USA MP (elected to Congress) age 41 dies from COVID

If this was a case of a drunk getting behind the wheel and smashing into a concrete divider, well, that’s what you get for being dumb.
This is more of a case of a drunk getting behind the wheel, saying “Yahoo! Follow me” and then crashing into a crowd of innocent bystanders.

1 Like

Blimey! I thought us limeys were the ones for gallows humour.

Actually, there isn’t any humour. There’s a strong whiff of the old schadenfreude.

4 Likes

Eh another one.

Gross and morbid. Sickening to see people enjoying tragic news.

1 Like

Apologies if it sounds a bit callous. Actually that was the less damaging article. It highlights his work in a positive way.

However, I find it worrying as in my own country the question did come up as a significant portion of the legislature got COVID: at what point will governing be compromised?

Hence the issue when folk from Macron to some elected senator catches this unpredictable bug.

You know what it means when it says “X died of [insert disease name] complications,” right?

Another one what?

If your stupid, callous behavior leads you to dismiss the virus, thus directly contributing to the worst death toll on the planet, you deserve everything you get.

— Wide range of outcomes — from no symptoms to death — made it too easy to dismiss the virus

Dr. Fauci said he’s never seen a virus like this one, where 40% of those infected have no symptoms at all, while 20% to 25% get symptoms so severe they may need hospitalization or die.

“The mystery of how you can have so many people who have no symptoms, and so many people who get seriously impacted, is one of the reasons why we have a messaging difficulty,” Fauci said. “Because most of the people who do well are young people, and they say, ‘What do I got to worry about?’ … So they say to themselves, ‘Why do I need to interrupt my life?’”

But that sentiment has had serious consequences and has been a factor in the worst death toll of any nation in the world — more than 335,000 deaths. And public health activities such as mask wearing became politicized.

2 Likes

Yes, that if he had not gotten Covid, those complications would not have arises and killed him.

Legislator. I said it in my previous post. How many so far? 3?

The tragedy is there fools encouraged others to commit stupid acts. Nobody is enjoying; just pointing out facts.

1 Like

I can’t understand this “serves him right for not wearing a mask!” stuff. One of the things I try to point out in the Open thread is that masks are not a magic talisman or a force-field shield. In countries where mask-wearing is standard, it goes without saying that most of the people who get sick and/or die became infected despite wearing a mask.

The guy was just very unlucky. I don’t see any need to gloat. And it sounds to me as if the doctors tried to intubate … which is now dismissed as a bad idea (oxygen delivered via a mask being the best-practice choice whenever possible) precisely because the stress of the procedure can cause heart attacks in those susceptible.

2 Likes

Not a second too soon IMO

Refusing to wear a proper medical grade face mask in the midst of a pandemic because you’re a proponent of junk science makes you part of the problem and problems are meant to be solved.

Good grief guys. I’m baffled that the caring, feeling brigade apparently think that someone dying is a good thing. Maybe we should have death squads roving around shooting non-mask-wearers on sight?

3 Likes

Nobody is gloating. Pointing out that people face consequences for their behavior is not gloating.

1 Like

When I point out that people with Metabolic Syndrome are 100 times more likely to die than anybody else - ie., that getting yourself healthy is likely to be much more effective at reducing risk of death - I get called a Nazi.

2 Likes