🇺🇸 USA |Renting a car in California

Planning to rent a car in California. I have a California driver’s license but now live in Taiwan. When I go to the Avis’s website, it asked if you are an US resident. If not it seems to be quite bit more expensive.

Correct.

1 Like

U have a USA passport?

Yes.US citizen. Can I rent as a resident then?

Generally I find that when I put “Taiwan” down as my place of residence all rental companies charge a higher fee. (Maybe something to do with Taiwanese and pedestrian crosswalks…) That’s why I resorted to just using my Australian license whenever renting a car abroad.

1 Like

if you have a ca drivers license, then they’ll think you’re a resident, and you’ll get the cheaper price. Just tell them you’re a resident. I’ve always used Enterprise in Ca as they’ve always been cheapest for me and you can pick up at airport and drop off at other location if you dont need to use it the whole trip.

Don’t mention Taiwan at all. With a USA passport and valid DL you can rent a car without paying the non-resident rate.

If you still have a valid California driver’s license, then for all intents and purposes you are still a California resident as far as the State of California is concerned. There shouldn’t be an issue renting a car as a US resident.

Just use the address that’s printed on your license.

1 Like

Thanks. Do you have any suggestions about liability insurance. I think my credit card will cover collision.

I think you are required by law to at least have liability.

The car rental company should be able to provide you with whatever insurance you are legally required to have, for an added fee.

not legal advice. just thinking out loud. they probably ask about residence because it is important legally. I would think probably insurance related.

either way, if you spend the big bucks on the hottest insurance package and they found in a court case after you got in a wreck that you lied about your residence status you may very likely not be covered. might get a fraud case to boot. with thinking about. if one were to lie to insurance como, one might just pay the bare minimum because in an accident where one is at fault one is probably screwed anyway due to the fraudulent paperwork from the get go. Seems odd to me to spend more while voiding the insurance right off the bat.

I wouldn’t worry about it. The US doesn’t have very clear definitions of residency (except the IRS, if you’re dealing with taxes). It’s not like hukou.

If you have a California license, then you’re a resident of California who just got back from a very long trip to Taiwan as far as anyone is concerned (including the insurance company). You’re not lying.

Indeed. wink wink. my point was about the actual reason people get insurance is because the nitty gritty law side of things and court. if it goes that way, they will find out your absence and length of stay etc fairly easily and quickly. no idea about california, but many places have these laws that state if you are out of country for xx amount of time, you are not a resident. people may want to he, or not want to be for many reasons,especially taxes on income, property and all that stuff. Everyone’s situation and location has numerous variables. just be aware of these laws as well of the purpose of having insurance and the fact the insurance companies are going to find a way out of paying just as much as the IRS is finding ways for you to pay taxes.

not a problem til it’s a problem :slight_smile:

@pikabon is the address on your California driver’s license still yours? If not then that driver’s license may not be valid if you did not renew the license before leaving that address.

Actually I have renewed my license and planning to go pick it up. My rental period is before my old license expires.

Do you still pay California state taxes? If so then you have not moved your domicile overseas and may still be considered a resident.

I have file California taxes last two years.