USA Tax Help: Does Taiwanese Wife Need ITIN Number?

Hey guys,

I’m a USA Citizen that got married last year to a Taiwanese Citizen in Taiwan and we have lived in Taiwan for all of the past year (and was planning on filing for the Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion credit).

When trying to file my taxes through TurboTax this year, I thought that I could use “Married Filing Separately” but TurboTax is stating that I’ll need to get an ITIN or SSN number for my wife? Since she does not yet have a green card (we haven’t started the application process yet), I assume that this will have to be an ITIN number?

The process to get an ITIN number looked a little involved, so just thought I’d make sure that’s what needs to be done before starting down that road. I assume that she doesn’t have to file a USA tax return as well?

Thanks for any help!

if you file jointly (to get married couple deduction), then need SS# or whatever.
If you want to make it easy, then do not declare her as dependent in 2019.
If she does not have greencard, then can choose to Not declare her as dependent. I do mine through CPA, so I don’t know the process (for above) on TurboTax, etc.

1 Like

If Turbotax won’t take NRA as an option under the spouse’s social security #, do it anyway, but file on paper rather than efile.
You are required to file as MFS, not single.

1 Like

Yes, she needs an ITIN. I think you can send the return in with her ITIN left blank (although Turbotax probably won’t allow this) if it’s a filing deadline issue. However, you are super early for filing a 2019 return, so you might as well just get the ITIN first. It’s not that hard.

If you choose to file as “married filing separately” and your spouse is not a US person for tax purposes, then she doesn’t have to file another US tax return for herself.

Freedom!

1 Like

A tax accountant once told me you could write NRA for non-resident alien in the box, but it won’t work with online forms. You can only do that if you file the printed forms. Otherwise, the ITIN is needed.

1 Like

Bumping this thread. Since 2022 was the first year being married to my wife, I included her on my taxes and filed jointly. I included a W-7 which I had not really thought much about until last week. I was apparently supposed to send the W-7 along with the rest of my tax forms to the ITIN office. Due to this mistake, I need to resend a new W-7. The old one would’ve failed anyways as I had only included a photocopy of her passport. I’m just learning that they want a physical copy of her passport. Of course I’m not gonna send the actual one. I know AIT can notarize documents…but it seems only U.S. Military personnel can notarize for W-7(unless I’m misunderstanding).

TL;DR - Need to refile W-7. Don’t want to send my wife’s actual passport to the IRS because who the hell knows when it will come back. Has anyone had a notary(AIT or other) notarize spouses’s documents(passport/身份證) for a W-7? Also what other documents did people send?

Update: ope it seems AIT will notarize passports for W-7.

1 Like