šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø USA | Texas Cities, which is better

Schools are great in Grapevine.
Lewisville High and others are very good schools.

Lubbock is an interesting place. :wink:

Dallas is nice and Houston is more ghetto.

Austin is a new tech hub but going through Caifornication.

Thanks, Plano does have of Asia people and shops (any Toyota USA HQ which move there from California). I will pass along the info. Any idea are local schools decent and safe?

Plano, particular, Plano West has one of the best school districts in the country. Itā€™s an affluent area with good funding.

2 Likes

Thanks ! I will search it pass along the info.

My wife (Taiwanese) and I (Texan) moved back from a short two-year stay in Texas a few years ago.

The Asian community (if thatā€™s important for your friend) in Houston is generally moving to Sugar Land these days. There is a Chinatown in southwest Houston (around Bellaire and Sharpstown) but I wouldnā€™t recommend living there. I would take my wife to eat there sometimes, but we would get food and quickly leave. Itā€™s not a safe area.

My wife really enjoyed living in The Woodlands (north Houston suburb) but there is not much of an Asian community thereā€“one small Asian market run by people from Hong Kong and Korea. The market was fine for weekly needs, but she would have me drive her to Houston at least once per month to shop at 99 Ranch (a Taiwanese-owned Asian market chain).

We also lived in Fort Worth Irving for a short period of time. She generally hated it, but we were only in that area to be close to here office. Iā€™d agree with SuiGeneris: avoid Irving.

When living in Dallas/Fort Worth, we often drove to Carrolton to go to 99 Ranch and the restaurants around there. It seemed like a nice area (better than Irving for sure). We also spent time in Southlake every weekend. My wife liked that area a lot, but like The Woodlands, not sure there is much of an Asian community.

I studied in College Station at Texas A&M (the reason we were in Texas). My wife would make the long commute with me sometimes. She loved one of the Korean restaurants in town, so much that she says I will have to drive her there if she ever goes back to Texas with me. That being said, I would not recommend anyone live in College Station (we chose not to).

2 Likes

College station=redneck capital of Texas

Iā€™ve traveled to Texas many many times, and just this past Feb spent 6 days in Houston, in March we spent 12 days in Austin (SXSW!!) and 5 days in Dallas. I have kinda grown fond of TX.

Houston is my top choice strictly for Chinese and/or Taiwanese amenities. There are good schools and itā€™s not too too far from the beach. (Galveston is the most popular, maybe 45-60 min away?)

Dallas is a very worthy contender. My cousin-in-law just moved to Plano so we spent a lot of time there visiting him. Dallas, and Plano in particular, has lots of good Chinese food (didnā€™t pay attention to Taiwanese specifically) and good schools.

Iā€™ll also mention that Austin has improved dramatically!!! My last visit was 2018 and even in that amount of time things have changed a lot. They have a 99 Ranch, H-Mart and a few other legit Asian groceries/chains. Even a Daiso! My theory is that Austin has the booming tech scene + major university presence, which both draw a sizable East Asian population, sure. However they also benefit from being close to in-state Dallas and Houston which have lots of the providers/vendors for these businesses that were looking to expand or relocate. So both the demand and supply side of this equation were able to increase quickly, allowing for a boom in amenities in a short amount of time.

Definitely advise against Lubbock or any of the other small college towns.

1 Like

You should watch the movie.

Do they have any clue how big Texas is or how big even one city in Texas is?

More than huge.

Most cities will be okay, Texas-wise, if you find the right area and neighborhood.

Taiwanese might feel more comfortable in a city with a Chinatown.

Austin is the go-to place these days.

Not many people know there is a Paris in Texas. FYI

Paris, Texas

Such a good movie

I am curious why you did not like College Station? Is it not like a college town?

If it had just been me alone without my wife, it would have been fine short term I suppose, but there just isnā€™t much there. Many graduate students and faculty commute from Houston or Austin because College Station has little to offer for life outside the university.

My wife is a city girl who wasnā€™t terribly excited to leave Taiwan for Texas. I didnā€™t think College Station would be a good fit. For those not associated with the university, I wouldnā€™t recommend it.

1 Like

Now, listen to this, and Iā€™ll tell you 'bout the Texas
Iā€™ll tell you 'bout the Texas radio
Iā€™ll tell you 'bout the hopeless night
Wandering the Western dream
Tell you 'bout the maiden with wrought iron soul
The WASP (Texas Radio and the Big Beat) - YouTube

1 Like

OK< does not not sound good.

I did remember Southlake, and thought is good. They seem have interest in that area and Plano. Also Lubbock as they have close friend there at the Uni, but seems no one but their friend likes the town.

So why your advise against Lubbock? Just curious as others have not said much about the city.

LoL everything

2 Likes

Imagine a strip mall and some ag buildings in the desert in the middle of nowhere. Thatā€™s the whole place; a few miles worth. Makes me cringe thinking about living there.

1 Like