🇺🇸 USA | Texas Cities, which is better

Small town TX is very different from big city TX. Particularly for a foreign immigrant. I wouldn’t want to spend much time there even though I’m born and raised in America.

Now being a big university town softens that a little bit, but it still wouldn’t be terribly diverse, cosmopolitan, or offer much in the way of international amenities. Also consider that Lubbock, compared to Waco or College Station for example, is super far from any big city. It’s about 5 hours from Dallas (or even OKC, El Paso, etc) Nothing is nearby except Midland (2 hours) which probably isn’t any better than Lubbock lol. I spent a week there (albeit over a decade ago) but it’s basically a larger “small town TX” that I described at the beginning of this post. Very conservative, very homogenous.

Can I also suggest Frisco? The schools are not the best, they fall behind Plano in terms of academics and athletes. (I would check again because it’s been some time since I lived there and they might have improved) Property should be cheaper than Plano unless sometime changed in the last 5-6 years.

But it’s much more of a newer city that has been making a lot of moves to be more family friendly. They have an In and out burger for example, one of the first if not the first city outside of California to get an in n out burger.

I used to be part of the youth mayors council that would meet with the mayor and suggest projects to make the city better.

Another suggestion is Highland Park. Old money town outside of Dallas. Oil money types. Nice place to be for sure if you’re looking for a safe family place.

Word of advice. Do not tailgate cars in Texas. They don’t take kindly to that. It’s not uncommon for Texans to keep a gun in their car.

I don’t think anyone mentioned Richardson?

It’s probably the highest concentration of Asian people in the Dallas suburbs. If that’s something important to them; that might be for them. I personally wasn’t keen on that part of town. Plano and Frisco were much nicer.

They will need a car in Texas btw. It’s not optional. I hope they get a nice truck and get with the Texas culture.

1 Like

Yes ! Richardson is nice with the Uni there and I like Frisco, Taiwanese and other Asian markets and cafes there and new mall.

They moved to the Metroplex (Frisco), other Taiwanese in the area was the made them choose there. The second choice they looked at was Sugarland. They got green card from the lotto for the green card.

They want a F-150 but its more expensive than it seems.

1 Like