🛂 🇺🇸 USA | US Passport Expires in August: Travel to US and come back to Taiwan?

I am travelling to the US in the first week of June, and my US Passport (and ARC) expire in August.

1. Should I re-new by mail and risk missing my flight, or can I travel to the US and still come back?
  2. is there any way to expedite my US passport renewal?

I’ve been scouring internet resources but can’t find the definitive answer.
Many thanks.

Wait for the experts to respond, but I’m pretty sure you need 6 months.

Well, I am ready to mail the application out in the morning, but the new one needs to be here in 6 1/2 weeks. Getting to the US is no problem, but coming back could be an issue.

I’d be more concerned about coming back on an expired ARC. If you let your ARC expire and enter with visa free entry, your clock is reset, for starters, if you get a new ARC. Your time accumulated towards APRC goes bye bye.

Can you renew your ARC before leaving?

However, you cannot renew your ARC with a passport about to expire. This is a pickle.

1 Like

I think they plan to return to Taiwan before the passport/ARC expires. They just don’t know if they will be able to, because most countries usually require at least six months of validity in your passport to allow you to enter.

I think that only applies to tourists entering the country though.

I’m putting my money on them allowing you to return, seeing how you live in Taiwan. I mean, what are they going to do? Make you stay in a country where you don’t live?

1 Like

Yep, you can pay extra for faster service. Expedited service is currently slow (by mail) though.

I would return to Taiwan with a few weeks left on the ARC.
The ARC would expire while I waited for my new passport.
Just pay a fine? That would be better than missing my trip.
Aaaarrgh.

Expedited service is not available if you apply from Taiwan, but even this seems unclear to me.

Yea, it’s pretty explicit that it’s only for US and Canada - you’d need a mail forwarder of some sort.

they would give you a short term extension while you are waiting for your new passport, if you visit them before your ARC would expire, with a proof of you are applying for passport renewal, and you still have a reason for ARC.

you can enter if your arc and passport are valid.

Usually when you renew you can tell them that you will travel soon and they will let you keep it but ask that you destroy it (by cutting it) once you receive your new passport