Usability of Taiwanese credit cards online while abroad?

A question for people who travel more than I do: How usable are Taiwanese credit cards for online purchases while outside Taiwan? Hotel bookings, flight bookings, that kind of thing.

I’m going to Thailand at the end of the week, and it’s just occurred to me that often (always?) when I make an online purchase here with a Taiwanese card it requires SMS verification to approve the transaction… which I won’t be able to do because my prepaid phone number doesn’t work abroad (and, according to Chunghwa, it can’t be made to do so).

The cards in question would be with Mega Bank, Huanan, and Fubon/Costco. It seems like I can update my phone number in some of the apps/websites, but I’m not sure whether they accept non-Taiwanese numbers or require the customer to go into a branch to confirm the new number before using it for SMS verification? I don’t see any option for setting up transaction verification in the apps themselves, like I have with some of my UK cards.

So… is there a solution, or can I just not use my Taiwanese cards for online purchases while abroad?

Also, I assume physical purchases are generally fine, and it’s not necessary for me to tell the banks I want to use the cards abroad first?

I went into my bank, changed SMS verification to email verification, and that solved the problem for me.

4 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know that would be an option. That would be perfect if my banks allow it - which bank was that?

Never had any issues tbh. If u need to receive the SMS OTP just keep the tw SIM on, it will be received with a slight delay (like 30 secs in my experience).

1 Like

HSBC has two options sms or use security key generated by the phone app. So when traveling can use the security key.

It was Fubon. It was a few years ago now, but distinctly remember going into my local branch and requesting that very same thing. They sorted it out on the spot. Travelled in and out of Taiwan on multiple occasions, purchasing plane and train tickets online as needed. They even gave me a direct phone number to directly call them personally if I ran into any issues.

2 Likes

Problem is I can’t receive SMSs while abroad. I assume you can.

I guess that might depend on the country you’re travelling to.

I have an CHT esim in my phone. Works wonders

1 Like

With TW Mobile, never had issues in receiving SMS abroad. The restrictions on sending SMS abroad is not on the receiver, mostly on the sender.

TW banks don’t seem to have any restrictions on this

I have the Fubon Coscto credit card but I don’t have a bank account with them.
Normally when overseas I may use one of my foreign credit cards if my Taiwan cards do not work.

I should check with CTBC as I plan on buying return tickets from Australia Taiwan Australia on my China Airlines Co Branded card in the future.

I asked Chunghwa a year ago and was told it isn’t possible on a prepaid plan, and that there’s no solution like paying a deposit to allow overseas use either. It was also discussed in this thread:

1 Like

I see, I know that for instance Cathay United allows me to either choose SMS or email for the OTP.

Amex automatically sends both SMS and email for OTPs.

Maybe is worth exploring with ur card issuer.

1 Like

Mine work overseas no issues. I get sent my verification codes to my phone. If yours rely on SMS, ensure your phone works too.

DBS formerly known as Citibank

1 Like

I’ve never had an issue using TW credit cards overseas

I have had issues using TW debit cards overseas

2 Likes

here I can see some issues indeed, had issues too not just with TW debit cards, but even HK and Italian ones.

1 Like

Never assume. I just got back from almost three month trip to Indonesia, Phillipines and Vietnam and everything was fine. I went back home to the US and my card was blocked on the weekend. I called HSBC and they told me that the card would work on Monday. Luckily, it’s not my only card. It’s good to tell them you’re going overseas especially if you will make a lot of purchases.
As others have said, see if your bank will let you use email or electronic FOB option.
Always carry a second or third payment option. And make sure you can withdraw cash. I don’t know where you’re going, but if it’s places I went to, cash is king.

1 Like

I’ve never had any issues with Australian ones… What is the issue?

a lot of times they don’t work. it really depends on the scheme they run, in Europe there were all those crappy Maestro, VPay/Visa Electron which never worked online or sparingly worked outside of Europe to withdraw.

In HK most debit cards nowadays are Unionpay… HSBC Atm cards don’t even have a proper scheme, is the local proprietary HSBC group network ETC (which still works for domestic purposes since they r everywhere).

In Australia, (as far as I remember) they are either visa or mastercard. With them working everywhere a credit card does (even for Taiwan online stores where people say their foreign credit cards don’t work.)

1 Like