Usage of the word "America"

What’s next, should I correct Italians when they ask for an Americano with “It’s actually US Americano”

It’s well understood American refers to US citizens in the right context. Even other languages picked up on it like Italian and French.

maybe he is strongly say us Americans :laughing:

Wee Americans?

1 Like

…? Are you telling me what I understand?

You should take a moment and let the truth set you free: I, and a number of others from the USA, refer to ourselves as US Americans.

I’ve never heard of anyone referring to themselves as that. Maybe it’s just like you and a few others?

Not in New York they don’t.

Where ya from? It’s a big country. But I’ve never ever heard it. Or are you saying it’s an online thing?

I’ve never heard this used. I usually say I’m American, but wouldn’t object if anybody asks my nationality. I’ll say then that I’m a US citizen.

US American must be new.

1 Like

Would certainly seem to make things somewhat confusing for the identity-obsessed in America if you’re Mexican.

“I’m Mexican American.”
“Ok, where in the US do you live?”
“No, I’m Mexican American.”

Etc.

1 Like

Immigrant thing? That might make a bit more sense. I’m genuinely curious.

Regardless, American is definitely correct as one of the ways to describe a US citizen. It’s used and understood in the English language, and even in other languages that use it like Americano or Americain.

1 Like

Naw, I think we’re not just a few. We, my peers, came to that conclusion in elementary school. America is a continent, not a people. Kind of disregards all the other countries, the people in the US before the ‘colonization’…

So what do you call me?

Republic of China Taiwan US American?

NORTH America is a continent.

Can you share where you’re from? It might help.

American

4 Likes

I’m going to guess California. Sounds like something a Californian would say.

Sorry, US American Californian.

They also use American to describe US citizens in the UK everywhere I’ve been.

We were talking about American companies and everyone in grad school got it. Do I need to correct my professor and say it’s a US American company :joy:

1 Like

Let’s allow NoWh to respond. I don’t need speculation.

I don’t counsel identity issues online… :laughing:

I don’t really think much about all that. Andrew0409 is what I’ll call you.

If Democrats keep at it, pretty soon a guy’s going to have to bring a sandwich just to fuel up and get all the identities in. Maybe two.

WTH? Not used to hearing “US American” in my corner of California. It is kind of a big state, so YMMV.