Usage of the word "America"

That’s what takes it to genius level.

So why are you calling them “Americans”?

The full name is “The United States of America”. “America” is simply shortening it. I don’t see anything particularly heinous about that.

@unwat, you’ve got a bite!

1 Like

To be fair I’m half kidding. Only half though. It’s not the name itself, but the name reflecting so well their usual ethnocentrism, their usual attitude of “hey! I’m here! I can’t see beyond my nose! I come from American, the greatest country in the World!”.

Meh.

I have considered several times to write down here why I kinda despise “Americans”. Maybe I’ll do it, although now that I’m announcing it my two paragraph explanation will probably disappoint a bit xD

2 Likes

We’ve been using it since well before that, don’t forget. We were the first to break the chains off. Kind of made us a little attached to it I guess.

And just for the record, I saw what that guy did there with the “teaching American”. It’s just stupid and no, it doesn’t make my point any less valid.

I’m serious haha.

Doesn’t matter. We say North, (sometimes) Central, and South America, making them 3 different Americas. Or as mad_masala’s link said “America” is also used to refer to both continents. America was America before the USA was America. We just stole that name like we stole land that wasn’t ours and murdered people darker than us.

I understand the “America is just shortening the name” thing, but doing so is essentially ignoring the rest of America like only one part of it matters.

EDIT: whoops I can’t read. I thought the question was “why do you call them Americas”
Truth is I’m not consistent. I always call the country the US, USA, or United States of America. There’s no other way to say “people from the US” in one word. USeans? But I do usually try to avoid saying “Americans,” and hate myself a little when I do.

2 Likes

Still not totally sure about you @unwat because there are people who could say the same trolling (and I do see how it could be trolling) and people who would say that seriously.

However, I have to say that their sin is more unintentional but again reflects so much and so well certain “American” attitude that I and many other people see and profoundly dislike.

I hear you. I’ve trolled flat earth groups on facebook for a while until they kicked me out. They sound as crazy as I actually am about certain topics.

Yes. this is why. I’m just bad at words.

No no no. You have a natural gift. Don’t sell yourself short. Please feel free to post whatever is on your mind.

2 Likes

Man, so bad to have those udders but also hoofs… For me it would be a constant frustration.

Painfully scratched…

The bovine giveth and the bovine taketh away… :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

There’s 300 million Americans, I just find it daft to apply such a broad genralization to any country or group of people*.

*I may make an exception for Chinese tourists.

1 Like

xD
And as for the non spoilered text, it’s a generalisation. As long as you know what it is and you are the legal age you can use them no problem.

Three years of quiet, and then you just randomly wake the sleeping Masala?! :wall:

@RickRoll what have you done? :runaway:

He needed some opportunity to exercise his power.

1 Like

Don’t pretend you guys don’t enjoy @mad_masala’s great contributions. :joy:
Especially you two :wink:

No, not understood. That’s not true. I’m from there, and if I must, I call myself a US American. Plenty of us do. I think you’re projecting, but I know Mr eCanada is right, eh? Damn big land mass most of which is not the USA. It’s easy, and lot’s of people do it, but it’s wrong.

If one wants to correctly lump billions of people into one handy name - US Americans - so that one can properly project some opinion like ‘All US Americans have guns’ or ‘US Americans hate guns’ or whatever, one should be correct with the label they use. There are a number of others who think this way and use this moniker.

Plus, ‘correct’ is cool. Now you know :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yes, it is.

I’ve never heard anyone call themselves US American…

Names for United States citizens

2 Likes

Yeah…wut?

:idunno: