Using an Agency to Find a Job

Has anyone done it?

A lot of people have done it, and some have regretted.
In this particular case, I suggest you use the search function.

I did it :notworthy:

The answer is: It depends!

Like some schools, some agencies are very, very bad.

However, if the agency takes the time to really screen schools carefully, it could be a very good way for you to have many options.

I’d recommend the following:

1. Be sure that you NEVER sign a contract with the agency. It’s fine if they help you to sign a contract with a school of your liking. However, you shouldn’t sign a contract directly with the recruiter.

2. Make sure that their services are FREE. Any agent that charges you money, is an agent to avoid.

Anyway, that is my take! Agents can be a very positive thing, but make sure you choose the right one.

www.Buxiban.com is a great place to find a good one and start your search…

And don’t negotiate with a recruiter until you are actually in Taiwan.

That’s not always applicable, as many of them confirm jobs for you before you even arrive in Taiwan. That is a good, important and useful service for a lot of people.

You just need to make known all of your wants and questions. It’s important that people do their own due diligence to find what they are looking for in a school.

It seems to me that recruiters can play a helpful role as long as you don’t expect too much from them and as long as you research both the recruiter and the positions that they offer carefully.

I have been very impressed by the amount of positive feedback we have been receiving about Reach to Teach Recruiting so I would certainly recommend that they are worth contacting. Mitch at Reach To Teach goes out of his way to ensure that positions are properly matched to teachers and vice versa. His support is probably second to none and he is a hell of a nice guy too. The guys over at TaiwanHo also speak highly of him.

Dewey Consultants are another company that has been the subject of consistent positive reports and it seems to me that they are doing their best to protect the rights of teachers. They are also worth a look for anyone who wants to use a recruiter.

Oh, and I don’t get any gratuity for recommending these companies, I just believe that they are the sorts of companies that we should all support in order to set a positive example for other companies to follow.

Some agncies are ok, just make sure they answer questions to your satisfacion and keep you options open, they can be very good as they offer you many different options… :sunglasses:

[quote=“brian”]It seems to me that recruiters can play a helpful role as long as you don’t expect too much from them and as long as you research both the recruiter and the positions that they offer carefully.

I have been very impressed by the amount of positive feedback we have been receiving about Reach to Teach Recruiting so I would certainly recommend that they are worth contacting. Mitch at Reach To Teach goes out of his way to ensure that positions are properly matched to teachers and vice versa. His support is probably second to none and he is a hell of a nice guy too. The guys over at TaiwanHo also speak highly of him.

Dewey Consultants are another company that has been the subject of consistent positive reports and it seems to me that they are doing their best to protect the rights of teachers. They are also worth a look for anyone who wants to use a recruiter.

Oh, and I don’t get any gratuity for recommending these companies, I just believe that they are the sorts of companies that we should all support in order to set a positive example for other companies to follow.[/quote]

Yes, Dewey, consistantly good value. There are a couple of guys that work for them that do work over and above the call of duty. My hat is off to them.

Another company, that uses the name of a mythical fire breathing creature in its name, is, in my opinion, possibly not so good.