Utopia Taiwan 2105

Time: the future

Place: Taiwan, 2105

The rules: Taiwan has changed. It has become a normal country, in the best sense of the term; there is a regular change in ruling parties in a democratic two-party system, with the DPP changing into the Democratic People’s Party and the KMT morphing into the TMK, The Mandarin Kings;
there are no more fights on TV in the leggie, people no longer run red lights, betel nut chewing is a thing of the past (although betel nut beauties remain, selling snacks along the roadsides); bosses pay up on time; a man’s word is his word; ethnic divisions are a thing of the past; kids don’t go to cram school all the time now; EVERYTHING about the place has changed, and Taiwan is now almost a utopia on Earth, and no longer a backwater banana republic; peace has been established with partner China ( a free democratic country now), and…

YOU ARE STILL HERE: 2105. figuratively speaking. since we all be dead then.

What are your feeling about the place now?

The investment paid off. lol.

I think: “Krike, I’m over a thousand years old!!!” :laughing:

At a thousand, I’m probably happy to be feeling anything.

But tell me, do the creeks still foam and froth? When it rains, do things get dirty and sticky? Do the neighbours downstairs still burn ghost money in the stairwell? Is there now a sense of public space and respect for others in that space?

If I get the right answers to all those questions, I think I may retire here.
What the hell, I’m 1031 years old… I think it’s time.

It is 3005 and I am working my ass off every day to pay off my debts. The only person I owe more money to than my general practitioner is my cosmetic surgeon.

I thought it was already an Utopia of sorts…but maybe that’s just me.

In 3005? I sure as hell hope my great great great great great grandson is taking care of me, cos my pension fund sure isn’t going to last that long. And no more bu xi ban’s? I’ll definitely be out of a job then. but at the grand old age of 1030, I probably deserve it. :smiley:

The earth’s tectonic plates have shifted and the island of Taiwan no longer exists. The world is slowly emerging from the Dark Ages, which lasted several centuries after the decline and fall of the American Empire. All scholarship is still written in Ancient English and is even spoken by the scholar-monks, though most of the unwashed masses speak in their native vernaculars - Hugwainese, Juvva, Baraba, Millinxingian, etc. There is much excitement at the University of Goryqas after the discovery of several priceless ancient scrolls apparently written 1,000 years ago during the height of the ancient civilizations. It appears to be written in the Classical English of the Pax Americana era, though some argue it cannot be as the grammar and spelling are in places highly non-standard. For example, the word “Forumosa”, which appears several times on the headings of these scrolls, is not known to be a part of the Classical English lexicon. It may, however, be a name - of a great city or king, perhaps.

[quote=“Jaboney”]But tell me, do the creeks still foam and froth? When it rains, do things get dirty and sticky? Do the neighbours downstairs still burn ghost money in the stairwell? Is there now a sense of public space and respect for others in that space?

.[/quote]

No, the creeks no longer foam and froth…
When it rains, things no longer get dirty and sticky…
…and the neighbours downstairs no longer burn ghost money in the stairwell.

and there now a sense of public space and respect for others in that space, yes.

you see, in UTOPIA TAIWAN, things HAVE changed. Really.

I forgot to mention:

also:

the words CHABUDO and MEO BAN FA are no longer used here
stinky dofu is a thing of the past
people do not j-walk
non-Taiwanese are no longer called Atoah or even Weiguolen
ICRT can be heard islandwide loud and clear even in small villages
cellphones no longer ring inside movie theaters
drinking cold water when you have a cold is allowed
burning ghost money is outlawed and illegal
half the population has become Christian
The China Post is now called the Taiwan Herald
China Airlines has merged with EVA Airlines and is called CHEVA Airlines, nicknamed CHIVAS Airlines
The American Club in China (in Taipei) is now called The American Club in Taiwan Province
Chen Shui-bian face is on the 400 dollar bill
Hou Hsaio Shien is still making movies
There are no more earthquakes occuring here
Global warming has changed the coastline so that the entire West Coast is under water now
There is a bridge to Okinawa
Bird flu has killed almost everyone on the island
The Aborigines run the country from a highland palace in Alishan

So… uh… how is it still Taiwan?
Several of those are the things that keep me here.

[quote=“Cola”][quote=“Jaboney”]But tell me, do the creeks still foam and froth? When it rains, do things get dirty and sticky? Do the neighbours downstairs still burn ghost money in the stairwell? Is there now a sense of public space and respect for others in that space?

.[/quote]

No, the creeks no longer foam and froth…
When it rains, things no longer get dirty and sticky…
…and the neighbours downstairs no longer burn ghost money in the stairwell.

and there now a sense of public space and respect for others in that space, yes.

you see, in UTOPIA TAIWAN, things HAVE changed. Really.

I forgot to mention:

also:

the words CHABUDO and MEO BAN FA are no longer used here
stinky dofu is a thing of the past
people do not j-walk
non-Taiwanese are no longer called Atoah or even Weiguolen
ICRT can be heard islandwide loud and clear even in small villages
cellphones no longer ring inside movie theaters
drinking cold water when you have a cold is allowed
burning ghost money is outlawed and illegal
half the population has become Christian
The China Post is now called the Taiwan Herald
China Airlines has merged with EVA Airlines and is called CHEVA Airlines, nicknamed CHIVAS Airlines
The American Club in China (in Taipei) is now called The American Club in Taiwan Province
Chen Shui-bian face is on the 400 dollar bill
Hou Hsaio Shien is still making movies
There are no more earthquakes occuring here
Global warming has changed the coastline so that the entire West Coast is under water now
There is a bridge to Okinawa
Bird flu has killed almost everyone on the island
The Aborigines run the country from a highland palace in Alishan[/quote]

No offence Cola, but most of this sounds awful… :sick:

And that which doesn’t sound awful doesn’t sound at all like the Taiwan I (and I think most of us who have been here for a long time) have come to love and cherish.

The smell and reek of of smelly tofu is absolutely awful to me too, but there is not other road marker quite like it. As in, “you know Minzu lu, near the 7-11 where they have that smelly tofu stand? Just turn left there. I’ll be waiting outside the coffee shop for you…”

And the monthly burning of paper money. Half the time I forget if it’s Tuesday or Wednesday… But when I see the old ladies setting up the burning urns, tables and stands, then I always know what time of month it is and that, indeed, another month has passed (by the lunar calendar anyway).

As a Christian, having half the population Christian too does at first come as a thrilling thought. But then, how does that effect all the other offshoots of Taiwanese and Chinese culture? Are there still loud banging parades through the streets blocking traffic on a gods birthday? Are there still dances and movies held and shown at temples? Do ladies still dance naked for the gods?

J-walking? I’m afraid that’s a very North American concept to gripe about… Everyone does it all over South America, Asia and Africa. It, and the wild traffic conditions are actually some of the things that make me feel at home here… :help: Not to mention the lack of respect for people’s personal space and food stalls on the pavements (sorry…sidewalks).

The only thing that I would actually be thrilled about is if the environment got cleaned up, so that Taiwan could once again legitimately call itself (albeit unofficially) by it’s Portuguese name. Ihla Formosa. Beautiful Island.

Because in every other respect, it is and always will be to me, a beautiful island.

The day I stop feeling like that about Taiwan, that is the day I buy my ticket back home.

[quote=“SuchAFob”]So… uh… how is it still Taiwan?
Several of those are the things that keep me here.[/quote]

That’s kinda what I was thinking, in a much more long-winded sort of way… :bravo:

Thanks for putting it so eloquently… :notworthy:

Does our penises still work by 3005?
I would be really outraged if I was wearing an adult diaper in the year 3005.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Does our penises still work by 3005?
I would be really outraged if I was wearing an adult diaper in the year 3005.[/quote]

Being 1000+ years old I’d be happy if anything still works…

My point, which no one appeared to get, was that 3005 is way too far in the future for the type of thing that Cola is talking about. For all we know we’ll be communicating by telepathy and living on Sirius by 3005. Nobody might even speak Chinese or Taiwanese or English by 3005, and even if they do, with the changes in dialect as the language evolves they’ll be incomprehensible to visitors from 1000 years past. New religions might supplant Christianity and Buddhism. Think about how things were in 1005 compared to 2005.

If Cola had said 2105, that would have been more realistic. I supposed people might still be using cell phones and driving cars and airplanes in 2105, unless better technology supplants them in the next 100 years.

[quote=“mod lang”]My point, which no one appeared to get, was that 3005 is way too far in the future for the type of thing that Cola is talking about. For all we know we’ll be communicating by telepathy and living on Sirius by 3005. Nobody might even speak Chinese or Taiwanese or English by 3005, and even if they do, with the changes in dialect as the language evolves they’ll be incomprehensible to visitors from 1000 years past. New religions might supplant Christianity and Buddhism. Think about how things were in 1005 compared to 2005.

If Cola had said 2105, that would have been more realistic. I supposed people might still be using cell phones and driving cars and airplanes in 2105, unless better technology supplants them in the next 100 years.[/quote]

good point, mod lang.
Okay, let’s change the date to 2105.

Go!