UV Index

Extreme today most of Taiwan.

2 Likes

Their scale must be different, I barely get sunburned here while I cook like a chicken in Canada.

I’ve wondered about this: I’d burn today with enough time, yeah, but I’d burn a lot faster on some summer days. It’d be like they just have “hot” when it’s over 32 degrees, without indicating if it’s 33 or 44.

Same, it’s weird isn’t it? I’ve always thought the clouds and pollution protect my skin from getting burnt but no idea why really. I only ever got burnt once in Taiwan, and that was in Penghu

I’ve always wondered if the ozone layer is thinner in Canada like it is in the antarctic as well.

If it were, wouldnt the UV be bad too?

I was outside for about 3 hours today and its cloudy. Burnt to shit, head pounding and eyes dry and Messed up. Body confirms severe UV.

We often notice, mostly via headaches, nausea, shitting/puking, skin damage, eye irritations etc that certain times the radiation is off the charts. Sometimes even when working in the rain. I work with han and aboriginals, the other foreigners are usually se asian (just to say they have much stronger skin than this princess). They all get the same certain days. I sometimes wonder if its solar flares or something because some days are noticeably way worse despite CWB rating stating the usual 8~14.

Edit to add. Canada has less pollution by along shot. I get burnt more in taitung than kaohsiung or taipei for example. I assume largely due to air particles. Canada in the summer is also closer to the sun than taiwan.

Yea. That’s my point. What does 11 actually mean?

1 Like

There are other wavelengths however that also affect us and all other life. Uv rating is just a standard of measuring certain wavelengths and relations to biology.

One of the first this I noticed moving from Singapore to Taiwan is how harsh the sun felt on skin.

Felt burning if in direct sunlight for even a couple minutes.

Can confirm, I got sunburned yesterday.

1 Like

Yes. I know what this is. I am questioning if the same standards apply.

UV index is much better today one benefit of overcast Skies.

Yikes

I burn easy so I have a shortcut to UVIMate on my home screen

1 Like

This thread is verytellin of members skin pigmentation hehe. I wish i had better skin like asians, but i am either pasty or glowing. Its a good idea to not consider heat and UV in the same category. Singapore is probably less due to air particles. Ts way more humid than taiwan. I rarely get burnt a sbad in super tropical areas. I get ultra burnt here california and such places. Worse in western norh america. I put t down to latitude and air particles. Atmosphere/ozone obviously play an important role as well. But ita not directly heat related like some perhaps think. Meaning some cold countries can sunburn more easily than some tropical ones at times.

@marco uv index is scientific, not political. I may be wrong, but it should be a global standard. But hey, we say the same thing about the metric system and you know who is like nuh uh.

I’m not saying it’s unscientific or political.

I’m simply asking what is their standard. Oftentimes many countries use different standards.

Why do I burn to a crisp in Canada, but brown nicely in Taiwan?

And I’m outside more in Taiwan than in Canada.

Country standards google will probably tell you.

My theory is written above. Taiwan has DIRTY air. It is also WAY more humid, adding more particles in the air that get between you and the sun. If you go to taitung in the summer you will burn just like in canada. Without taking ozone into consideration, you can assume canada in summer you should burn faster because you are closer to the sun. Earth tilt. I jave nriced this time and again for many years workin outside. After a huge rain and a sunny day following, i burn far surer than a month of no rain and smogy sun weather. i have different work clothes for exactly that reason.

Got well burned last weekend after half a day in the park with the kids!

1 Like

No it’s not.
Taiwan is on the Tropic of Cancer, so the sun is directly overhead at noon in the summer. Canada is at a higher latitude, so further around the earth’s curvature and therefore further away from the sun.
That difference in distance is not really important though.
It’s more about the thickness of atmosphere, through which the sun’s radiation must travel, being greater at the higher latitude.

3 Likes

An I high UV experience from last summer