Vacation = Breach

You made an agreement, and while the agreement may have unreasonable terms, it is your choice whether you keep your agreement or not. I mean, we’re talking about whether or not you take a vacation in July rather than wait two months, not some huge civil rights violation. Are the tickets really set in stone? Usually you can get an airline to change non-refundable international tickets for around US$150-200. And I’d be willing to take a wild guess that the airline would love to be able to free up a seat during their peak travel season.

Yes, your boss is being unreasonable, but I think you are being a bit unreasonable yourself. Other than the tickets already being bought, you really have no good reason for not waiting until the end of the contract. You want to take vacation in July, you don’t need to. You will have to decide if the consequences of doing so is worth it. If you decide to break the contract to go on vacation then you have to take at least some responsibility for the consequences of that decision.

Your boss is unreasonable in having a non-prorated penalty in the contract. Your boss is unreasonable at not accepting a compromise penalty. However, you are the one who is completely responsible for the decision to breach, not your boss. And I think you still have an opportunity to fulfill your agreement if you want to. Up to you.

My plane tickets are free. I did not buy them. There dates were set before they were awarded to me. If I do not use them on those dates, they are gone. I told my boss about them the day I received them.

I guess this whole post has drifted off topic. I was discussing the legal consequences of taking a vacation. This post is not about whether I am a nicer person than my boss.

If you won the lottery, but you had to go home that night to collect a fortune or you lost it, you would be on a plane with 0 days warning to your boss. Does that mean you are a horrible person trying to screw over your innocent boss? Or are you just making a rational decision?

This post is about the consequences of a decision (is it a breach? What are your legal rights? What are your bosses?) not whether or not you are a jerk.

So, we told you and you don’t care … even you know the consequences … use the tickets, go home, nobody keeps you from going. But don’t be surprised when returning …

If I won the lottery, then the $32,000 contract penalty would be worth the breaking of the contract. Are free plane tickets worth it? Seems they are pretty close in value to me.

I think what everyone is try to say is that it’s your decision to break it, and your decision whether or not to face the consequences.

If I won the lottery, then the $32,000 contract penalty would be worth the breaking of the contract. Are free plane tickets worth it? Seems they are pretty close in value to me.

I think what everyone is try to say is that it’s your decision to break it, and your decision whether or not to face the consequences.[/quote]

And depending on your boss’s guanxi with the CLA/MOE/whoever it is these days, you may have trouble getting a new work permit when you return, particularly if you break a legally binding contract.

Point 1: FFS people this is a 7-hour-a-week job! If the boss is sponsoring his ARC, then she’s the one who’s in breach of the law which requires that bushibans give at least 14 paid working hours to foreign teachers. If she’s not sponsoring his ARC, then he has little obligation to her anyway. Giving 2 months notice to leave a 7-hour-a-week job is more than reasonable. According labor law, he’s only required to give 10 days.[quote] Article 16 states:

1. Where a worker has continuously worked for more than three months but less than one year, the notice shall be given 10 days in advance.[/quote]

Point 2: Even if she is sponsoring his work visa right now, he can very easily get a new 1-5 year multi-entry visa at a TECRO office in the U.S. while he’s back. And as long as he’s given proper notice before leaving this job, he shouldn’t have any troubles getting a new work visa in the future. No reason for mass hysteria here.

Point 3: If a boss includes some penalty in a contract that’s against the law, the law prevails over the contract. As the labor dept said, trying to recoup the entire paid-training expense is unreasonable and at most, he should only be required to pay back 2/12 of the total amount since he has fulfilled 10 months of the 12 month contract. She could try to take him to civil court, but it seems unlikely that she would go that length when she’s got a pretty weak legal leg to stand on, and the expense would likely be more than the 30k she’s trying to hit him up for.

Point 4: You all are assuming that all subs are illegal; however, if it’s someone here on a marriage visa, then that person has all the same working rights as a Taiwanese person. Not all subs are illegal.

I’m not sure why everyone is ganging up on this guy, but it’s totally uncalled for!

Yes, that is true. Needle in a haystack.
Try finding one that can cover those hours…lol

Or some bloke with an APRC and an open work permit. They count too…

LOL

Legalese aside…I am betting her view is:

1. She feels like she is getting screwed over.
  2. So she will screw you with the training pay.
    [ used to be you only got that back when you COMPLETED the contract shrugs]
  3. You proposed a reasonable solution…BUT
  4. She must assume the risk of getting busted with an illegal sub.

5…FREE tickets vs possible KMA on future work permits
Free tickets worth approximately 37- 40000 NT?
6. Do keep in mind…you are a “guest” in the country…and all the legalese can end up useless to you and bite you in the butt if you’re not careful.

:noway:

Bullshit. This isn’t a full-time job, it’s a 7-hours-a-week one. He’s giving two months notice now of his intention to leave, if she doesn’t want to accept a sub. There’s no way that she can claim she’s getting screwed over. It sounds more like a convenient way for her to pocket 30k.

He’s totally within his legal rights to leave, and she has no basis for withholding his pay. She knows this too. Some Taiwanese bosses may try screw over their employees, in the hopes that those employees don’t know their rights and quietly accept it. That’s the Taiwanese way But, if you get tough with them back, they usually back down. In this case, the law is on Lawferret’s side, so there’s absolutely no reason that he should give in to her unreasonable demands.

Not true.

This has been interpreted by the CLA that penalties may not be deducted from wages at all. There’s some question of how to interpret what ‘advance deduction’ means, but the conservative reading is that penalties cannot be deducted from any wages earned. It does not say nor has the CLA interpreted it to mean that penalties are prohibited. It’s just that the employer must pay wages earned and can then demand that the employee pay any penalty incurred. That makes it difficult to enforce, but it does not in any way make penalties against the law, only their deduction from wages.

And the way it is written, a more liberal interpretation is that you can only deduct penalties from wages after the breach takes place. It’s quite possible that the CLA and the courts will take this interpretation in the future. Either interpretation clearly prohibits the concept of ‘deposits’ which was a common practice in the past where a portion of the first paycheck would be deducted to cover any penalty that may occur during the contract, and then returned at the end of the contract if no breach occurred.

What she should do is different than to what her rights are. If the penalty itself is not illegal (as jlick explains) and the contract states that the penalty applies until the end of the contract period then it remains at 100%, no matter how much time you have already worked “off”. Else the penalty clause would need to be phrased in a way that the amount is reduced over time.

So, from a legal point of view it seems the boss has every right to ask for the full penalty. Insisting on it is perhaps not a nice gesture but neither is quitting and leaving her without staff when she needs them the most. Thus I am actually not surprised that she doesn’t give in.

Probably because he wants to have his cake and eat it, too. No offense intended, but quitting early and then not wanting to pay the penalty as stated makes two breaches in my book.

Bullshit?

1. Is he breaking the contract? Yes.

2. It isn’t a full time job…boo hoo. He knew that when he signed on didn’t he? [ depending where you are in Taiwan, that ARC is not so easy to get…there is an over abundance of white faces, but not so many that are worth hiring]
    a. He accepted illegal work.
    b.She fudged the hours on the application.
    c. Rather funny as many teachers don’t want to work as much at the primary school…rather teach privates and what not i.e. earn tax free money.
    d. Study chinese are whatever other interest they may have.

3. He is choosing to leave at the busiest time. [ bad bad bad…]No school wants to lose a teacher, particularly if they have been there a while.

4. Even though he is working only 7 hours, she is still paying the full cost of his Health Care at the 14.5 hr minimum and his labor insurance.

She is most likely feeling screwed over due to the simple fact that she “needed” a white faced clown to sell her “English” program. poof he’s not there! Now what? Just get another? Maybe she liked the way he taught? Maybe he is actually GOOD at what he does? Who knows?

Bullshit? Not really. Look at it through her eyes. Not every Buxiban owner likes switching teachers like they are trash bags. [ rare I know] It’s not a big school by the sounds of it, so the change over at this time is poor business for her.

The 30000NT she “pockets” is nothing. So please forget about it as the Holy Grail of her trying to screw him over. It’s the only ‘hold’ she has on him, or she would simply Fire him now.

No matter which way you cut it, it’s a lousy situation that could easily be solved by leniency on both sides. i.e. IF the ticket dates could be switched. [ have you tried that?Seems ridiculous that it CAN"T be done. There must be a way to do so. Even a free flight should be possible as not everyone can just take off due to a “win” of whatever. There are prioir responsibilities and obligations to be dealt with in life.]

She could accept a sub. <— She doesn’t want to. :unamused: That is her choice.

Sums up the whole thing.^^^

[quote=“cfimages”]

And depending on your boss’s guanxi with the CLA/MOE/whoever it is these days, you may have trouble getting a new work permit when you return, particularly if you break a legally binding contract.[/quote]

Nice scaremongering there. Yes, his life is over because he doesn’t want his 7 hour per week teaching job anymore. Not really sure why everyone is ganging up on this person either. He did handle things a little too Western, however–he should have had a sick grandparent or parent he needed to go visit and that’s why he had to leave so suddenly. Anyway, his boss could replace him yesterday if she wanted and there are a billion other schools he can teach at if he comes back.

He can walk back into any job as long as he lies about why he left his former school…

Not many employers see “because I got free plane tickets” as the mark of a reliable or worthy employee.

I suppose you’re going to advocate lying to the government and future employees as the means for him to get himself a new seat on the English bus.

:unamused:

As for the OP, I’m sorry, but comparing free plane tickets, even round-trip to the United States (or Canada) to winning the lottery is like using an uzi on a mosquito. In other words, gross hyperbole.

As it has been mentioned before, your boss has not terminated you instantly like many other bosses here would have in this situation in order to screw you over before you even left. Yet you are adamant in pursuing your premature leave despite her leniency. Have you tried other avenues or are you just looking for the easiest way to get what you want without compromising.

Would it kill you to not think only about yourself for once?

You know something, I don’t believe he even realizes that she IS being lenient.

If she REALLY wanted to screw you over, she would hire another teacher and cancel your workpermit.
She would have VALID reason for doing so. [Legally as well]
The CLA sends the info to the FAP, FAP fires a registered letter to the address on the ARC. Once recieved, your days are numbered.

You may or may Not have trouble in the future. The memory at the CLA goes WAY WAY back. I know this for a fact. If a future boss simply requests the information from the CLA , it will BE there. Then it becomes the Buxiban owner’s choice to hire or not. [ I wouldn’t hire you based on that, the peripheral costs prove that you would not be worth it in the long run] The final decision will always rest with the CLA. For any reason under the sun, they can deny your application for a new work permit.

Scaremongering?..nope. Just a couple of thoughts to consider.
Things have changed since the old days…

One thing I was hoping the lawyers on the board would flesh out is the difference between liquidated damages and a penalty.

HUGE DISCLAIMER**** I am completely unfamiliar with Taiwanese law (and pretty clueless about my home country’s law). I welcome all the lawyers to correct my mangled legal analysis.

At the risk of grossly oversimplifying things, when a contract asks for the breaching party to pay the non-breaching party a sum of money, the contract is either calling for “liquidated damages” or a “penalty.”

Liquidated damages, essentially, are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage likely to be caused by a breach. Liquidated damages are enforceable. A penalty clause, on the other hand, asks the contract-breaker to pay an amount that exceeds the actual loss to the non-breaching party. Penalty clauses are not enforceable.

For me, the contact asks for the entire training pay to be returned. I feel this is an unreasonable estimation of my boss’ damages, as the school recoups its training pay day by day. Thus, I feel I have a good-faith argument that the reasonable estimation of damages should prorate the training pay throughout the year.

Yes, but they invested money in you to use what they taught you in their schools. You are turning around and taking that knowledge to their competitors. They not only lose that money but have their work delivered right into their competitors’ hands. I’d demand my money back too.

Let’s face it, you are screwing them over and she is grasping at straws for how to make you stop and think a minute before doing this.

You apparently are not interested in doing either - stopping or thinking.

Whatever SouldragoN and ImaniOU :unamused:. Teaching English in Taiwan is not, nor should it be a form of indentured servitude. Have any of you ever actually had jobs in the real world before? It sounds like you’ve been brainwashed by bushiban laobans. For the record, I was a manager at my previous job in the U.S., and although hiring and training new employees does take time and energy, it comes with the territory of being a manager. It’s also one of the costs associated with owning a business. I would have never tried to strong-arm an employee into staying if s/he didn’t want to be there.

Employers don’t own their employees, and employees have the right to leave a job for whatever reason provided s/he gives the proper notice. Lawferret is giving plenty of notice; his boss is just being petty. And while some of you are attempting to be self-righteous, that certainly doesn’t make you right.

Lawferret, your employer absolutely cannot deduct a penalty from your earned wages, and the Labor Dept will back you up on this. Click herefor a couple of cases where an employer tried, but lost when the proper authorities intervened. Most of the bosses who get away with withholding wages as a penalty, do so because they rely on the fact that most foreign workers don’t know their rights and won’t fight back.

If after you’ve been paid your final wages, you refuse to pay the 30K penalty that your boss is demanding, she can try to sue you for the money, but she’ll have to prove that her business suffered a loss from your early departure. It’s unlikely that she’ll do this as it’s probably more trouble for her than the 30K is worth. Your leaving your part-time job after 10 months is hardly a loss for her, and she’ll have a difficult time trying to prove that it is. Just make sure that you document that you’ve given at least the 10-day required notice of your intention to leave. That’s all that your legally required to do. Good luck, and keep us posted on how things proceed. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure how to respond to you, ImaniOU. Yes, they invested money in me. And in exchange, they received 10 months of work and I’m offering to return 2/12 of the training fee. Further, I’m giving them 60+ days to find a replacement. I’m not sure how you figure they are losing money. And if they are not losing money, how am I screwing them over?

Your point about me taking my training to a competitor could be a valid argument in other industries or situations. But believe me, my school did not entrust me with any special teaching secrets that other schools are desperate to get their hands on. Further, I am going home, not to a competitor.

Erhu, I have given my boss written notice of my intent to leave and my offer to return 2/12 of the training pay. She has not given any response.

We both have our reasons for maintaining the status quo. She realizes that if she demands 32,000, regardless of when I leave, I could stop working today rather than in July and the penalty to me would be the same. Thus, she needs to wait until she has a new teacher before she denies my request. On the other hand, as SouldragoN mentioned, she could cancel my ARC, which would cause me to fly to HK and back, before finally going home (thanks for the heads up SouldragoN). Since I don’t want this expense, I won’t push her to accept or deny now. And so, we both play the waiting game.

Gosh, Erhu. Thanks for being so helpful about clearing up my lack of experience in the real world, despite the fact that I have been working for over 12 years, seven of which have been in a classroom.
Why, if it weren’t for you, I’d still be naively believing in work ethics and in completing legal contracts and honoring agreements made with the people who are sponsoring my stay in Taiwan. Thank goodness there are people out there to justify such dishonest behavior as simply not having a slave mentality.

You ignore the collorary that while employees can legally leave a job for no reason, employers cannot legally fire an employee for no reason. Plus they take on a risk that their employee will not take company secrets and customers with them. If the OP is getting his visa through these people but working below minimum hours with them, then it’s safe to assume that the OP is doing a lot of work off the books for someone else. His employer is carrying a lot of responsiblity for him, including his health and labor insurance and his visa. Essentially, by leaving early, he is screwing them over for employees at their busiest time of the year and with the loss of a teacher, especially before their term is up, there will inevitably be parents who will be uncomfortable with staying with the school, for the lack of stability. The money the owner will lose in tuition from students not continuing will be much more than the money she is trying to recoup.

I know you’re only looking at this from the OP’s perspective since you are only a teacher here, but I think most people, especially anyone who has been both a teacher and held an actual position of responsibility over others, will see that this is indeed a breach of contract and that the owner is the only one who will come out the loser, just for being stupid enough to hire someone who feels his wants take precedence over his obligations.

It’s not indentured servitude. It’s being responsible.

[quote=“LawFerret”]One thing I was hoping the lawyers on the board would flesh out is the difference between liquidated damages and a penalty.

HUGE DISCLAIMER**** I am completely unfamiliar with Taiwanese law (and pretty clueless about my home country’s law). I welcome all the lawyers to correct my mangled legal analysis.

At the risk of grossly oversimplifying things, when a contract asks for the breaching party to pay the non-breaching party a sum of money, the contract is either calling for “liquidated damages” or a “penalty.”

Liquidated damages, essentially, are a genuine pre-estimate of the damage likely to be caused by a breach. Liquidated damages are enforceable. A penalty clause, on the other hand, asks the contract-breaker to pay an amount that exceeds the actual loss to the non-breaching party. Penalty clauses are not enforceable.

For me, the contact asks for the entire training pay to be returned. I feel this is an unreasonable estimation of my boss’ damages, as the school recoups its training pay day by day. Thus, I feel I have a good-faith argument that the reasonable estimation of damages should prorate the training pay throughout the year.[/quote]

Why do you need all this technical legal jargon? It sounds like you’re just trying to hide behind clever arguments, instead of dealing with the truth, in a country where the rule of law can be pretty arbitrary sometimes. First, read [url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/qing-li-fa-and-what-it-really-means/8617/1 old thread about how people generally resolve disputes here.[/url] It might put things in perspective. Take note of the last bit by Feiren. [quote]I think one reason that people tend not to go to court is because you usually have to pay for your legall expenses. So even if you win, you award may be dwarfed by what you owe your lawyer. [/quote]

Your boss is aware that you’re leaving and aware that you intend to do so on your terms. It’s a fair assumption that a) she is offended by this, and b) she will try to replace you as and when it suits her, not you. You may simply be informed one day that you are no longer required, and negotiations about your entitlement to severance pay will begin from there. It’s unlikely there will be any goodwill or leniency on her part. And whatever others may say about your legal entitlements, if you’re not here in Taiwan and can’t afford a lawyer (or the amount in question is too small to make a lawyer worthwhile) then your legal position s that you’re shit out of luck.

While you are wrangling about who gets paid what, the clock will be ticking. You may be forced to take a trip to Hong Kong, which will cost money. Assuming you have NT$100,000 in the bank to show the nice ladies in the visa office you may be able to get a new visa. Or you may try and return without a visa if you can do so less than one month before your free flight.

Alternatively, if your boss has decided to get nasty then a call informing the authorities that you were not working the required 14hrs a week will lead to the question “how did you support yourself in Taiwan?” Inevitably you will then be under suspicion of working illegally and it is possible you may find it difficult to return from your visa run. It’s unlikely, but it does happen. It all depends who wants to make your life difficult.

In any case, you’re down the cost of a flight and the money you don’t earn between getting terminated and the day of your free flight. You can’t bring it forward, after all. So what’s the cost of your ‘free’ flight now? NT$10-20,000 already. And that’s before you even address the issue of your penalty.

The contract said that if you leave early you lose the entire amount. You agreed to it. Do you want agreements to be upheld in this country or do you want an arbitrary solution based on what seems reasonable to a Taiwanese person rather than your sophisticated western legal mind? Either way you’re not going to get very far.

Suppose your boss decides to just withhold everything you think she owes you on your next pay day, and force you out of the country by cancelling your work permit. You pay for the visa run and then begin legal action to recover the money you think she owes you. Even if the judge concludes that the penalty was illegal, and even if he/she agrees that you deserve to be paid the wages owed, youre not going to get any award for your legal costs. So you still lose.

You got something for nothing. Congratulations. Now you’re determined to take advantage of it even though the real cost to you makes it seem pretty worthless to anybody else. What seems reasonable to you is not relevant. You have to look at what seems reasonable to the person who is expecting you to keep to the agreement that was made.

And one final word: you started this thread by claiming that you wanted to take a vacation, and later changed your story to admit that you were planning to find a new job when you came back. You were asking your boss to hold a work-permit open for you, allowing you to return without obtaining a new visa and also preventing her from replacing you. Subsequently you apparently planned to then abuse this trust by taking a new job somewhere else, which would have meant that you got paid in full, right up to date, and left her in a difficult situation. It’s behaviour like this that makes employers wary of being reasonable with their employees.

By misrepresenting yourself in this way you have also lost any sympathy you might have got. You lied. You’re trying to get everything your own way without any sincere attempt to be reasonable. All the nice promises are just bullshit to get your own way. You’re a lying shifty little toad and you deserve any trouble you get as a result of this.*

[quote=“LawFerret”]I told my boss I would like to go home in July for a 4 week vacation. She said this would be a breach of contract and that I would have to repay my training wages (32,000). My contract is silent on this matter.

I only teach 7 hours a week, and it was easy for me to find a sub willing to cover for me and come in a few weeks early for training (at my expense). My boss refused allow a sub. I told her I’d teach an extra 4 weeks longer than my original contract. She refused.

I’m afraid my boss is being uncooperative because she WANTS me to breach… By the time July arrives, I will have taught 10 months. I only teach 7 hours per week, so I won’t generate a lot of income for her in those last two months. But if she can get me to break the contract, she thinks she can get 32,000.

I would like to claim that I am not breaching the contract. Since my contact doesn’t say anything about vacations.

Alternatively, I would like to claim that 32,000 is unreasonable, since I will have worked 10/12 of my contract before going home (and am willing to work another 1/12) after I come back.

Has anyone else been in a similar position? How did it turn out?

Finally, from other posts, I’ve read that a boss cannot refuse to pay you money you’ve earned. Does this mean I can tell my boss I plan to quit two weeks before my plane leaves and that I will come in to pick up all my salary the day before I take off? What if I walk in the day before I leave and she just refuses to pay me, claiming I owe her money?[/quote]

*Note to Erhu: This opinion has nothing to do with whether it’s reasonable to quit a job or whether the penalty is reasonable. The issue is that if you’re not prepared to be honest and sincere in your dealings with others then you can’t expect them to be fair with you. If you don’t have the balls to tell the truth then it’s impossible to reach an agreement in good faith. Had the guy simply given notice of his intention to quit then he might have got better advice about how to get his pay without paying the penalty. I’ve done it in the past, but don’t feel inclined to share the story with someone who is contributing to the general distrust of foriegners that makes penalties such an unwelcome feature of life here.