Vaccines vs Alzheimer

Have you ever met a rabid antivaxxer who came across as a dementia patient?

2 Likes

opening up graves like this is illegal

2 Likes

Not if it’s for a good reason!

1 Like

There’s so much noise about vaccines on this forum all the time that I thought we had a newer, active general vaccine thread :stuck_out_tongue: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This is not a new result - there are older papers referring to a similar effect. There are also a whole bunch of claims suggesting that some vaccines are positively correlated with neurodegenerative diseases.

The problem here is that there’s no obvious causative mechanism for vaccines reducing incidence of neurodegenerative disorders (although there are some halfway-plausible ones for vaccines making things worse).

The results were enlightening:

Tdap/Td vaccine recipients had a 30% lower risk of Alzheimer’s.
HZ vaccine recipients had a 25% reduced risk.
Those who took the pneumococcal vaccine had a 27% decreased risk.

RR numbers in this ballpark almost always turn out to be just statistical noise, even if they appear to be “statistically significant”. If you see a RR greater than 1 (with an adequately-powered study), you’re probably looking at a real effect.

Most likely - given the conflicting claims and uninteresting RR numbers - vaccines make no actual difference one way or the other.

EDIT: just to be clear, I’m not suggesting “RR>1” is some sort of magic threshold. Merely that the larger the effect size, the more likely you’re looking at something “real”.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to start a new thread, didn’t want to get bogged into another covid argument with the usual suspects, and it didn’t belong in the autism vaccine thread

1 Like

This is a pretty inflammatory opening sentence if you didn’t want to talk about it: :wink:

The idea of there being an infectious disease component to AD has been going around for a few years though. It’s not implausible that vaccines (I mean ones that actually work, in the way the word was used prior to 2020) could have an effect on that.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/infectious-disease-idea-alzheimer-s-fails-everything-s-great

3 Likes

But it’s not Parenting either…
I’ll move your first post and all below to Health & Fitness

3 Likes