Validity of JFRV?

After several months getting all the documents needed, I managed to get my resident visa based on “joining family” (JFRV). I’ve been here for over 6 years on a normal ARC-based-on-employment and can now stay here with no employment, if I wanted. As luck would have it, I am now looking at the potntial of a job overseas (HK or PRC) but will still have ties to Taiwan, which is the place I would return to.

I am aware the Permament resident visa has some limitations, that one must be in Taiwan a certain number of days in the year, but I don’t know of any similar rules applying to the JFRV. Anyone know ?

Cheers…

[quote=“Nutz”]After several months getting all the documents needed, I managed to get my resident visa based on “joining family” (JFRV). I’ve been here for over 6 years on a normal ARC-based-on-employment and can now stay here with no employment, if I wanted. As luck would have it, I am now looking at the potntial of a job overseas (HK or PRC) but will still have ties to Taiwan, which is the place I would return to.

I am aware the Permament resident visa has some limitations, that one must be in Taiwan a certain number of days in the year, but I don’t know of any similar rules applying to the JFRV. Anyone know ?

Cheers…[/quote]
No time restricitons on a JFRV ARC. I’ve asked.

Just remember to make sure you keep your re-entry permit up to date or you could find yourself in trouble trying to get back in.

No time restricitons on a JFRV ARC. I’ve asked.[/quote]
I concur with this statement.

I previously knew a Taiwanese lady who lived in Yang Mei who is married to a ship captain from Malaysia. He had always had an ARC based on the JFRV visa, and even though he was typically outside of Taiwan over 330 days per year, he never had any problems . . . . . .

If the ARC came due when he was away, I think he did an international express courier thing with his passport, (sending it back to his wife), and then she renewed the ARC, got the updated Re-entry Permit, and expressed it back to him . . . . . . or something like that . . . . . . . . Or it may have been that he was back in Taiwan every few months for a day or two anyway, so renewal was not a problem . . . . . . but anyway he had no difficulty being outside of Taiwan for extended periods and still maintaining a valid ARC.

Thanks for the feedback - very useful.
Out of interest, can I renew my re-entry visa any time or do I need to wait until a specific time before expiry to renew ?