VAT Tax Refund Question

I tried to dig through this forum, but couldn’t find what I was looking for. I will be making a trip out of TW in the upcoming weeks and I wanted to know if I quality for the 5% tax refund on certain purchases.

1. I have an ARC, can I still ask for this refund?
  2. I understand that I need to purchase the item and get the hell out of this country within 30 days, but one store at Taipei101 mentioned that they need to see my passport entry stamp. But they said the entry stamp date can’t be longer than 30 days from the date of my purchase. This can’t be right, right? For example, if I made a purchase today (11/23), they said the entry stamp date can’t be 10/23 or earlier. They even got the manager out to explain this to me and I left even more confused.

According to the website you should be eligible. I’m in the same situation as you and always assumed since I had an ARC that I was not allowed, but perhaps I am as you only need a foreign passport, spend NT3000 at the same eligible location and leave within 30 days (with the goods).

I would call one of the numbers below to get the real information and let them know about the encounter you had a Taipei 101. But for your reference Taipei 101 does say they need to see an Entry stamp (but it does not say it has to be within 30 days of today’s date). So the manager you spoke to might be confused about the policy. However if you have an ARC and using E-Gate to get in and out of Taiwan you will not have any entry stamp and at Taipei 101 wouldn’t be able to claim the refund.

tsa.gov.tw/tsa/en/page.aspx?id=1189

Directorate General of Customs Information Center at Taiwan Taoyuan Int’l Airport : 0800-311-006 or 886-3-3982308
Taichung Travel Section : 0800-422-022 or 886-4-2254-0809
Tainan Travel Section : 0800-611-011 or 886-6-226-5681
Kaohsiung Travel Section :0800-711-765 or 886-7-281-1513
Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport Tourist Service Center :866-3-383-4631~2
Kaohsiung International Airport Tourist Service Center : 866-7-805-7888
Service Center, Tourism Bureau :0800-011-765 or 886-2-2717-3737

Yes, you can get a refund with an ARC. I have done it. They don’t care that you are a resident, you’re still a foreigner to them and qualify for the VAT refund.
You must have an entry stamp in your passport. They will deny you the refund without it. I’ve had that happen.
I think the manager is confused about the policy. You need to leave with 30 days of making the purchase to get the refund, not make it withing 30 days of arriving.

What kind of stuff qualifies?

Thanks for the replies!

It is dependent on the store. Only certain stores are allowed to do that. As far as I know there are no restrictions, just whatever is sold in the store. Like Shin Kong Mitsukoshi, ATT fun, or Taipei 101, anything in the mall qualifies since you go to a central location to get it.

Costco does the VAT refund, so you could buy anything in the store and then apply for a VAT refund (though I wouldn’t try to buy something big like a fridge). After checking out at Costco, you have to ask someone standing around for the form (Maybe show the cashier the VAT refund picture from the store to get someone to fill it out for you).

Some places offer on the spot refund for under a certain amount. Some will give you the form to take to the airport.

Things you buy are supposed to leave the country and according to the website you need to present the receipts, paperwork and the actual items at the airport for custom’s approval. So if you buy things that are not going to leave the country you might get denied a refund at the airport. Also you need to get to the airport earlier because there might be a long line. My mom had that problem at TPE 2yrs ago and I had a problem with that in Germany (full of Chinese tourists).

But things might be changing. I saw this article online and it appears like if you are willing to give up 14% of your refund you can get it electronically and don’t even need to get in line at the airport. Seems like with this situation, foreigners living in Taiwan might be able to buy things, get the refund and never take the goods outside of Taiwan because there is no need for an airport check. I wonder when this new policy might start.

focustaiwan.tw/news/aeco/201508290006.aspx

I purchased two Mobile Phones from the HTC Store in Guanghua back in October and had the Tax Refund documents filled out - both purchases on the one form. So, it seems many places can prepare the paperwork - if in doubt ask before purchasing and take your passport with you.

You are supposed to go to the TRS counter before check-in as the goods must be shown.

So, when I departed Taiwan 2 weeks later, the TRS counter at the airport they did ask to see the goods. I only had one phone with me as the other was still boxed and was in my checked-in luggage. They stamped the papers, and gave me the refund voucher for both to cash at the adjacent bank counter. I only had about a 5 minute wait in the line.

One other thing - the paperwork also says that if you bring something back into Taiwan that you had received a Tax Refund for, then you must declare it and pay the tax back.

So, be prepared to show the goods when going out, and be prepared to cough the refund back up if you bring it back.

[quote=“yinggeaussie”]I purchased two Mobile Phones from the HTC Store in Guanghua back in October and had the Tax Refund documents filled out - both purchases on the one form. So, it seems many places can prepare the paperwork - if in doubt ask before purchasing and take your passport with you.

You are supposed to go to the TRS counter before check-in as the goods must be shown.

So, when I departed Taiwan 2 weeks later, the TRS counter at the airport they did ask to see the goods. I only had one phone with me as the other was still boxed and was in my checked-in luggage. They stamped the papers, and gave me the refund voucher for both to cash at the adjacent bank counter. I only had about a 5 minute wait in the line.

One other thing - the paperwork also says that if you bring something back into Taiwan that you had received a Tax Refund for, then you must declare it and pay the tax back.

So, be prepared to show the goods when going out, and be prepared to cough the refund back up if you bring it back.[/quote]

Nice, so they actually asked to see it and there was no line at the counter. Good and bad!

In reference to your last sentence, I don’t think anyone would do that.