Vehicle Leasing in Taiwan

Is it possible to lease anything better than a Camry or Accord in Taiwan? And why is leasing better than buying on 0% credit anyway?

I’m starting to explore lease-to-buy options and am interested in an answer to this too. I’ve heard that if you take out a 3-year lease, the advantage is that the company will pick the car up at your home and drive it off to do periodic maintenance for free, and will also do any servicing and repairs for free; I’m told the price ends up about the same. I don’t know how reliable this information is and would like to hear from other sources.

I’m actually considering doing the same thing. But Im curious to know if leasing is actually worth it price-wise compared to purchasing.

If you plan to keep the car for a long long time, or if you plan to modify the car, obviously buy it.

That said, you can’t do this directly on total paid versus total paid. You have to do it based on cashflows. To do this correctly, you’re going to need a spreadsheet, maybe a quick review on discounted cash flow (DCF) if you haven’t done that in awhile, and some understanding of what your plan is for the car.

Basically, do the DCF calculation and figure out if it makes sense to lease. Note that this is non-linear because of varying time and size of the cash outlays such as down payments and expected maintenance as well as what likelihood you calculate for running into mileage overage or early-lease-termination fees. Note that more and more leases include service for the life of the lease. It also depends on the opportunity cost you calculate for cash, which gets rolled into the discount rate you use for the DCF. What I mean by this is if you think you make a return of say 10% annually on cash in hand, then it may make sense to free up as much cash now as you can rather than compare the total costs of leasing verus buying in today dollars… done by simply summing up the payments to end of the contract or when you expect to sell the purchased car, at whatever price you intend to get on it. Basically, you need to set up the spreadsheet so you can do a really basic sensitivity analysis with the test variables being things like discount rate, price you can sell the purchased car for, total maintenance, expected overages, expected inflation rates, etc.

[quote=“mabagal”]If you plan to keep the car for a long long time, or if you plan to modify the car, obviously buy it.

That said, you can’t do this directly on total paid versus total paid. You have to do it based on cashflows. To do this correctly, you’re going to need a spreadsheet, maybe a quick review on discounted cash flow (DCF) if you haven’t done that in awhile, and some understanding of what your plan is for the car.

Basically, do the DCF calculation and figure out if it makes sense to lease. Note that this is non-linear because of varying time and size of the cash outlays such as down payments and expected maintenance as well as what likelihood you calculate for …yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda… yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda… yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda… yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda… so you can do a really basic sensitivity analysis with the test variables being things like discount rate, price you can sell the purchased car for, total maintenance, expected overages, expected inflation rates, etc.[/quote]

Or you could learn how to weld. Simpler. :slight_smile:

I already know how to weld. Started when I learned to TIG and welded a 4130 space frame together for an Formula SAE car a while ago. Never got great at welding aluminum, but I can hold my own. :slight_smile:

And what does welding have to do with doing present value calculations to figure out if leasing or buying is better for you? :stuck_out_tongue:

One of the cars: (We did 4th, 1st, 1st, 3rd @ the Formula SAE event in my 4 years of school on the team)

That should have been “Or one could learn how to weld. Simpler” Apologies for any inconvenience caused by the ambiguity.

I found some leasing companies but even as company vehicles the leasing did not work out to be good value vs buying outright, especially buying a late model used car.

Leasing is very expensive if you ask me. Its far cheaper to own a slightly older car for a year then sell it. Leasing generally works out cheaper when comparing a new lease car with a brand new purchase car and then selling after a short time, e.g. one to two years.

Hi Everyone. This topic has been quiet for a while but I hope I/we can get some fresh info on current leasing possibilities in Taiwan. My company is about to lease me a car and I am wondering whether anyone has a rough idea about leasing prices. Let take a new Toyota Altis or a honda CR-V for example. I am really curious as not much information available on the internet about leasing prices. Any ideas?