Very unfriendly attitude at the Taipei office in Hong Kong

[quote=“M0NSTER”][quote=“sandman”]Last time I wore an expensive suit and an imperious manner. “Just get it done, you odious little cretin!” I barked when the woman claimed I didn’t have something she needed. “I’ll be back a 4 to collect it.” It was ready, along with a positively kittenish attitude from the servery staff.
But as you said, snafu, I saw some scruffy plebs getting a hard time.
You just need to know how to handle the lower orders.[/quote]

Tank Top and tattoos x 2. No problemo.

Strangely enough, I was hassled in Thailand. They revoked my visa and I had to cry like a girly mon in order for them to assign me a new visa before my flight out in less than an hour. Took 15 mins of tissues and tears and BLAM…new visa.[/quote]

Bangkok Teco (May 2006)

Me: Suit slacks and a button shirt with tie.
Only other white feriner there: Dread locks, T-shirt, shorts, burkenstocks.

(Place was filled with thai and philippino labor workers, had to wait about an hour in line.)

Feriner in said dreadlocks:
Goes to counter first, obviosly having trouble. Has what appears to be a Taiwanese Girlfriend helping him, still no luck. Leaves counter looking very upset.

My turn:
Smile, hand my papers over to the xiao jie…1 minute later: “please come back tomorrow morning to pick up your visa, thank you for coming Sir and enjoy your stay in Thaialnd”.

In elevator:
Met up with said dreadlock feriner…he was denied. Had all the same paperwork as me, same reason for going to taiwan…but still denied.

The Accused.

[quote]In elevator:
Met up with said dreadlock feriner…he was denied. Had all the same paperwork as me, same reason for going to Taiwan…but still denied.[/quote]

What arseholes. where on their crap forms is the box for showered, shaved, haircut and pressed suit?

I’m even more determined to push for a visa here in HK now. I will do so while abandoning any modicum of human deceny.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote]In elevator:
Met up with said dreadlock feriner…he was denied. Had all the same paperwork as me, same reason for going to Taiwan…but still denied.[/quote]

What arseholes. where on their crap forms is the box for showered, shaved, haircut and pressed suit?

I’m even more determined to push for a visa here in HK now. I will do so while abandoning any modicum of human deceny.

HG[/quote]]

Good luck to you! Keep us posted on your progress! :beer:

Well technically I have a visa, so half the game’s won. It’s just that my re-entry visa is in a passport now being used to smuggle humans, guns and drugs after I lost it in China. I have a valid ARC and will claim I want to go home. But I don’t see any need to do it with even the slightest hint of nicety.

HG

[quote=“derek1978”]Bangkok Teco (May 2006)

(Place was filled with Thai and philippino labor workers, had to wait about an hour in line.)

Goes to counter first, obviosly having trouble. Has what appears to be a Taiwanese Girlfriend helping him, still no luck. Leaves counter looking very upset.

My turn:
Smile, hand my papers over to the xiao jie…1 minute later: “please come back tomorrow morning to pick up your visa, thank you for coming Sir and enjoy your stay in Thaialnd”.

In elevator:
There it is - If you want results you play the game.

Don’t cause a problem - won’t be no problem.
Attitudes & asshats go to the end of the line.

[quote=“sandman”]Last time I wore an expensive suit and an imperious manner. “Just get it done, you odious little cretin!” I barked when the woman claimed I didn’t have something she needed. “I’ll be back a 4 to collect it.” It was ready, along with a positively kittenish attitude from the servery staff.

Yeah, SURE you did.

Not that I want to imply you’re lying…

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“derek1978”]Bangkok Teco (May 2006)

(Place was filled with Thai and philippino labor workers, had to wait about an hour in line.)

My turn:

In elevator:
There it is - If you want results you play the game.

Don’t cause a problem - won’t be no problem.
Attitudes & asshats go to the end of the line.[/quote]

Second that. It’s a game. That only takes as long as you wanna play. Smile, nod when they lecture you, agree and claim responsiblity, and after they’ve imparted dearly needed wisdom :unamused: say thanks you and use please whenever. Remember you’ll never have to see them again in you life, unless you enjoy proving them “wrong”.

All well and good until they deny you a visa. But I agree, no need to bring out the big guanxi guns until they are necessary.

[quote=“Eros”][quote=“sandman”]Last time I wore an expensive suit and an imperious manner. “Just get it done, you odious little cretin!” I barked when the woman claimed I didn’t have something she needed. “I’ll be back a 4 to collect it.” It was ready, along with a positively kittenish attitude from the servery staff.

Yeah, SURE you did.

Not that I want to imply you’re lying…[/quote]
What’s this? WHAT’S this? Do you doubt me? You DOUBT me! ME! WHy, I oughter…

I just got my visa from them so here’s an update.

First all the complaining must have paid off, at every window there is a sign that says
"All Hong Kong embassy staff are expected to treat people courteously and with respect, if you have any problems or concerns with the way you are being treated

1. Raise the issue on the spot, ask to speak to a supervisor immediately
  2. Fill out a suggestion card and drop it off in the suggestion box
  3. Write a letter to Chief officer (HK address)"

Of course just in case you thought everyone was being nice there is a sign at the visa office at the CKS airport it basically says.

“Any rude words or gesture or open criticism of the office will result in your visa being probably denied. If you have any problems please speak with your consulate or interest section, some issues can only be negotiated at country to country level.”

[quote=“snafu”]
“All Hong Kong embassy staff are expected…”[/quote]I can see the signs lasting a few days at most before the Chinese protest.

Which Little Hitler is in charge of that shithole at the moment? Is it still Gao Guo-Liang, the racist little prick?

[quote=“redwagon”][quote=“snafu”]
“All Hong Kong embassy staff are expected…”[/quote]I can see the signs lasting a few days at most before the Chinese protest.[/quote]

The embassy part might be just me, maybe it said consulate or office or something else. But they did say you should be treated respectfully.

Mind you, I’ve never had anyone there be actively rude to me, but like Sandy I tended to go in looking businesslike and I’m neither black nor Indian… You ever notice that there may be rules posted there as to how much money an applicant should have in the bank or what documents would be required before a visa could be issued, but only the blacks or Indians would get asked to show them? :frowning:
I also used to hate the way they would put a fan on their side of the counter pointed at the hole in the glass as if to say us applicants all stank or something. :s

I noticed that on the link to foreign offices abroad supplied by Juba, the Hong Kong office is listed as:

KWANG HWA INFORMATION AND CULTURE CENTER

40 th Floor, One Pacific Place,
88 Queensway,
Hong Kong
Phone: (852) 2523-5555
Fax: (852) 2522-2680
E-mail: service@taiwaninfo.org

I just called them and they said they were not TECO.

The one time I went it was in a place called the Lipo Centre. Is it still there?

Thanks

That’s the one … they were called ‘travel’ office or something …

Got it.

It’s called Chung Hwa Travel

Address: 40th Floor, Tower One, Lippo Centre, 89 Queensway, Hong Kong

Direction: You may arrive at the Chung Hwa Travel Service by MTR getting off at Admiralty
Station and taking Exit B.

Telephone: (852) 2525-8315

Service Hours:

Submission: Mondays to Fridays --------9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Collection: Mondays to Fridays --------9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

taiwaninfo.org/viewpage.asp?pageid=253

the people in the visa office treat you with the same attitude that you treat them i have never had any problem there i just recently came back from there and again was greated with a friendly service i heard people shouting and arguing with them that will only get you in trouble dont give the rest of us a bad name treat them as you wish to be treated

That may have been your one-off experience…

Attitude is actually irrelevant. Failing to follow the law and direct instructions from MOFA Taipei has been part of my experience, for example. A failure which cost me a lot of money at the time (over a period of three years) and was only rectified with government-level intervention, Taiwanese and foreign.