Video: Want to place black rectangle at bottom of screen to block subtitles

This should be a simple video editing task but it’s been some years since I used a video editing program.
I just want to draw a black rectangle at the bottom of my screen to block out the hard encoded subtitles of my movie collection.
The reason is my subtitle files that I want to use appear over the existing subtitles causing nothing but a big white mess.
The subtitles I’m trying to get rid of are Chinese.
If there is a way to force the SRT subtitles to appear in a different place I will be happy to keep the Chinese subtitles.
But right now, I feel easiest method is for me to just choose between the subtitles I want using the SRT files.
Please suggest the best open source video editor to use and the procedure for drawing and placing the black rectangle.
Thanks.

DaVinci Resolve

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/

How to overlay an image:

That would be the easiest solution. In VLC for example you can easily place the subtitles anywhere you want:

Should also be possible with other feature-rich players like MPC-HC.

1 Like

Re-encoding your entire collection seems kinda insane.

• Can just crop the video in the player
  • Do something crazy like take the srt subs, open in aegisub, add a black rectangle below the subs for the entire duration of the movie (might need to make an svg black rectangle and insert) and then export as .ass