Vietnamese friend overstayed student Visa

I’ll be quick.

A good Vietnamese friend overstayed his student visa while working on his Master’s Degree. He thought he had taken care of it already, they said they had given him a 1 year extension… but now… they claim they didn’t and he has one week to fix the problem. For the record, he hasn’t finished his master’s yet. Still working on it.

Can’t really say what I am looking for… direction maybe? I’m from America and so I don’t really know where he should turn… or even if he has options. (I mean, beside flying home…)

Thanks in advance for any advice whatsoever.

He needs to go to his “embassy” They are there to help their citizens in Taiwan.

http://www.vecolabor.org.tw

My wife just recommended having him check into the International Students Affairs office at his college on Yamingshan. He’s going to do that first… but your right in your thoughts and I will pass that on to him.

They will probably tell him the same thing, but it doesn’t hurt to ask them.

what did he do at where? How many days has he overstayed for?

He should go to NIA. If his overstay is within 30 days, he can fix things without leaving Taiwan. If more than 30 days, he should go to any overseas TECO to get his new visa.

For his information

"Overstay

• Overstay within 30 days (30th day excluded) but still enrolled: pay the fine and the application fee for the ARC extension
  • Overstay more than 30 days (30th day included) and still enrolled: pay the fine and leave the country in 7 days to apply for a new visa to re-enter Taiwan
  • Overstay fine:
    • 1-10 days: NTD$2,000
    • 11-30 days: NTD$4,000
    • 31-60 days: NTD$6,000
    • 61-90 days: NTD$8,000
    • over 91days: NTD$10,000"

From this site
http://oic.nccu.edu.tw/files/11-1000-164.php?Lang=en

If he applied for the 1yr extension of his ARC at NIA, he has a receipt with a pick-up date of his new ARC on it. If not, he has not applied for the extension, so has overstayed. Since you said he is a master course student, I’m assuming he has an ARC.

1 Like

Hi. I’m the guy mentioned by OP. I appreciate the feedback.So, my ARC will expire in 1 week (Sept 4th), and the immigration office suggested me to fly out of Taiwan and back for a new Visa. Depends on the type of Visa, they will see if I can extend my ARC or not.
About the international office, they say that they will find a way to help me tomorrow morning. Hope this will work out without having to send me abroad and back.

Some info about me: I’ve been a Master student here in Taiwan for 5 years. I finished my research and most of the thesis, just haven’t submitted the document to graduate. I plan to get another major as well.

so, you have not done any overstay yet, and since you’ve been here for 5 years, you have done ARC extension once or twice, right?

I think whether you can extend your ARC again depends on officers you get when you apply.

Well, I have to extend my ARC every year, so it’s basically 5 times in the past. It might probably depends on the officer who was doing it for me as well… Let’s hope that the school office can find a way tomorrow. Thank you for your feedback.

I overlooked that you are a master student and have been here for 5 years. Isn’t the maximum term to complete your master course 5 years? If so, that might be why you cannot extend your ARC this time.

I overlooked this sentence too. You are doing double majors, so your maximum term is longer than usual students?