View from Taipei 101

Would you want to work here?

Nice view. I suspect that the elevator wait times might be a little annoying. Anyone know?

dunno about the waiting times but with 67 of them and a speed of 37mph won’t be that bad!

Doesn’t leave much time for a quickie :loco:

That photographer must be a basketball player.

Note that thye have put up small barriers next to the desks - presumably so the employees don’t get distracted by the view.

I do hope their office has a disposable-underwear vending machine for post-earthquake emergencies. :smiley:

That was my first impression as well, sandman. But then I talked to a friend of mine who was a structural engineering consultant on the Taipei 101 project. He explained that a critical challenge in building 101 was figuring out a way to keep the top floors from becoming too heavy – and imposing dangerous strains on the lower supports. Apparently in order to get their occupancy permits approved, Taipei 101 had to agree to impose certain height and weight restrictions on all tenant employees working on floors 50 and above. So since this picture was taken on 53F or 54F, it is not surprising to find those tiny employees working at that desk. Only very very small people are allowed to work on those floors.

:loco: Do earthquakes bring out panty sniffing tendancies?

Oh yes, I’ve heard of him - here are some other fine examples of his work. Truly innovative.

Oh yes, I’ve heard of him - here are some other fine examples of his work… [/quote]

:bravo: :laughing:

Yeah, that’s him. My friend was actually very worried that his unorthodox approach was going to hurt his career. Then that movie came along and used one of his buildings to shoot some scenes… Pretty soon his ideas were both trendy and practical. Before you knew it, everyone who wanted to make a tall building and get maximum value for their construction dollar was calling him up to help them out.

I’m going to have to start wearing clothes at home again if theses perverts can look down onto my little balcony (far, far right in the photo…actually outside the frame…just

I would definetely want to work there and I would want to have a “window seat” (no barriers please)!

When I worked in Malaysia we had an office in the 51st floor and it was great, though there weren’t any earthquakes but once the building was directly hit by a lightning and shook a bit, nevermind the dropping elevators (which went up, stopped, felt 5 floors down, and then continued up to my floor as if nothing ever happened).

The TV news has reported that there is no place for the employees in the Taipei 101 upper floors to buy their lunches.

There are no convenience stores nearby.

[quote=“Hartzell”]The TV news has reported that there is no place for the employees in the Taipei 101 upper floors to buy their lunches.

There are no convenience stores nearby.[/quote]

That sounds like a pretty big oversight.

I wonder if smokers have to take the lift down 100 floors to go for a smoke…
(Wait, is that Dragonbones I hear playing the little violin for them? :slight_smile: )

All cutting each other up and stopping at floors without indicating.

All cutting each other up and stopping at floors without indicating.[/quote]You could get to Jilong in under an hour.

[quote=“Hartzell”]The TV news has reported that there is no place for the employees in the Taipei 101 upper floors to buy their lunches.

:laughing: :laughing: Only the Taiwanese could work in a building with (at least) 1 7-11, a huge food court, a large food market, a floor almost dedicated to restaurants, a restaurant due to open on the top floor in a smart new district (covered in shops and food courts) … and complain about a lack of places to eat/buy food.

[quote=“david”][quote=“Hartzell”]The TV news has reported that there is no place for the employees in the Taipei 101 upper floors to buy their lunches.

:laughing: :laughing: Only the Taiwanese could work in a building with (at least) 1 7-11, a huge food court, a large food market, a floor almost dedicated to restaurants, a restaurant due to open on the top floor in a smart new district (covered in shops and food courts) … and complain about a lack of places to eat/buy food.[/quote]

yes but they mean places selling NT30 dan-a-mi and chou dou-fu and di-hui-gui and other such wonders…unless salaries in the 101 are much higher than the norm your average chen hui-mei type won’t be eating in the food court every day…

That was my first impression as well, sandman. But then I talked to a friend of mine who was a structural engineering consultant on the Taipei 101 project. He explained that a critical challenge in building 101 was figuring out a way to keep the top floors from becoming too heavy – and imposing dangerous strains on the lower supports. Apparently in order to get their occupancy permits approved, Taipei 101 had to agree to impose certain height and weight restrictions on all tenant employees working on floors 50 and above. So since this picture was taken on 53F or 54F, it is not surprising to find those tiny employees working at that desk. Only very very small people are allowed to work on those floors.[/quote]

I guess since I’m 6’2, the observation deck is out of the question then. :s