Views on Japanese Colonization of Taiwan

Taiwan caught between Japan and China is like Belgium caught between Germany and France. I wonder if they have similar debates in Luxembourg? “You Alsace-Lorrainians are such Francophiles! Look, a shopkeeper is blatantly selling BORDEUX wine in Antwerp! And the writing - they’ve taken out all the good old Teutonic umlauts and replaced them with accent marks! Next thing you know they ban the Third Reich flag and teach kids that 60 years ago the Germans were very bad people! GALLIST REVISIONISM!”

This thread has deviated from its original topic.

It’s called an analogy, and it may not be a good one, but mocking the Nipponophobes here is fun.

[quote=“zeugmite”]Back on topic. The ties that bind advocates of Taiwan independence and Japanophiles.

It has already been shown here that LTH is a Japanophile who uses his Japanese credentials to present the Taiwan independence (Taiwan independence) ideology.

Below I present two more exhibits to further show how advocates of Taiwan independence and Japanophiles go hand in hand. I also believe it is fair to use advocates of Taiwan independence as the tip of the iceberg for Taiwan society in general, since they seem to have a monopoly on the “Taiwan consciousness” narrative, which is to say, they believe (however incredibly) that they and only they represent the true and majority view of Taiwan.

Exhibit A: The following picture shows the bag of a shop in Danshui that uses the non-existent “Republic of Taiwan” name as address instead of ROC. The shop owner is reportedly very popular with TIer customers.

taiwanus.net/james/img/3cj.jpg (this is from an overseas TIer web site)

At the top of the bag is a a sentence indicating the year in which the shop was opened (1935), but instead of using the standard ROC naming scheme, or simply 1935, it uses “Showa Year 10,” Showa AKA Emperor of Japan Michinomiya Hirohito who reigned from 1926-1989 and who directed Japan’s colonization and WWII period. Hirohito is the equivalent of Hitler to most Asians.

Exhibit B: In the following picture, TSU members burn the PRC flag in front of the Legislative Yuan, in response to the Anti-Secession Law.

ca.c.yimg.jp/news/1110798306/img … ew-001.jpg

Notice that the sign in the back is written in Japanese (…侵略の日). The Japanese grammatical particle “no” is the third character.[/quote]

It is not a big deal, in Hong Kong many pro-independence Hong Koners continue to sing “God save the Queen” and salute the Union Jack long after they were forced out by the communists. We also protest the erosion of our rights by using British English as opposed to the American English the communists are trying to promote. I believe sir you are overreacting, and Taiwan is a free country unlike our current colonial arragement, so let Taiwanese show their love for what they like.

Is the “Queen” the equivalent of Hitler?

Oh great, so now Japan = Hitler. Japan is no longer a member of the Axis powers. Besides, that’s not a good argument for a pro-China party to make - considering that the current PRC is the largest totalitarian regime in the world. If anything represents the modern day swastika, it’s this flag:

The first one and a half pages of this thread were an interesting discussion in response to a query from a member.

All this anti-Japanese ranting really detracts from the discussion, and is hardly useful to the OP.

Brian

I think Japanese rule was comparable to British rule. Sure there were lots of problems at first, but things got better. Because of the British HK has one of the best mass transit systems in the world, we have lots of foreign investment and we still write with Hong Kongese characters. I read the earlier posts and I notice many Taiwanese see the Chinese as dirty and backward, and that is how we Hong Kongers see the Chinese “dailookyen” as backward and uneducated.

I remember the good old days when Hong Kongers can wear wigs in court, or drive on the right side of the road. I know these days will end because China drivse on the left side and use the PLA to administer law. The point is that colonial rule in both HK and TW were great: they made things better and promoted a superior Taiwanese and Hong Konger identity.

May God Save the Queen!

[quote=“XiangGangDuLi”]I think Japanese rule was comparable to British rule. Sure there were lots of problems at first, but things got better. Because of the British HK has one of the best mass transit systems in the world, we have lots of foreign investment and we still write with Hong Kongese characters. I read the earlier posts and I notice many Taiwanese see the Chinese as dirty and backward, and that is how we Hong Kongers see the Chinese “dailookyen” as backward and uneducated.

I remember the good old days when Hong Kongers can wear wigs in court, or drive on the right side of the road. I know these days will end because China drivse on the left side and use the PLA to administer law. The point is that colonial rule in both HK and TW were great: they made things better and promoted a superior Taiwanese and Hong Konger identity.

May God Save the Queen![/quote]

I have to ask if you actually live in Hong Kong (?) Wigs ARE worn in HK courts. Hongkongers DO drive on the left-hand side of the road. Finally, your post fails to mention that Hong Kong, too, was under a period of Japanese rule and they hated every second of it, so Hongkongers would be against their own experience with the colonial model being used in support of the Japanese occupation of Taiwan. They would be very upset.

But XiangGangDuLi has already said that he’s from Hong Kong. He must know that HKers drive on the left. You’re not accusing him of lying are you?

Brian

A lot of people say that they are Hongkongers, when in fact they have the legal right to reside in Hong Kong but are actually from China…or perhaps they used to live in Hong Kong a long time ago (were born there) know little about the place because they grew up elsewhere. This was my experience when I lived in Hong Kong: for every 3 Asian faces claiming to be a true Hongkonger, one of them would actually be a dreaded Daluren who knows little about the history/culture/politics of the island or a returnee from abroad (those ones are the most clueless). Maybe Mr. XiangGangGangBang has an HKID card, but you can see from his post that he has a few facts wrong…the most dubious part of his post for me is using a Hong Kong example to uphold Japanese colonialism. A true Hongkonger would never do that. Never.

Read some of his other nonsense – he’s said that Hong Kong liked its time under the Japanese. :loco:

I would like to expose Mr. XiangGang poster as a fraud. For all we know, this guy could be a Japanese nationalist or some bored Mainlander at a college in The States (that is probably the truth, now that I think of it). WE ARE ON TO YOU, YOU 19-YR OLD MAINLANDER IN KENTUCKY OR WHEREVER YOU ARE. YOU MAY HAVE INTERNET, NOW, BUT YOU ARE STILL A LIAR.

perhaps an extension of the earlier Belgium / France / Germany analogy is in order … can we do a Kentucky / Union / Confederacy perhaps ?

Read some of his other nonsense – he’s said that Hong Kong liked its time under the Japanese. :loco:[/quote]

Hong Kong under the British was just as bad as Japanese rule to Taiwan, unless you guys had a great time under the Japanese. In spite of this, foreign rule improved as time passed for both Taiwan and HK.

Read some of his other nonsense – he’s said that Hong Kong liked its time under the Japanese. :loco:[/quote]

Hong Kong under the British was just as bad as Japanese rule to Taiwan, unless you guys had a great time under the Japanese. In spite of this, foreign rule improved as time passed for both Taiwan and HK.[/quote]

so says the poster with the Union Jack avatar. :unamused:

Would you prefer I put on the PRC flag or the Nazi flag as an avatar? :raspberry:

YES, we would prefer if you used the PRC flag on your posts because you are DALUREN and you are NOT from Hong Kong. So, yes…please switch to the PRC flag…we realize this forum is nothing more than a way to improve upon your English writing skills while getting your jollies. Btw, isn’t it great to have unimpeded access to the internet?? Life in Dalu will never be the same after your overseas study experience!

Baruch, I totally don’t get you here. I am saying this guy is Daluren, currently studying overseas (probably) in the United States but it could be Canada or another country.

Kick-Stand, isn’t it great for a Hoklo such as you to live in a real recognized country?