Villa Holiday Europe

I am taking my two teenage boys on Holiday,within the next month or so. Originally planned California,but had to change my plans,so it makes more sense (as they live in the UK) to take them to Europe. Prefer to rent a Villa,than Hotels,but a bit stuck on exactly where. I would be interested in Italy,as would like them to see some of the wonderful sites like pompei,Rome etc… They are pretty much Franced out,as I have Family in France.Spain/Portugal? Any memorable Holidays,you well travelled people,have had, as suggestions,would be gratefully accepted.
Example of what I have seen …Many thanks,in anticipation.
http://www.villarenters.com/rent-villas/italy/sorrento/villa-bikini-on-sorrento-coast-53270

Very spendy, but you’ll be able to save on flights for them, I guess. Italy’s wonderful, although I don’t know the south at all. The north isn’t beachy, though. Rome will be hot as fuck at this time of year: of course you know your boys best, but are you sure they’ll want to trek around seeing History in August? My maaan is from Venice and I’d rather dig my eyes out with teaspoons than trail around San Marco in August and I guess Rome will be even more sunstrokey. Hills, not history!

Portugal would be cool and way cheaper, if you care about that. Beachseafoodbeerbeachbbqbeer. Sea.

Croatia? Greece?

[quote=“Ermintrude”]Very spendy, but you’ll be able to save on flights for them, I guess. Italy’s wonderful, although I don’t know the south at all. The north isn’t beachy, though. Rome will be hot as fuck at this time of year: of course you know your boys best, but are you sure they’ll want to trek around seeing History in August? My maaan is from Venice and I’d rather dig my eyes out with teaspoons than trail around San Marco in August and I guess Rome will be even more sunstrokey. Hills, not history!

Portugal would be cool and way cheaper, if you care about that. Beachseafoodbeerbeachbbqbeer. Sea.

Croatia? Greece?[/quote]
Thanks,Ermintrude,for your time. I thought Greece would be cheaper,but appears not? Never been to Portugal…as you say,if they can splash around Waterparks,Sea. Unfortunately the Eldest has discovered Beer, at University…amazing,though that sounds.I like Northern Italy,but maybe they will be bored at Lake Como etc. Not sure if Easyjet/Ryanair still do cheap flights…I will check. Ever since reading Gerald Durrell,in the days when I had a Pink Cow, I always had an idyllic view of Corfu,but again probably boring, for the Terrors.

If you want some action for the boys, but don’t feel like physically challening extreme sports/cycling/waterparks yourself, I’d recommend a fishing holiday in Northern Norway. It gets a bit pricy, but it’ll be a lifetime memory. You can fly London-Trondheim direct.

And you can swap the villa for a lighthouse.
More info: visitnorway.com/en/Where-to- … e-holiday/

That looks great!

I did spend Months in Norway,instructing Rally Drivers on a frozen Lake !!. Beautiful.I fished,with my Father in Scotland and Ireland, we even had a boat on Lake Windermere,I loved it… Sadly,my boys have no interest in Fishing,which is a shame. I realised ,long ago,that the activities Children seem to enjoy ,have evolved ( Evolution?) in to more adrenalin based things ! . I ,on the other hand,would be happy in a Villa, in Cap d’Antibes,lounging in the sun,overlooking the sea,Nice infinity Pool,sipping a Pimms,whilst reading the Sunday Times. Sadly,around 30,000 euros a week for a place like that…who the hell pays that much for a week…I am curious?
Seemed everyehere was an adventure to visit ,in my youth…I even, enjoyed Butlins in Skegness,once with my friends…how times change. I am turning in to Victor Meldrew. :frowning:

Haha, I was thinking of loads of cool things to do, then remembered I’m a 38 year old woman and your kids would be bored stupid with my suggestion. Southern Europe. Beach, beer, ladies in sporting attire. Done.

Snigger. You may be right. In the last 18 Months,they have been to Sicily (Classics dept,trip) and Greece (school trip) so my struggle to inject some culture,may be too much.I only remember the Invoices,sadly.
Last year they were spoiled in California, boat,jetskiing …even followed by Dolphins,which was awesome and many “Parks”/activities,behind the scenes, tour of an aquarium,etc. What happened to the simple pleasures in Life?

I don’t really like fishing either, except when I’m in Norway doing deep water fishing. The waiting game is boring. I love to just haul in one fish after another. I’ve only found this possible in Norway.

Managed to get this for a few weeks…now what books to read? :ponder:

That looks great. Hope you all have a great time.

Many Thanks. I am sure I will have a relaxing time with two teenage boys. :unamused: I tagged a week on for myself :pray:
Now to choose the reading material…Mmmm.