Visa and immigration lawyer? Anyone know one?

Long story short - I’ve been doing visa runs for a few years. I have my own money and have not worked illegially in any fashion. I can prove this.

I need (1) a teaching job, (2) home country criminal background check, I have an old one more than 6 months, and (3) the health check. Everything else is good. I have 6 weeks to get this done.

Can anyone here recommend a lawyer who can hold my hand through the visa application. I’m paying. I’m just very worried about all the visa runs and how it looks.

Thanks in advance anyone who can recommend an english-speaking lawyer who knows how to proceed converting a visa-free to an ARC.

apologies about typos/grammar - i’m all nerves right now. I don’t want to go home to quaranteen.

Im freaking out also ,fellow visa free so no judging
Do you have a degree?
Can i ask why you were doing visa runs if you could get a teaching job?
I personally want to work and was working to get a resident Visa soon but with news its totally f’ed my plans to live here
I will follow long to see what you find
Fyi, not sure if they can help you but legal aid office or AiT are maybe good places to ask about legal options

Yes, I have a degree from a real university, I did my 4 years. What I am missing is the criminal background check. The one I have currently is more than 6 months old. I’m also missing a job.

Nice hope it works out.
You are familiar with tealit? If not its a website for English teaching jobs

tealit? how about just hopping on my bicycle and hitting every cram school I can find. That’s the plan right now. Good luck to you too.

Tealit is great ,check it out .
Strange name but lots of job info

You mean it will look like you’ve been RESIDING in Taiwan without being a legal resident with a proper Alien Resident Certificate?

That’s how it looks, because apparently that’s what you’ve been doing.

If you’ve been eligible for legal residency for “years”, then why the visa runs?

Is the only reason you’re now seeking a legal resident status because of the Coronavirus?

Wait, do you know a lawyer? Can you help at all? Or…why are you replying. Pls be a little thoughful, there’s a few of us here in the same boat and we’re very stressed.
thanks.

1 Like

Try Winkler Partners: http://www.winklerpartners.com/

1 Like

thank eh!

Keep in mind that you are going to owe back taxes. They aren’t going to take “living off savings” as an answer unless you have some concrete proof.

I’m not sure if that’s actually a concern. Why do they need to know what he used to do ?

Actually, I do. I can show my bank book.

and…if I need to, I can pay taxes.

1 Like

Because they will assume that you are working illegally.

I think that’s probably why they’re asking for a lawyer, to make this easier to prove and allay suspicion. Though OP, I think you should contact NIA and AIT. They’d give you a better idea of whether or not you even need a lawyer, or what documentation you’d need to prove that you’ve really not been working illegally. As mentioned they also might have suggestions for lawyers or firms.
I’d recommend going in person as I imagine they’re quite crowded right now.

1 Like

I’ve changed visa many times , I don’t remember having to show taxes paid very often. If he wasn’t working he doesn’t owe taxes, simple . They can’t just assume he was working.

But they might want to tax me on funds I wired into Taiwan. Funds that accrued interest income. However minor, it’s still interest income. I’ve done my taxes, before actually. I am hoping that by showing them both my TW account (which is emptied out now, and never accruded funds from within Taiwan) and my HK bank account that still has enough funds to support me for a long while…prove with no doubt that I’ve not worked illegally ever in Taiwan.

I’m that guy, I really just did visa runs and never set foot in a classroom the whole time.

I just got back from the hospital, did my health check. I don’t have a job lined up yet but they still agreed to do the checks. If anyone else is doing this, GO NOW. Because of the holiday, results won’t be back until April 7th.

The other big worry is the home-country criminal background check. It usually takes 10 days if I do the ultra fast option (UK). But now? the coronavirus time. The one I have expired 2 months ago. As in, it’s 8 months old now. And that’s what I’m doing next.

Thank you everyone for your replies and questions. If anyone thinks of anything, pls post here or send me a message. Cheers!

1 Like

For any calendar year in which you’re a resident for tax purposes (183 days or more in Taiwan), income from “investment” up to a certain amount is tax-free, but only (iirc) when that income comes from Taiwan. This means whatever tiny amount of interest your bank in Taiwan paid you is probably tax free.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. That’s good to know. I have my tax receipt from last year and it shows as income for the year; however, it’s a really minor amount. Cheers, eh!

1 Like