Visa Categories

Below are a listing of Non-Immigrant Visa Categories for the USA. Perhaps someone would like to compare these to the treatment USA nationals are given when applying for “short-term” visas in the ROC.

A-1, A-2, A-3 Ambassdor, public minister, diplomat or consulate officer assigned to represent his or her country in the United States. Includes immediate family and servants.
B-1 Temporary business visitor
B-2 Temporary visitor for pleasure
C-1 Alien in transit through the U.S. to a third country
D Crewmen of aircraft or sea vessels
E-1 Treaty trader, spouse and minor children

E-2 Treaty investor, spouse and minor children
F-1 Student pursing academic courses of study
F-2 Spouse and minor children of F-1
G-1 thru G-5 Representative of international organizations like the United Nations and the World Bank, their families, staff and servants

H-1B Professional Worker in a Specialty Occupation
H-2A Agricultural temporary worker
H-2B Nonagricultural temporary worker
H-3 Temporary trainee, special education

H-4 Spouse and minor children of H-1, H-2 and H-3 visa holders

I Representative of foreign information media, and their family
J-1 Exchange visitor
J-2 Spouse and minor children of J-1 visa holders
K-1 Alien fianc

From the point of view of those USA citizens married to Taiwan nationals who do not yet have residency permission, some of them are new to the Taiwan area, and have not yet made a decision as to where they will live in the future. The absence of any type of K-2 short term visa in Taiwan, i.e. “Spouse of Taiwan citizen”, is quite disturbing.