Visa exempt to resident visa via marriage (both British)

Hi all,

I’m stumped and need a bit of advice.

I’m British, my husband is British too (90 day visa exempt). I am currently in the process of getting my visitor visa to then apply for my ARC (I have a white collar work permit already).

We have just tried to apply for a visitor Visa for my husband to then get him an ARC through BOCA in Taipei and they said that due to my husband mot applying on the same day I did, he needs to apply in Hong Kong.

We have a trip to Hong Kong planned for 9th June (it was a pre planned visa run incase I didn’t get a job in time). This happens to be a Saturday so no go at the office.

Is there any way that he can work with an agent and pick up his documents from Hong Kong when we visit? How does this work re his passport?

Sorry for sounding like a complete novice but we have looked all over for info and it all seems very contradictory.

Many thanks in advance,

Alexis

When you get your white collar ARC you can get an ARC for your husband as your immediate family and dependent without any visa run. However to do that you would need to have your marriage cert authenticated in the ROC representative office in the country where you got married.

Thanks for that, would he need to apply for a visitor Visa first (with him being visa exempt) it looks like you can’t convert “no visa” in to anything else without having a visitor visa first?

I have the original marriage certificate and it has been authenticated by TECO in the UK.

Thanks again

Alexis

I think it should have be done together with OP, as OP experienced.

“In addition, white-collar professionals who have obtained a work permit within their permitted duration of stay(Brunei, Philippines and Thailand are not included) may apply for a work visa together with their spouse and minors (under age 20) who entered the ROC at the same time.”

If what Tando just said is correct then I guess it is a visa run to HK. And that doubly sucks becasue its two days to process it too.

It is impossible to use an agent for this for a couple of reasons, including that they will see that he has a Taiwan ROC entry stamp on the passport, but no exit stamp.

If it was me I’d wait for the ARC and go back with that and shake the BOCA tree again, and be as nice as possible, and beg to see the supervisor et cetera, just in case they are willing to bend the rule for you. It can work (I have had them bend rules for me before including process things faster than they initially said was possible, and processing things that they initially refused.)

1 Like

I’ll give this a try once I get my ARC, fingers crossed!

Thanks everyone :grinning: