Visa for my child when we both got HES scholarship to study Mandarin

Hi all,
I’ve been in touch with the consulate about the visa for my child to go to Taiwan with us.
We got 3-month scholarship to learn Chinese and will apply for visitor visas (under study purpose). We’ve been advised that my child does not need a visa (he is a UK citizen) and can be exempted for 3 months, possible to extend another 3 months after.
We plan to stay 6 months but it’s not guaranteed so we haven’t booked a return ticket. So there are few things I’m still not clear:

• If you come to Taiwan under visa-waiver scheme, do they check if you have a return ticket at the Customs?
  • Can my child still apply for a visitor visa to be safe? and what documents do I need to prepare (as I can’t find it online for dependent cases)?
  • Can he go to private nurseries if he doesn’t have a resident visa?

Thanks all.

Normally the airline will require you to have a ticket to leave Taiwan before allowed to board. So it does not have to be a return ticket per se, a ticket to another country is fine. It is a requirement for airlines.

British can enter visa exempt and a child being accompanied by a parent won’t need to apply for a visa, although you could contact the Taiwan visa office in the country you are in an ask.

My grandson was visiting from Australia and he went to his fathers Kindergarten. No Resident visa required. All things though will be done in Chinese.

Hi I’ve been looking at old threads about HES as I will be applying soon. I was wondering if you’d be able to give me some application tips. Did you apply from a small or large country? What was your Chinese level before applying? What information did you include in your personal statement section?

Hi, I applied for Chung Hsing Daxue at Taichung as I didn’t aim for Taipei. I was at pre-intermediate level but my husband was at beginners level (he almost started from 0). I just included all the reasons why I wanted to study in Taiwan :slight_smile: like my background, what motivated me to study Chinese and why I needed to go to Taiwan to study Chinese.