Visa for my Thai wife

Hi

I am thinking of moving from UK to taiwan

Get a job as a TEFL teacher.

My wife is here in the UK with me

We will wait until she has her UK passport

Does anybody know whether she can get a permanent visa of some kind? I doubt she will be working…

She will 2 passports thai and uk

Cheers

Marks

Irregardless of what passport she has, if you have an ARC with your job she can apply for a dependent ARC.

1 Like

Can’t she teach English, assuming she has a degree?

How is being Thai relevant? She can just use her British passport.

Excellent yeah though so. Like South Korea. What does ARC stand for, sorry?

Alien Resident Card. Does not necessarily come with working rights though.

fify

1 Like

I thought some other people might have thai wives on here is all… Calm down

With British passport, process might be slightly easier, and she could get a work permit to teach English and her independent ARC, if she has a degree.

No degree for her. No qualifications and she won’t be up to that level trust me on that lol! I am still teaching her basics!!

Well in that case you can at least sponsor a dependent ARC. It is pretty straight forward. If you arrive visa free make sure you enter Taiwan together (to avoid visa runs)

If you don’t mind me asking, why are you choosing Taiwan over Thailand?

Wages and less sleazy old men around

:grandpa:

1 Like

I’m sure you’ve thought this through, but Thailand feels like a no-brainer.

Teaching gigs for starter teachers aren’t significantly higher here anymore. Vietnam’s even higher.

I have 1 years experience from Thailand. Shane school specifically

34000 baht a month wasn’t enough for 2 people and I had no savings… Hence the UK move

Saw ad on Dave’s esl cafe job board at genius English at kaohsiung… What’s the starting wage there then. I read £1500 is lowest u get…

Also saw a 2 bed apartment at £350 a month… On century21global

Please enlighten me

Also what’s numbers in Vietnam

I didn’t know Shane had started up in Thailand again. I thought the big guy had got banned.

The lowest wage you can get depends on how many teaching hours are available. 1500 pounds would be around 60,000NTD which feels to me like an average level for a new teacher in Taiwan. It’s around what I started at IIRC, and that was also with Shane.

I was perhaps wrong about Vietnam in that the people I know working there are very experienced.