Visa for travel to China

I haven’t traveled to China since 2019.

I’m American and have a 10-year visa in my old expired passport. How can I check if the visa is valid? I’m thinking that I can take my old and new passports to China for travel but I’d hate to show up and find out that it has been cancelled.

I remember they were suspended at some point during COVID? This page suggests you can use it again now:

https://cibtvisas.com/china-reopening#:~:text=May%20I%20use%20it%20to,it%20for%20entry%20into%20China.

This announcement from January seems to suggest that after your current visa expires, you can get a new one to compensate for the suspended period:

http://us.china-embassy.gov.cn/eng/lcbt/sgfyrbt/202301/t20230131_11016562.htm

Obviously it would be wise to check before getting on a flight though… maybe with the issuing consulate/agency?

Good advice. I was remembering something about suspensions. I’m going to check with the issuing agency.

I also just found this from this website 中华人民共和国驻大不列颠及北爱尔兰联合王国
Q14. I have renewed my passport now but the Chinese visa on my old one is still valid. Can I go to China with both passports without applying for a new visa?

A: You can travel to China on the expired passport containing valid Chinese visa in combination withthe new passport, providedthat the identity information (name, date of birth, gender, nationality) on both passport identical. If there is change to any of the above details, you must apply for a new visa.

1 Like

I think that bit has always been the case? (Also for other countries, IIUC.)

The thing I’d be concerned about in your case would be making sure your previous visa was just suspended rather than cancelled, because I vaguely remember reading something like that at some point during the pandemic as well, and with China, who knows?

1 Like

It’s lifted.

1 Like

I’m still going to email the issuing Chinese consulate just to be sure about my visa validity.

The Chinese Visa Application Centre instead of the consulate or embassy might also help as well.

1 Like

I have 10 yr visa issued in 2018. Valid until 2028.

Got a new passport after 2018.

China temporarily stopped recognition of these 10 yr visas during covid, but now again accept them.

Went to China last month, and brought both old passport with valid visa and new passport. Customs will check both, domestic flights and trains only checked new passport, some hotels wanted both, others only new passport.

4 Likes

Just an FYI, the Department of State issued a warning against travel (“reconsider travel”) to “Mainland China” (THEIR WORDS NOT MINE!) a few days back

due to the arbitrary enforcement of local laws , including in relation to exit bans, and the risk of wrongful detentions .

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories/china-travel-advisory.html

Thank you for sharing your experience here.

I heard about this. Because I’m a nobody, I don’t worry too much. I certainly don’t do drugs or have a suitcase full of bibles to distribute. At the same time, I recognize the risk.