Visa Free Ways to extend stay

You are planning to book another flight?

AirAsia is still flying to TPE-OKA-TPE with a 1h25m transit. So it’s a squeeze.
Originally I had booked KHH-OKA-TPE with Tigerair and a relaxed 2h transit. But the outbound flight got cancelled. But I still have the OKA-TPE from Tigerair, in case I miss the Airasia flight.
At 7.30am I am going to wait at the immigration office to get an answer fast and then make my way to the airport or not.

Sounds stressful. If it all works out and you get another 3 months, what will you do then?

just got the news that visa extempt might be suspended since yesterday. Neither the immigration agency nor my embassy has any confirmed info yet. Not leaving today https://taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2020/03/18/2003732897

I’m going to ask if they can let me stay. Cause now I can’t even go back to my country theres no flights. I found only flights that pass from China and are at least 30 hours long

There should be some useful info for you here:

1 Like

Watch with the cross posting. Three should be enough.

2 Likes

Word. No more visa free. If you’re from the UK you can extend to 180 days at NIA, that’s about it. Otherwise Taiwan is going to deport you.

my 180days visa also due on the 14th of April and my wife is Taiwanese ! i just plan for over stay and i still waiting for marital status n criminal clearance certificate to be certified

I think if you go down and explain your scenario, they could sort it out.

In the short term - that is, until all the covid-19 issues have been revolved - there will be no Visa-free entry to Taiwan.

I would expect things to be mostly restored (possibly with some adjustments) after that though, else there will be no tourists in either direction.

I think you’ll be fine as you’ve got another month. Not much to worry about there, should be processed in time.

I’m so confused with what I’m going to do. There’s no flights to Greece until next month plus now the government wants to cancel all international flights for 2 weeks and I need to leave Taiwan before April 8th. I’m worried that in the end I will have no flight to leave Taiwan and also no time to get a tourist visa. So I will be forced to overstay.

idk, sounds awful, but maybe consider going to local Immigration bureau and ask an official directly. Even if long lines, stay until you get an answer. Bring proof you cannot get back to home country.
Unlikely to find an answer here, as things are rapidly changing every day.

2 Likes

NIA released an amnesty program for oversays.
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5475/5478/6928/146024/

From article: Reduced penalties for self-reporting visa overstayers in Taiwan | Taiwan News | 2020-03-20 11:46:00

According to the amnesty program, individuals residing in Taiwan on an expired visa who self-report between April 1 and June 6 (Note: On the NIA website it says June 30th) will be eligible for reduced penalties: no detention, no entry ban, and a minimum fine of NT$2,000 (US$66).

Is this a decent last-resort option if BOCA keeps the “corona is not force majeure” rule?

4 Likes

Does that mean people from visa-exempt countries won’t lose their visa-exempt privileges?

1 Like

Ah, good newz. Personally don’t care about it affecting my chances of showing up unannounced in the future. If there even is a future.

So does this effectively extend everybody’s visa expiration to June 6? (in exchange for fines)

The program will be in effect until June 30, 2020 not June 6.

1 Like

Thank you, yes the article i quoted seems to have the date wrong. The official website says it’s the June 30.