Visa overstay

Heading to NIA now, wish me luck, I’ll keep you posted, also on a flight to HK this evening.

Not to mention a landing visa is hella expensive.

Is there any chance they’ll just issue a multiple entry visa in Hong Kong? Or they won’t considering the circumstances. On the application online, I checked the multiple box just in case but now second guessing if I should refill it out with single. It’d be nice and solve a lot of trouble if I get a 60 or 90 multiple visa in Hong Kong.

I talked to people at NIA and foreign affairs. They said as long as I get that visa in hk they will grant me entry. Fingers crossed.

In case hk really denies me, could I go to Japan or another country to try and reapply? Has anyone had luck elsewhere besides hk?

In order to apply for a visa in Hong Kong successfully, you’ll need a valid reason to be here.
Telling them that you’ll be here for leisure activities might not be enough.
If I were you, I’d register with Chinese classes, pay in advance and made sure the school is on the accepted list for visa extensions.
Take all the documents of proof with you to Hong Kong. It also helps to pay backwards into the past, get the attendants records showing minimum of 12 or 24 hours a week attended, though it’s a little cheating.
Remember, you’ll need a reason to be here, not a romantic one.

why would you need a reason? its a tourist visa isn’t it? as far as i understood it they shouldn’t have a problem unless you are trying to work illegally or something.

and you can apply from japan or korea also. i’ve looked into it myself as i overstayed once. i chose to go back home rather than go through all of that hassle though as i had no money at the time and had only been in taiwan 3 months.

OP has an overstay on his record. The purpose of requiring persons from visa waiver countries who overstayed to apply for visas (for a certain period) is to make sure they do not overstay again. One way of achieving that outcome is to make visa issuance conditional, i.e. asks for a more precise purpose of entry than “tourism” and require some supporting documents.

He needs a reason because he overstayed and he will get that nasty stamp into his passport.
Please, read the small print on your visa application.

I hereby acknowledge and accept that the government of the ROC reserves the right to reject this visa application and to withhold the reason for the rejection.

Something like the above is on that form.

wouldn’t you need to apply for another visa if your purpose isn’t tourism though?

honestly, its a first time thing in ten years and the reason seems to be down to some miscommunication. i don’t see it being any trouble myself. its not like one of those dudes who did it on purpose and has been overstaying for years. i’m not sure the stamp is a big deal either. doesn’t everyone get an exit and entry stamp in taiwan? i doubt it would stick out.

anyway i got a new passport when it happened to me just to be sure. i was due anyway. i still have the old one, it was a rough experience all round. i was glad to be rid of that passport.

In other words, you are giving bad advice here.

To the OP, you overstayed this long without noticing it?
Your girlfriend must be hot. If your visa gets rejected in Hong Kong, don’t forget to post your GF e-mail here so the fellow forumosans can pick up where you left off.

well nothing bad happened to me, maybe some others with experience who have been through the procedure can chime in. from what i remember there was one guy who was doing it pretty regularly.

You need to clarify!
You went back to old country after overstaying.
You came back with a new passport.
Did you come back within the timeframe stipulated on that nasty stamp?

Nothing bad happened to you. That’s good for you.
The last time I was in Hong Kong, I met a guy who went through a divorce here in Taiwan. He had three kids and they denied his visa.

Stuck in Hong Kong!

Single guy in Hong Kong is not stuck…

1 Like

Keep in mind that, if need be, Thailand is far cheaper than Hong Kong for a long-term stay.

Can’t you download a proof of balance in PDF using their website or app?

Yeah, I can log onto my bank’s website and download any month’s statements as PDF files, and print them out.

1 Like

Ok, big update. I just finished going to the Visa office in Hong Kong.

These are the documents I brought.

1. Passport
  2. Application Signed with 2 photos
  3. First page copy of passport
  4. Apology letter
  5. Ticket to Taipei on July 8
  6. Ticket to LA on September 1
  7. Bank statement (Taiwanese account)*
    *Note, they did ask why I had a Taiwanese account and I explained I studied here a few years ago. She made a note on the document but it was accepted.
  8. Copy of the documents showing I paid the penalty for over staying
  9. Cash in hand*
    *Note, I thought I needed to pay in USD which is said on the site but that was incorrect. I had to pay in HKD which was about HKD1250 give or take. Additionally, there was no option to fast-track things. On the site it seemed if you paid extra then you’d get it done faster.

Result
I believe it was all accepted. She told me to come back tomorrow afternoon between 2-5. I clarified asking if it’d be single or multiple entry and she confirmed for a multiple entry.

So far this is all good news. Only 2 more hurdles.

1. Getting the document tomorrow. It should go smoothly though I have some fear they may decide to reject it between now and then.
  2. Getting through Taiwan immigration. Again, should go smoothly, I even asked foreigner affairs yesterday and they said as long as I have a VISA, they wouldn’t deny me entry.

The hardest part is done, but I’ll keep updating as things progress.

5 Likes

Crossing my fingers for you that the rest goes smoothly.

Sounds like you are on the right track. I know someone who did the same thing and I think the process you are describing is correct. They are back in Taiwan.

Good luck and thanks so much for sharing your experience.

Very very helpful (and updated) information.

I second that notion.