Visa Run Question

I need to do a visa run, I’ve never done one before, so I’m hoping someone can help me with my questions (thank you!).
When I arrive at the destination airport, do I need to pass through immigration? (essentially leaving the airport) or can I simply go through to the international transfer security checkpoint? (Assuming my flight back to Taiwan is within a few hours.)
Is getting a stamp on my passport proving I left Taiwan mandatory? Or is my re-entry enough?
I have an Australian Passport (90 days visa-exempt entry).
Thank you in advance!

I don’t believe they check where you’ve been; just that you’ve left.

Yes, you have to pass through immigration and then go back through the airport again, check back in and so on.

You’ll need to show them that you’ve booked a flight leaving Taiwan, however. Unless you’re just doing this for working visa purposes.

I haven’t tried to do a same-day visa run (always stay at least one night) so take this with a grain of salt:

• I’d think that you’d want to pass through immigration even if you’re not required (though I’d think you’d be required to since it’s not really a transfer but a separate flight – I wouldn’t think they would give you your return ticket when checking-in in Taiwan?) to make sure that you’ve “entered” a different country
  • Are you referring to the exit stamp that Taiwan gives? Or the entry stamp to another country? At Kaohsiung Airport at least they have stopped giving exit stamps (and just use the automated machines), and not all countries give an entry stamp (I believe HK doesn’t give an entry stamp?). Either way, I think as long as you passed through immigration of another country you’d be clear
  • Also be aware that when you pick up your ticket to come back to Taiwan the airline will probably ask you for an onward ticket – I started just buying my trips +3 months in advance to get around this, but there are services where you can pay $8 or so to generate a legitimate booking (that is automatically canceled for you)

Good Luck!

Taiwan doesn’t care if you enter another country. They know you left and that you are returning even without any stamps in your passport. Anyway, entering another country has nothing to do with Taiwan.

I’ve heard people do visa runs to Hong Kong and never go through immigration. They just go from arrival to departures while picking up boarding pass for return flight at airline desk internal to airport.

No, just no.

I’ve written a long post on this before I think. The best method is to book on CAL or Eva to HK and get both your boarding passes issued in Taipei. Tell any counter staff you are doing a visa run. They’ll understand. When you land in HK go straight to the transfer desk of the specific airline. CAL or Eva or Cathay. Again tell them you’re doing a visa run. They’ll validate your boarding pass and direct you to transfer security clearance. After which you’ll be on the departure side of the airport and can buy some chocolates and vodka.

On a side note, HK DOES NOT STAMP YOUR PASSPORT ANYMORE. So there’s no point going through immigration anyway.

Any hassle for an onward ticket pull out a few credit cards and ask to sign a waiver of indemnity.

2 Likes

How do you know so much about visa runs? Haven’t you been in Taiwan since 1950 or something?

I did a two year stint free-lance a few years ago so I perfected my visa run chops.

You’re still on an employer sponsored ARC?

Yes. I go walkabout every 2 or 3 years so never meet APRC requirements. Although with the new rules I’m edging ever closer, like a donkey slouching towards the zoo.

I thought someone had posted something about it before.

Unfortunately they are stricter about this now than they used to be. They’ll bug you about your leaving Taiwan ticket every time, and don’t care to hear anything about any visa run.

Is that so? Bastards.

Still, you can print out your boarding passes yourself and hide from them in the boarding lounge when they inevitably try and flush you out. The onward ticket thing is a nonsense, even if immigration checked for it you can literally pull out your smartphone and buy a ticket online for NTD2000 right in front of them. (Taipei-Hanoi on VietJet, Taipei-Manila on Cebu Pacific etc etc.)

I thought you were half Taiwanese, hanna14?

Dual citizenship is hard to get if you weren’t born here! :disappointed:

I’d marry a local but they’re all too intimidated by my physique.

I hear you. There are plenty that are intimidated by my physique, especially if the seat next to me is the only one available. Locals and big guns don’t go well together either.

Immigration systems the world over are odd, but Taiwan’s is particularly nuts.

Thank you for the responses! So I just booked round-trip to HKG via Eva. Any additional advice?
Thanks again

Just try and print both boarding passes in Taipei. Download the EVA app also. Be confident, dress smart. Ask to sign a waiver if challenged and explain you’re an international man of mystery and you aren’t certain of your next port of call.

AND DON’T CHECK IN ANY BAGGAGE.

You are all doing it wrong I did 15 years of visa runs mostly to Hong Kong.
The thing is to make a mini holiday out of this tiresome chore
I always stayed a few days in Hong Kong or Macao and had a bit of fun doing this stupid chore

Made the chore into a little bit of a fun thing
And you can do it fairly inexpensively

Are used to go to Korea as well as that was very in expensive

Nowadays you can go to the Philippines or Thailand or Singapore or Vietnam fairly cheap

So if possible save a few dollars for your visa runs and have a bit of fun it makes this tire some activity at least somewhat fun

1 Like