Visa run to HK

Okay, I need to do a visa run to HK. Now, I know this has been talked about before. But I can’t find any posts using this site’s search engine. I type in Hong Kong'' and visa run’’ and get nothing. Zip. Zilch. So if some can indulge me: I plan to go just for the day. What do I do? What do I need to know? What’s the turnaround time? Should I plan on staying longer? Thanks

gosh, in order to get it all done in one day, then you’ll need to get your application in before 12:00, or it’s no cigar. Get the first plane from Taipei to HongKong, probably about 9:15am or so, then upon arriving, don’t mess around, jump straight on the shuttle train. Buy a return ticket. This’ll drop you off at HongKong station, then grab a taxi, the meter probably won’t even tick over. It should be about 11:00 by the time you set foot into the office. Gives you 1 hour to sort things out:

Lippo Tower, Lippo Centre
40th floor,
Queensway, Hong Kong
Phone: 2525-8315
Opens: 9am
Days: Monday to Friday, Saturday 9am to noon

Visa Fees:

Single entry visitor visa…HKD 280
Multiple entry visitor visa…HKD 560
Single entry resident visa.HKD 510
Multiple entry resident visa.HKD 700.

[quote=“amos”]gosh, in order to get it all done in one day, then you’ll need to get your application in before 12:00, or it’s no cigar. Get the first plane from Taipei to HongKong, probably about 9:15am or so, then upon arriving, don’t mess around, jump straight on the shuttle train. Buy a return ticket. This’ll drop you off at HongKong station, then grab a taxi, the meter probably won’t even tick over. It should be about 11:00 by the time you set foot into the office. Gives you 1 hour to sort things out:

Lippo Tower, Lippo Centre
40th floor,
Queensway, Hong Kong
Phone: 2525-8315
Opens: 9am
Days: Monday to Friday, Saturday 9am to noon

Visa Fees:

Multiple entry resident visa.HKD 700.[/quote]

Iris, you forgot to quote his sig. as well.

HTH!

Chris
:shock:

[quote=“amos”]

Visa Fees:

Multiple entry resident visa.HKD 700.[/quote]

I paid 420 HKD for a single entry visitor visa in one day, two weeks ago, and it was stamped “not expandable”. But at least, I got it. And as I have my work permit now and will get my ARC on friday, I don’t have to worry about visa runs any more.

I had expected to get my resident visa without having to leave the country again, but I was here on a landing visa, and that couldn’t be changed into a resident visa. Anyway, now, it’s over.

I think, if you are only there for one day, you only have to pay single fare for a round-trip on the express train. But you better check that again.

Good luck
Iris

[quote=“Mindcrime”]Iris, you forgot to quote his sig. as well.

HTH!

Chris
:shock:[/quote]

Hi Chris

Well, I was a bit shocked when I tried to log on to Oriented today. Looks like I have some difficulties adjusting to the new look and slightly changed features :slight_smile:

I tried to edit that post, but somehow, it didn’t work out, and the edited version became a new post underneath.

No offence meant
Iris

None taken, of course. I was just teasing you. :slight_smile:

Chris

I’ve been away a while but still have a portion of my 5-year visitors visa remaining. I’m going to be there soon and it expires in February. I’m planning a trip that month anyhow, but plan to return to Taiwan afterward.

I remember from being there a few years ago that different offices are known for giving different visas out, and that certain offices ONLY gave out a limited type (ie 30-day visas and no others of the visitor type). I’m not expecting to get another 5-year, but would really like to get a 1-year multiple entry. Has anyone obtained one of these from nearby offices (HK, Manila, Bangkok, Guam)? Can someone shed light on the differences in visas handed out at these places? As I never dealt with it all before the info, has long faded.

Thanks a million! :slight_smile:

Not Thailand. They are notorious for giving people a hard time and when I applied there they only gave me a 30 day.

Thanks for the replies. Let me be more specific about my situation. I currently have an ARC which is set to expire in mid-September, thus making this visa run necessary. I don’t yet have another job lined up. What I want is that two-month visitor’s visa deal that can be extended up to six months. I also want multiple entries.

Do I need to purchase a one-way ticket to HK, then purchase a return trip ticket from HK-Taipei-HK to take to the visa office to show that I ``plan’’ to leave Taiwan sometime in the future? Or is a Taipei-HK-Taipei ticket sufficient?

Thanks

[quote=“Iris”]

I paid 420 HKD for a single entry visitor visa in one day, two weeks ago, and it was stamped “not expandable”. [/quote]

Anyone else have any amusing stamps from Chunghwa Travel? “Not negotiable” maybe? “Not edible”?