Visit by S'pore PM in waiting

[quote]Lee said in a Friday speech in Singapore that his country is better off than Hong Kong because it is independent.
“We can chart our course for the benefit of 4 million Singaporeans, unlike Hong Kong where the way to the future is decided by China to advance the overall interests of not only 7 million Hong Kongers but also 1,300 million mainlanders,” he said. [/quote]

The saddest part of all this is the quote that MikeN supposedly picked out ie the original quote is not faithfully reported in the newspaper clip/quote from SCMP supplied by Jive Turkey. (or the version are different) I couldn’t find the copy of Lee Kuan Yew’s (the father) speech from Straittimes even after following tymebomb’s link to straitstimes. I always assume this is the most faithful representation since the person we are talking about is Lee. After rereading the the SCMP version several times, I disagree that the yahoo version from MikeN is “equivalent”.

Having said all that I still think Lee is wrong anyway about China charting the course of Hong Kong. maybe ego at his age So a real quote and follow up from MikeN from the very first instance would have help instead of subsequent claims and counter claims. If we had the real quote in the first instance I would have said I disagreed with Lee instead of saying this is unbelievable it must be a concoction. By saying it is a concoction I am actually trying to give Lee Xian Long credit!!! As I couldn’t find any work related to the father for the weekend I assumed the mention of LEE KUAN YEW was a misprint in the first post from Mike for the son Lee Xian Long

Oh Jive try to read my posts carefully. I was only wrong accidentally once. It was a combination of factors as you can obviously see. Also you have a habit of twistiing my words or other people’s words and trying to use it as “platform” to display your “immense” knowledge or so it seems. I find it so boring reading your replies.
:raspberry: :loco:

hi, sorry about the bad link… don’t seems to work… but you can always search under the hong kong and Minister Mentor which should show the link dated ion 23 Aug… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

[quote]

Posted in the wrong place by:
songzzz
Memorized My Password

IMHO, very well said! .

? cross-straits situation is potentially the most dangerous problem in the region. Economically, China and Taiwan are getting closer together. But politically, they are drifting apart. … In the current, very tense cross-strait situation?I wanted to understand the thinking of my friends and contacts. Some of them are now key leaders on both the Pan-Green and Pan-Blue sides. I needed to sense the shifts in tone and texture of Taiwan society. Only then can I make an objective assessment with conviction and knowledge…?

etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/ … 341945.htm

Brilliant – a piece of snot and “lampa.” He is spot on. When I worked at the Straits Times for a year (worst experience of my life), I would often hear the senior editors fawn over the PRC. What a worthless, spineless country the “Lion City” is. :smiling_imp:

[quote=“Chewycorns”]http://www.etaiwannews.com/Taiwan/2004/09/28/1096341945.htm
[/quote]Hilarious, and right on the money. A suitable comment from the minister, and on tape? Nope.

Where did CSB find this diplomat? And people wonder why the DPP is still unable to shed the image of being a party full of hicks and under-educated people.

I’m sure we’ll make more allies with this Foriegn Minister in office.

Why doesn’t he lamblast Japan and USA in public for having formal relationship with PRC instead of ROC?

At this rate we should have hand Taiwan over to the PRC and save ourselves further embarrassment.

AC_Dropout,

It is idiotic of you to compare education with party politics. The hard-core pan-blue protesters and supporters after the election sure didn’t act in an educated and dignified manner did they? :smiling_imp:

Mark Chen is not a diplomat he is a politician and Taiwan should have more like him.
Cheers!

Hicks huh? Typical nasty waishengren comment. Comments like these from Chinese people like you is damaging the ethnic harmony between Chinese and Taiwanese in this country.

As Pan-Blue Pro-China Invasionist you were probably happy about what Singapore said huh? What a jerk. Go back to China, lest you get accidently rounded up by the Homeland Security Department there in the USA.

For the record, I loved those comments by Mark Chen. Excellent. Finally, someone has the balls to talk about balls and not pansy to rest of the world. Why walk on egg shells? The rest of the world already treats Taiwan like dirt. I was so angry about Singapore’s comment and laughed so hard when I heard what Taiwan’s Foreign Minister said. Excellent!

Hicks huh? Typical nasty waishengren comment. Comments like these from Chinese people like you is damaging the ethnic harmony between Chinese and Taiwanese in this country.

What a jerk. Go back to China, lest you get accidently rounded up by the Homeland Security Department there in the USA.

[/quote]
Hobart and AC – two sides of the same coin. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“Hobart”]
For the record, I loved those comments by Mark Chen. Excellent. Finally, someone has the balls to talk about balls and not pansy to rest of the world. Why walk on egg shells? The rest of the world already treats Taiwan like dirt. I was so angry about Singapore’s comment and laughed so hard when I heard what Taiwan’s Foreign Minister said. Excellent![/quote]

“How to Win Friends and Influence People”, by Dale Carnegie, the Taiwanese edition.

Sandman, you are right. I shouldn’t over generalize. Not all Pan-Blue waishengren think the DPP are hicks. Anyway, upon closer examination it seems AC was very careful not to say that the DPP are hicks, only that they have that reputation. I shouldn’t have brought up the reputation of the KMT as being racist.

Isieh, also point taken. You know, those comments by Foreign Minister Mark Chen are something most people only think about and wish they could say, but they never actually say. I guess this guy just doesn’t mince words. Not a good quality to have as a diplomat for sure, but I am sure he made a lot of people in Taiwan happy for a few moments. Taiwan gets kicked around too often, I guess their foreign minister lost their cool. Ex-Foreign Minister Tsai Ing-wen would never had made those comments.

Hahahah…I can’t help it I am still laughing and look forward to his next gaffe.

I wish that were true - that most people think critically about China and its lackeys. The fact is, people here are apathetic and unmotivated. Whast are they waiting for? An embargo? A missile strike? I think the people should start a grassroots campaign. T-shirts with the caption F*ck China, and a picture of a middle finger prominently displayed would be a good start. The government could deny involvement, and you can be sure that if enough people wore shirts like that, it would get people’s attention. :smiling_imp:

Yeah Hobart. If this weren’t such serious business, it would be pretty amusing, kind of like a “Candid Camera” for politicians. The DPP seems to have some high profile folks who enjoy the “insert-foot-in-mouth” exercise periodically. Unfortunately, this kind of gaffe only feeds the worst stereotypes and Taiwan is the one that is hurt in the end.

As Pan-Blue Pro-China Invasionist you were probably happy about what Singapore said huh? What a jerk. Go back to China, lest you get accidently rounded up by the Homeland Security Department there in the USA.

For the record, I loved those comments by Mark Chen. Excellent. Finally, someone has the balls to talk about balls and not pansy to rest of the world. Why walk on egg shells? The rest of the world already treats Taiwan like dirt. I was so angry about Singapore’s comment and laughed so hard when I heard what Taiwan’s Foreign Minister said. Excellent![/quote]

Damaging ethnic harmony? We just slammed another Chinese Nation for advocating that Chinese people should not be heading towards a direction of war to resolve a territorial and political dispute.

I am dumbfounded that the FM uses terms like snot and testicles when addressing the media on international matters.

Why walk on egg shell? Because the situation between the Straits can and will lead to military confrontation if there on any miscalculations on either side, which will lead to the unintentional lost of life on both sides.

But more disturbing is how the world will view us as our well crafted “victim image” is now shattered, because we obviously got enough balls to tell other nations to F*ck off if they don’t agree with our version of the “One China” Policy. The sad reality is ROC is in no position to play cowboy politics, even if it does reflect the general frustration the people on Taiwan feel about the matter.