Visit Dulan - Saturdays or Sundays?

keep us updated on your take of the coast north of Taitung City

:white_check_mark:

3 Likes

I went to Dulan a few days ago to check it out.

First of all, I did enjoy the bus ride and the scenery along the coast. It does look beautiful and it takes only 30 minutes despite Google scaring you into a three hours trip. So for future reference, if anyone wants to go, hop on the 8102 or 8120 for about 60 NT$ each way from the main bus station in Taitung. The other lines follow a different route, partially inland, and that may take longer.

Other than that, I am pretty underwhelmed. Or should I say that it met expectations? The place is basically a short road and looks deserted (for the most part I saw only asian tourists stopping at the Sugar Factory). To its defense, I was there around 10-11 in the morning when it started raining. Also it’s off season for surfing so these are definitely not ideal conditions to form an opinion. I also went to check the local library which I think is a good place for anyone needing to work a few hours.

On a positive note, by scooter it’s just a short ride away from Taitung. So a good option could be living in the city and drive to the surf spots as I am sure some people might be doing already.

I may give it another chance, going up the coast first to Donghe and stop to Dulan on the way back. We’ll see.

Depends on the lifestyle you want to live.

If you’re looking for a social scene even Taitung would feel small pretty fast. In terms of living it’s better for people that want to get out of polluted cities to enjoy fresh air and the beauty of the environment.

If you have a family and don’t go out much it’s ideal.