Visit Dulan - Saturdays or Sundays?

I am in Taitung City at the moment and planning to hop on a bus to Dulan this weekend. Some topics seem to suggest that weekends are the best and that would make sense…

To anyone living in the area or with first hand knowledge, what’s the “busiest” day there? Saturdays or Sundays? I’m talking about events or the ease of meeting people around.

I would like to see it at its best since I am considering a move there and visiting when it looks like a ghost town won’t be of much help. I will be based in Taitung City for one month and planning frequent trips if I decide that it’s the place for me.

Also, I am into surfing. Any place in town where surfers congregate? It would be nice to make some contacts and ask questions.

If you are there for the Amis cultural experience, avoid Sundays. Seriously. Many of villagers are deeply religious and they simply won’t be there on Sundays. That means closed shops and restaurants, and even if the website says they are going to be open, you won’t find anyone there.

If you are there for the surf scene and coffee shops, American/French/Italian restaurants, then Sundays are fine.

I live in Taitung City and bike through Dulan every Saturday. If you ask me Dulan’s pretty much always the same. The only event that seems to alter that place to any extent is the Open of Surfing, which has already come and gone. Saturdays would see more traffic through that area for sure, given that most tourists are headed back to wherever they came from on Sunday.

Go to Mark and Tini’s bar, Wagaligong, across from the Sugar Factory. Also the Sugar Factory itself, which hosts concerts on Saturday nights. If you’re going up there to meet people I’d recommend not going on a weekday. A lot of those guys come into the city to work on those days.

It takes about a half hour to get to Dulan from Taitung City by taxi. Probably more like twenty minutes. You could always go multiple days.

Judging by what you write, it seems like Saturdays are my best best then?

I am there just for the surf scene. To put things into contest, I have lived in Bali and looking for an alternative to live and surf. Community, healthy and cheap eateries, and nature are what interest me.

Thanks for the name of those spots. I will check them out to see if I can meet anyone willing to give me some info on life there. I am mostly visiting to get an idea of the place and I really don’t mind doing frequent trips.

Good to know that with your own vehicle it’s just a 20 minutes drive tough. But for now I was thinking to take the bus since I am near the station. It says it takes one hour, which is fine since I could enjoy the scenery on the way to Dulan.

If busier is the goal, saturdays.

Dulan is a beautiful place but for people from abroad without having their own business its not great financially. And the people tend to get tiring after a while. But depends what youre into.

If long term is the goal it would be a fun year or 2 experience before you find that ideal village to escape to :slight_smile:

http://www.easttaiwan-surf.com/index_en.php

If you go further up to 東河 Donghe, try this :point_up_2: place.
They had a group of Japanese surfers staying there when we were there about 5 years ago. The owners are nice, speak English. I believe they take guests out to surf during the day.

1 Like

I think I know what you are saying. To tell you the truth I am going without expectations. After Bangkok, I spent 1 month in Saigon, 1 in Kaohsiung, now I am in Taitung, next month in Taipei and then I fly out to the Philippines. Depending on how much I like Taiwan, it could be a visa run or I’ll head to Siargao (good surf spot and I like Filipinos).

But you never know. Dulan could be a good surprise and I might decide to base myself there. All I need is surf in the morning and a library (they got a small one there) to draw all day.

Thanks for the link. It does look interesting.

Is this place in Donghe? If so, how Dulan and Donghe compare for living? I ask since I heard it mentioned a lot when the words “surf” and “taiwan” come together.

Imho, Donghe way better.
Route 23, which takes you over the hills and into Rift Valley, starts just north of the town. Beautiful views on that road, either by bike or scooter.

If you have the time, start farther north at 成功 Chenggong and go south into Donghe to see other small villages.

3 Likes

Time travelers?

Nice place.

Donghe is far better than dulan in many ways. Dulan has turned into a sort of foreigner hotspot for certain crowds. Not saying its bad, if you like that type of crowd, its quite nice that way. If you like more down to earth realistic folk while maintaining the surfing natural aspect, donghe is far better as they arent such extremists. Being slightly further away from the city its also less touristy. But that feeling is very relative.

If youre into the more intellectual crowd of outsiders (both taiwanese and foreign) the rift valley has far more people who take life more serious in an environmental way without just living for beers at 7 and good waves. So it tends to be a more realistic life there with long term happiness and success compared to the beach vibe.

The nice thing about Dulan is the geography and how sheltered it is compared to surrounding areas. Its a very comfortable place as far as environment goes which is why its become a kind of hotspot for certain crowds. Just need to go see if the people there are the kind you get along with. If you do get along with that style, Dulan is an amazing place to be!

What kind of crowds are we talking about exactly? Midlife crisis, yoga is my credo, I drink only kale juice and I see Buddha wherever I go… Or I wear a mustache and suspenders hipster kind… Or I drink all day, chase girls all night? Mind me, I am just describing Bali crowds. A reason that drove me away despite the world class waves and countless friends.

Also, any place that I should visit in Donghe when I go? The kind where you find surfers, locals and expats alike.

If youre into the more intellectual crowd of outsiders (both taiwanese and foreign) the rift valley has far more people who take life more serious in an environmental way without just living for beers at 7 and good waves. So it tends to be a more realistic life there with long term happiness and success compared to the beach vibe.

wtf?

Anyway yes, Saturday.

Taking the bus up there is ok the first time, but after that it sucks. An hour to get to Dulan! It’s like watching paint dry.

From what friends have told me the surf in Bali is better, but living in Dulan is way more chill. Be aware that a lot of the “Dulan guys” don’t actually live in Dulan, but in some of the villages further up the coast.

We’re all time travelers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pdi4HHVBVM

Yeah, I can imagine that at the second and third trip there it can get boring. Anyway, if I decide to stay around I believe a motorbike is a must.

Well, Bali makes +4 millions inhabitants and receives tons of tourists so I wouldn’t expect it to be the same. Surf in the morning and studying the rest of the day is all I want to do, so chill is good. I am more concerned about the vibe and the community spirit though, since I am sure you will end up spending time with the same people.

I guess I’ll discover it once I get there.

Good call

Dulan has restaurants lattes more people

Donghe Chenggong beautiful, local not many people. Can’t go wrong w Anyplace north of dulan on that road

2 Likes

You will DEFINITELY be spending time with the same people. It gets pretty incestuous up there. To the point where some of those “bikini girls” have been with two or three of the same guys. If you’re gonna get wet in that area be sure to wear your rubbers.

One of the problems with living on the coast and surfing is not drinking. I have friends in town who deliberately avoid certain people up there just so it doesn’t lead into binge drinking. From what I hear the worst is summer, when it’s hot and the waves are few.

There are of course people that don’t drink up there, but they’re pretty spread out in terms of the houses they’re renting. The biggest problem is people just getting sick of each other, and the continuation of drama that happened years ago. Somebody banged someone else’s girlfriend, somebody fucked with someone else’s car, that kind of thing.

1 Like

Small surf town syndrome. That’s what a long sabbatic year surfing all day drinking all night leads to.

One thing I really like of Taiwan though, is that it’s really easy to take a brake and spend a month or two in Taipei or Kaoshiung. Especially considering that the swell is not consistent throughout the year.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. All is left is to see how I vibe with the place when I visit.