Visiting to Taiwan.. Language to use

Hi,

First of all I know Mandarin is the most common language in Taiwan but I dont speak it.

So I can speak English, Cantonese and Japanese (i know some french but i know it’s useless)… which one should i use first and mostly likely to be understood?

You will likely get the best response to English in big cities. If you are speaking to an older (70+) person, you could try Japanese–they may not want to use it. Cantonese is unlikely to be useful.

hi thanks for replying!
I included Cantonese is because my cousin said there are lots of Taiwanese in Taipei can understand Cantonese… She went to Taiwan 2 years ago n she said most of the places she have visited can understand her?? I wonder if she is just trolling but then she doesnt need to lie to me… could it possibly because there are lots of HK tourist so people picked up Cantonese?

Try English first, then switch to Japanese if that doesn’t work.

You might find some Cantonese speakers. But most of them will probably also know at least some English.

[quote=“nosmas”]
hi thanks for replying!
I included Cantonese is because my cousin said there are lots of Taiwanese in Taipei can understand Cantonese… She went to Taiwan 2 years ago n she said most of the places she have visited can understand her?? I wonder if she is just trolling but then she doesnt need to lie to me… could it possibly because there are lots of HK tourist so people picked up Cantonese?[/quote]

Not really.

You’ll find more people who understand English and Japanese. By the way, if you are going to try Japanese with 70+ people, make sure they look like they are Taiwanese and not some old KMT soldiers, because they can get pretty angry at you.

thanks! I hope I can get around easily with these 3 languages…:slight_smile: