Visitor Visa for Studying Mandarin (2022)

Hello ,
I am planning to study mandarin at MTC of NTNU.
I plan to study for more than 3 terms which is over 6 months.
I know that I can only get visitor visa with the purpose of studying mandarin then if I wanna study more I need to apply for a resident visa.
The thing is , how early can I get into Taiwan while fulfilling the requirement of 4 month consecutive studies to be eligible for the resident visa application?
Because if I entered Taiwan too early , my visitor visa extendable up to 180 days total is going to end early before I can finish a month of my 2nd term studies which will then make me illegible for Resident Visa Application?

Also I can see in FAQ 6/7 on the MTC of NTNU website , that I only need record of attendance in FAQ 7 but it says I need to have studied 4 months consecutively in FAQ 6.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

First of all, look at the Huayu Enrichment Scholarship before you pay your way to study Chinese here.

The school would be able to help you with your visa.

2 Likes

Hey @LVNDSCAPE , are you successfully enrolled in more than 6 months of courses (3 or more terms) at NTNU MTC?

My school (CCU MLC) is telling me I will enroll in the third term once Im in Taiwan, even though the visa application requires enrollment in more than 6 months (under current pandemic regulations). So I’m a bit confused.

Hello

I was able to get visa for my entry to Taiwan through special entry permit provided by MTC (NTNU) which requires you to be enrolled for 6 months (2 terms).

They will only give you FR (visitor Visa) for your language studies , of which mine was 60 days. I will have to keep extending my visitor visa until I have met the 4 months of consecutive studies to be eligible for resident visa and ARC application.

In fact, I applied for 6 months summer program and got my special entry permit and arrived in Taiwan yesterday and currently undergoing quarantine.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Did you find any answers to your initial question? I’m planning on coming a month or two before classes begin, which puts me in the same dilemma as you described.

Turns out you really cant enter Taiwan months earlier before your semester actually begins.
Once you’re enrolled the school will stipulate a period during which you must arrive in Taiwan.
In my case , my semester will begin in June but my arrival date should be between May 14th and 20th.