Vocab list fer passin the high school entrance exam

Charlie,

I have some of the books you need at home. I need to check if the name/content is still valid, then I’ll post. The best ones -IMHO- are from an editorial that is not in business anymore. But you can check the usual band of culprits: KuanFu, Nanyang, etc. the same ones who do the textbooks.

Which means that if you want them, you won’t find them at Eslite -at least, I haven’t checked that part there yet. Find yourself a concerned Taiwanese parent, who will take you to the Bookstore Street, Zhongxin South Road, and follow the trail of bushiban weary parents and students to the biggest stores there, and start looking with a magnifying glass.

Same with the url. I got them somewhere from the education research department Shida website and the MOE website, but I need to check for the details.

EDIT:

From the GIO website:

[quote]
Beginning in SY2001, junior high graduates have to pass the Basic Achievement Test for Junior High Students (BAT) 國中基本學力測驗 for Junior High Students.

The BAT, which is held twice per year, covers the following subjects: Chinese, English, mathematics, natural sciences, and social sciences. The BAT is the primary index for admission into secondary institutions. After obtaining a BAT score, students can then file applications, be selected by recommen-dation, or get assigned based on their BAT achievement to a secondary institution. Beginning in SY2002, all junior high school graduates planning on entering senior high schools, vocational high schools, or five-year junior colleges are required to submit a BAT result.

High school graduates recommended and selected are required to pass the general Scholastic Attainment Test for College-Bound Seniors (SAT) 學科能力測驗 and the College Testing of Proficiency for Selected Subjects of College-Bound Seniors (CTPSS) 指定項目甄試. [color=orange]Taiwan’s increasing number of colleges and universities has reduced the competitive pressure of examinations.
[/color][/quote]

Funny. Very funny.

Icon, thank you very, very much. The information you posted clarifies some things and is very helpful to me. About schooling here, there’s just this whole world of things that I know very little about.

As to the other information you mentioned, if you can post it without any great trouble to yourself, I’d certainly appreciate it very much (I’ll take any information I can get), and I expect bob would, too, and possibly some future readers of Forumosa.

But even if you don’t post any more information, what you have posted so far has been very helpful.

And thanks, also, for sharing your experiences!

Sure would.

Actually I was hoping that somebody would know exactly what vocab would be found on the test, how often each item would occur, which sense of each word is used, how often, in what grammatical patterns… I hoped that they would know the relative frequency of each pattern; and that all of this information would be included in one book that everybody knew was the best book because people, by the tens of thousands, have been preparing for the basically the same sort of test (with some variations - the details of which would also be common knowledge) and obviously everybody wants to do well on the same test, the general drift of which should be at least generally familiar to everybody because otherwise it’s not really a fair test is it?

In any event, we do the best we can, struggling through the ambiguity, pulling out our teeth, teaching listening comprehension to a poor kid that ain’t taking a listening comprehension test, etc.

Guys, I’ll try my best, but I do not want to sound like pitching a sale -though I can get you salespeople over in a Taipei minute…

Anyway, I found that the Shida website has the past tests from Minguo 94 to 97 (that’s 2005 to 2008). Free download.

The word list eludes me. It has always been passed around like plans for WMDs. Bob, what you want is classified info used by the local publishing houses, and you know how Taiwanese are about “confidential” data like client contact lists, suppliers’ price lists, etc… What you want has been done basically as in house work by the bushibans, who devise their test success strategies on it.

I’ll be delighted to accompany you on any fact-finding trip or book shopping spree. You have resparked an old research topic.

Hi bob and Icon (and all),

I pasted Icon’s keywords (“國中基本學力測驗”) into Google (later adding “英語科”) and got some stuff. I’m not sure if it’s the right stuff, though. The tests I found appear to be the English portions of the Basic Achievement Test that Icon referred to. The first URL in each grouping of three URLs below is the page containing the links to the tests. The other two links are to the tests themselves (pdf documents which will pop up if you left-click the links, or which can be saved by right-clicking). If you go to the page itself, there are links for two English exams on each page. Each English test link will read “英語科.”

(I put the links to the pages themselves in case anybody wanted to check one of them out to see whether these are the right test documents. Also, those pages may have good information that I’m unaware of because of my very poor Chinese ability.)

Once again, thanks very much, Icon!

But again, bob, I can’t guarantee that these are what you want. Maybe Icon (hope we’re not imposing too much, Icon) will check one of them out and say whether they’re the right ones.

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/90exam.htm
tests on the page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9001/9001e.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9002/9002e.pdf

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/91exam.htm
tests on page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9101/9101e.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9102/9102e.pdf

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/92exam.htm
tests on page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9201/9201english.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9202/9202english.pdf

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/93exam.htm
tests on the page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9301/9301english.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9302/9302english.pdf

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/94exam.htm
tests on the page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9401/9401english.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9402/9402english.pdf

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/95exam.htm
tests on the page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9501/9501English.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9502/9502English.pdf

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/96exam.htm
tests on the page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9601/9601english.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/9602/9602english.pdf

These three tests appear to be practice exams made available before the real exams. Again, the first URL in each grouping is for the page, and the other ones are for the tests themselves.

page containing tests:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/90prexam.htm
tests on the page:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/90pr … _form1.pdf
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/90pr … _form2.pdf

page containing test:
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/94bctest.htm
test on the page (big green link that says “英語”)
bctest.ntnu.edu.tw/exam/94pr … nglish.pdf

Thanks guys. I think I am beginning to get the picture. It’s all multiple choice, no listening section. It’s where I draw the line. The buxiban will teach him how to pass the test and I’ll go back to my old plan about assessing the vocab that he knows and trying to teach him the words he doesn’t. I’ll use easy sentences, lots of repetiton, try to build real context around everything and I’ll do it mostly verbally. That way he’ll actually learn something. Hopefully it will help on the exam.

Test prep ain’t for me.

You’re welcome, and I hope everything turns out well for everyone.

Bob, just make sure it is not the GEPT -that is teh right name- they are aiming for, as that one does have a listening portion -which has nothing to do in level and content withteh written portion…for the same “level”. Yet it is one of the most "respected"tests in Taiwan, being Taida’s and all that jazz.

Charlie, you got it, those are the real tests, both practice and past ones. they should give all a good idea, but I would still like an official word list…

EDIT:
全民英檢(GEPT)

[quote=“Icon”]Bob, just make sure it is not the GEPT -that is teh right name- they are aiming for, as that one does have a listening portion -which has nothing to do in level and content withteh written portion…for the same “level”. Yet it is one of the most "respected"tests in Taiwan, being Tai-Da’s and all that jazz.

Charlie, you got it, those are the real tests, both practice and past ones. they should give all a good idea, but I would still like an official word list…[/quote]

Thanks so much for the information, Icon!

Maybe a word list could be compiled from past tests, by copying and pasting the words from the tests onto a word processor file (such as MS Word or Open Office Write), using the word-processor’s “Sort” function to put the words in list form, and then maybe culling words that the kids are certain (or nearly certain) to be already familiar with (and maybe doing some culling according to any other practical criterion/criteria).

Do you think that could help? Could such a list have good predictive value? Also, could the list turn out to be too unwieldy?

I’m not suggesting or even hinting that anyone do this. But I’m considering doing it.

Again, thanks, Icon.

Dear Charlie,

You would then have to assume that all words from the list are used on the test -which is not the case. You could -as Bob said- draw a frequency of usage, but also, since we do not know what changes they will impose next -they like to do 180’s from one year to the other- then caveat empteor.

What I used to do to help the kids is to draw “clouds”, which are words that are related -within the list- and then add some that are not in the list, but you would probably need for understanding. Like “family”, one topic, take all the words related to it, and add a couple that seem logical but are not there.

Fast reading is vital. The exam will allow 3 to 5 new words per passage -words that are not on the list, but are necessary for the text to make sense-, set in a box with Chinese translation. If you draw the cloud, there is a big chance the words they have as “new” will already be there in his brain, so the student can read the passage faster and hence have more time to think over his answers to the, ehem, reading comprehension questions.

Disclaimer: Again, this is logical, which may depart from with reality.

I would need to compare the official list with the textbooks to give you a reliable answer as to what to use.

Thanks again. You’ve given me a lot to think about. My school doesn’t specialize in this sort of thing, but I’m becoming increasingly interested in it. I don’t yet know where I want to go with that interest, though.

[quote=“Icon”]By the end of high school, poor kid was tested on 7000 (yes, 7000) words. Which means cramming 5000 words in two years.

Has the list been cut? Updated? Adapted to reality? Who knows, but it seems we’ll be going back to the good old days of one book if popular policies in the works prosper.[/quote]

I think this (large pdf document) is the list you referred to, at least as it looked around 2005. It’s about 6,500 words. Is this the list? Do you know of any changes since that time?

The list is entitled 大學入學考試中心 高中英文參考詞彙表

I think this (large pdf document) is another version of the same list.

I got the links from an old post on Forumosa, located here.

A few more questions:

The one book you referred to: was it a series? And did it go all the way through high school?

The choice of books you referred to, is it unlimited? If not, i.e., if the choice is from a list, do you know where the list can be found?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I’m just firing shots in the dark, and I’ll be grateful for any information I can get, even if it’s no more than a hint.

On a related issue, I bring to your attention an article on today’s China Pest:

http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/local/taipei/2008/05/27/158310/Top-textbooks.htm

Told you we would go back to the “good old days”.

Thanks a lot, Icon.

So does that mean that those three districts will not use an MOE list, because the vocabulary will come from the books?

In other words, if students in those districts want to prep for the BAT (de facto high school entrance exam), should they now forget about the MOE list and just concentrate on vocabulary from their book(s)?

[quote=“Charlie Jack”]Thanks a lot, Icon.

So does that mean that those three districts will not use an MOE list, because the vocabulary will come from the books?

In other words, if students in those districts want to prep for the BAT (de facto high school entrance exam), should they now forget about the MOE list and just concentrate on vocabulary from their book(s)?[/quote]Well, in theory, it is supposed that the vocab in The Book -the officially annointed Joy- will be the one from the 1000 or 2000 word list. It would be fascinating to analize the tests to see if this is true. :smiling_imp:

What I mean is that according to the MOE policies, the textbook publishers and the schools and the tests should be based on teh same word list as given by the MOE.

By the way, when is/was the English test? The exams were this week.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“Charlie Jack”]Thanks a lot, Icon.

In other words, if students in those districts want to prep for the BAT (de facto high school entrance exam), should they now forget about the MOE list and just concentrate on vocabulary from their book(s)?[/quote]Well, in theory, it is supposed that the vocab in The Book -the officially annointed Joy- will be the one from the 1000 or 2000 word list. It would be fascinating to analize the tests to see if this is true. :smiling_imp:

What I mean is that according to the MOE policies, the textbook publishers and the schools and the tests should be based on teh same word list as given by the MOE.[/quote]

Ah, now I get it.

[quote=“Icon”]By the way, when is/was the English test? The exams were this week.[/quote] I don’t know. I’ll have to ask some of the junior high kids when they come to school. Or I could google around for it.

Basic capability tests?

The test is all reading, and all multiple choice.

It doesn’t test the basic capability to understand a single spoken utterance. It doesn’t test the ability to put so much as a single word together without a mistake.

Good god almighty.

Anyway, this is the book… [quote]English language book by Joy Publishing [/quote] most representative of whatever it is they do, right? I am not entirely certain actually because the China Post article is so poorly written…

Am I to understand that there is a book by Joy publishing called “English Language.” It’s the book I should get?

Aso, how does the above jive with this…

Shouldn’t it say insisited “on,” or perhaps “upon”?

Seriously though, would that book help the kid pass the test? He did it last week, likely didn’t do so hot (I don’t know yet) and has a chance at a make up in six weeks.

Hi bob,

I didn’t know exactly when the test took place, and I also didn’t know there was a makeup in six weeks. I did quite a bit of googling to try to find out when the test was, and I couldn’t find out, so thanks for that information.

Icon has had experience in this sort of thing, and you have experienced it with your student. I haven’t ever helped anyone prepare for this test, but I think I understand your frustration.

I’m not sure, but I’ll try googling for it.

My understanding is that they used to use just one textbook, or one series, and that they changed to “multiple textbook editions.” That is, apparently they’ve been allowing schools or school systems to choose books. I think that when they say that the new method conforms with multiple textbooks, they’re saying that this new practice does not do away with that policy. But it looks as if it sort of does do away with that policy, at least in the Taipei area.

[quote=“bob”]Seriously though, would that book help the kid pass the test?[/quote]I don’t know. I hope Icon or someone else with knowledge of these kinds of things will answer that one for you.

This page has some books published by Joy English:
sh1.yahoo.edyna.com/joy/item_cat … a_id=12786

Bob:

The Basic Achievement Test for Junior High Students (BAT) 國中基本學力測驗 test is all multiple choice, standard stuff. The readings may vary, though: you have reading passages, at least one menu, a schedule or something “realistic”, one or two dialogues, etc. Topics may vary but they like to keep them fresh: Wang Yien-ming, or whoever is in fashion, etc…

Yes, they can take the test again. That is why you see different versions on the BCTest website in Shida. You have the mock practice tests, the real thing, the backup…

I know that as a teacher it sounds kind of weird to teach students just reading -regardless of their ability in the other language skills. Nevertheless, as non-natives in a TEFL environment, we used to do the same thing back home, as it is the cheapest/fastest method for testing. We did a special course for engineering/science/economics, etc. whatever, who in general did not need to speak at work, but in high probability had to read a lot of materials in English. They could understand and write efficiently, but spoken English was not even touched. That is what they needed, and we gave them that.

As to what objectives they have here in Taiwan, I think it is difficult to match what you write on the MOE’s program designs and what happens in the classroom, since the teachers were trained on the “one book as Bible for testing” mentality. Too many kids to start with, and the system also kicks out the ones who cannot pay for bushiban, so if they can’t prepare for teh tests, the students become disheartened and quit.

I was telling my boss, whose daughter goes to a school that uses Longman’s textbook, to buy the Joy books and start studying from them. If this is the “annoited one”, then topics/vocab most probably will come from it. This I do not know as a fact, but I would bet money on it.

I will repeat here most of the explanation I gave Charlie about the textbooks and their relationship with the tests (please feel free to correct or add):

By “one book” I meant that the Ministry of Education published a book, if memory serves me right it was one for each school level: book 1, 2 and 3 for Junior High 1, 2 and 3. This same book was publihes in the 70’s late 80’s and was used as a Bible for many years. this was way before they started teaching English in primary schools.

For Senior High there was only Far East, same thing, books 1,2 and 3 for Senior High 1,2, and 3.

Then in 2001 the Government decided to “liberalize” the market; that is, the printing companies could come up with their versions of the English textbook -as was in other subjects- and sell it to the schools. At the beginning, there were like 8 big houses that got the lion’s share. Now, after the competition is over, one went broke, one quit, and there are like 5-3 options to choose from -and the foreign companies associated with local publishers, of course.

Parents have complained all along, as the kids do not know which book to study from, it is too expensive to buy all of them, and they did not know which word list to study from. Again, there have been changes in the word lists, and not everyone knows which is the real deal.

You see, this is big business, not only in terms of quantity of textbooks, but rather of the “additional materials”, like practice books, test practice books, vocab and reading books… Furthermore, to make them more attractive, they started mixing the high school test prep with GEPT prep and here comes the mess…

The textbooks themselves have been “edited” several times, at cost cutting practices -meaning they change the cover, don’t change the inside much.

So what I called “open choice” was actually “open market” or not imposing a single book -in theory. As you can see, there is a leap from there to practice. The policy says “one outline, multiple textbook editions”, meaning there should be choices of textbooks, based on the “outline” or program (word lists, learning objectives, etc) set by MOE . This has proven to be neither accurate nor practical in real life.

Hence you have this movement by the old guard (most teachers are quite conservative, anyway) to go back to “one book as Bible for test”. Seems things are moving in that direction.

[quote=“Icon”] I was telling my boss, whose daughter goes to a school that uses Longman’s textbook, to buy the Joy books and start studying from them. If this is the “annoited one”, then topics/vocab most probably will come from it. This I do not know as a fact, but I would bet money on it.
[/quote]

There it is. Thank you.