Vogmask - protection from air pollution in Taiwan

Short summary:

Vogmask is at least as effective against the new coronavirus as typical N95 disposable masks approved for medical use. This is based on empirical lab test results. No mask can guarantee 100% safety against viral infection, and I do not claim such, but as far as disposable face masks go, Vogmask is as good as it gets.

FOR EFFECTIVE PROTECTION, ALWAYS ENSURE PROPER FITTING OF THE MASK TO YOUR FACE.
Note we have recently introduced 2 additional sizes to ensure a better fit for more customers. Current range includes S, M, M+, L and XL sizes.

We are closely monitoring the development of the nCoV outbreak. Current Vogmask stock levels are low due to the recent bushfires in Australia, but we will try to ensure enough supply if the situation escalates.

For conveniency, I will repeat the link to our website here:
Vogmask Taiwan official website and online store

Here is a more detailed answer:

We do not market or advertise our masks as medical devices because our products are oriented to everyday consumer use, rather than to medical use. In practice, however, we subject our masks to the same range of independent, external lab tests, including bacterial and viral filtering efficiency tests. Based on the results from these tests, Vogmask offers protection against bacteria and virus at least as good as N95 medical-use approved masks.

Our masks have been tested by Nelson Labs. This is one of the reference labs for medical mask testing in compliance with both EU and US regulations. Here is a link detailing these tests, for those interested:
Nelson Labs BFE tests

Here are some basic preventive measures against the novel Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection:

• Avoid touching the interior face of the mask with your hands to prevent cross-contamination.
  • Wash your hands with soap before putting the mask on to prevent contaminating your mask.
  • Wash your hands with soap when entering your home before touching other objects.
  • Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands. These are the gates the virus uses to enter your body.
  • Do not consume raw or partly cooked meat and eggs.
  • Limit unnecessary physical contact with other persons.
  • Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing
  • Be careful after touching objects that change hands frequently, such as money, and objects in public spaces and public transport.
  • Boost your natural defenses. Ultimately, they are your only help in case of infection. Get enough sleep, avoid stress, practice exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet including fresh fruits and vegetables.

Last, since I have seen some people saying surgical masks will protect you from infection by coronavirus, here are a few facts about surgical masks:

• Surgical masks offer higher protection than no mask at all, but this protection is not enough. If you are attacked by a bear, a stone is better than nothing, but it is not adequate protection. If it works, consider yourself lucky and buy a lottery ticket when you return home. If something as simple as wearing the right mask can save your life during an epidemic outbreak, don’t take unnecessary risks.
  • Surgical masks are designed to be worn by surgeons during medical procedures. They do not protect the wearer (the surgeon). Rather, they protect the patient. They work by stopping secretions such as saliva from the surgeon entering into contact with open wounds and tissue from the patient.
  • Surgical masks are quite ineffective as a barrier against microscopic particles, including viruses. Such small particles pass practically unimpeded through and around surgical masks. Only a low percentage of unlucky particles will be stopped by their non-filtering material. This is totally fine, because it is not their purpose.
  • Surgical mask usage in daily non-medical environments seems to have been imported into Taiwan from Japan. Japanese polite and respectful society demands that if you are sick you don’t infect others. Japanese wearing a surgical mask when sick from a cold to stop their own secretions from being spread around when coughing and sneezing, thus infecting others. In Taiwan, this was obviously misunderstood, and surgical masks are believed to protect the wearer when it is actually the other way around.

Don’t just take my word, since I’m a biased human. Go and check them, and correct me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes