Vogmask - protection from air pollution in Taiwan

Is this similar to the Vogmask? For what I can see seems same functionality, but I am an illiterate in those things

https://m.etmall.com.tw/Xintown-活性碳防風防塵防霧霾濾芯耳掛式口罩-濾片組-二入口罩-四入濾片/i/2019948

Are they in any more physical stores yet?

I don’t know.

They do have more certifications than Vogmask. Per Vogmask’s website they only got 2 certifications, one in Korea and 1 in China. This other one though has more than that and also a certification in the US. FYI.

I am eager to know recommendation for other brands or comparison chip in as I am about to buy them soon.

1 Like

Vogmask has been certified in the USA, Europe (FFP, CE mark) and other countries like China and Korea.

The European certification in particular is the strictest, I would say. It is a long and expensive process. Every time we improve the materials and design of our masks (which we do regularly), we need to reapply for certifications and pass the tests again. It usually takes several months. Sometimes, we sell improved masks without CE mark in Asia while still waiting for approval in Europe. We know that some of our competitors in Europe advertise as having CE mark when they never even applied for it.

Be particularly careful with Chinese brands. From what we have seen, many of these advertise several certifications they do not remotely have. I have seen Chinese brands using our own Vogmask certificates from years ago in their websites, edited to replace our name with theirs. It is a 5 minute Photoshop job for something that usually takes years of product and material design.

3 Likes

I wonder why those certifications are not on Vogmask website… or have I missed it? Can you link the Vogmask page that has listed those certifications?

Xintown has a strong brand for bike related products, that’s how I got to know them. The photoshop fiasco is easy for anyone to do, not only Chinese brands. Since you mentioned it I guess the only way to find out is accessing the information form to he root, from the related certificate issuing departments. Sine you mentioned that anyone can say it, can you provide a direct link with the records?

I will buy for my whole family, so I want to make sure I am not just wasting on marketing.

2 Likes

My eyes swell up and go red any solutions for that apart from goggles or a NATO approved gas mask.

For the sake of transparency, I have to write this first in big letters in case someone missed the previous messages:

DISCLAIMER: I AM INVOLVED IN THE OFFICIAL DISTRIBUTION AND SALES OF VOGMASK.
As a regional distributor, I don’t speak or represent the global brand. Everything I write here is my personal opinion as a regular user of Vogmask.

There.

Here is the link to the global Vogmask website listing their current lineup’s certifications:
Vogmask USA technical specs

Those VM models are not sold in Europe yet, so no European certification. For this, you can instead check the European website here:
Vogmask Europe info

In Taiwan, we currently still have N99 models (sold in Europe, FFP with CE mark). We also have a few of the newer VM.

You are so right. However, this information is not public. Only the relevant authorities can go after infringing products, and enforcement varies by country.

In the end, go with the brand you trust. When I started using Vogmask, long before I started the regional distribution in Taiwan (I was unbiased then), what convinced me on top of the good user reviews was their dedication to clean air and better health. In the US, they collaborate with over a dozen leading medical institutions. In Asia, they work with non-profit organizations and have even supplied masks to some police department. They definitely know what they are doing. This cannot compare to a brand selling masks as accessories, in my opinion.

If you want me to answer any specific questions about buying Vogmask for your family, better contact directly via Vogmask Taiwan website. Let’s keep only general discussion on this thread.

2 Likes

Great info. Thank you.

Can you stock N99 Organic C2V in all black? 1 vent is not enough for me in the hot Asian weather and I want the N99 rating.

I have been using Cambridge masks for a while and am quite satisfied with them. Seem to be similar to Fogmasks.

Where can you get them here, and sre they N99 rated?

It’s time for me to get another vogmask but the OP here doesn’t sell the dual vent one in N99 black, and single vent is not enough for hot summers.

I got one black dual vent N95 as those are easier to breathe through. This is more important for me than the N99 rating.
Others usually let air escape through sides of the mask when breathing out and this fogs my glasses. Not ideal when driving.

Can you use them at all with the scuba mouthpiece?

I usually order that kind of stuff on Amazon. More selection and the price works out to pretty much the same.

Amazon Taiwan?

The most common issue we heard from our Vogmask customers in Taiwan is that it gets too hot wearing the mask in summer weather. We have been working on improving this for a long time. Our newest models are already much easier to breath in compared to the older N99 models, so they do not feel as hot as the older versions. That is why we are no longer producing the N99 masks. Keep reading, I will try to explain in detail (long post!):

Summary:

• Older N99 models no longer produced.
  • New VM model more comfortable to wear, still very high protection (above N95)

Any filtering mask introduces some resistance to air passing through. This is due to physics and cannot be avoided. The better the filtering, the more resistance. In terms of breathing, this means if you want cleaner air (better filtering efficiency), you need to exert more force to draw your breath in (higher resistance).
Material engineering can improve the resistance/filtering ratio, but the filtering material used in our masks is already state of the art, so any gains due to a better material will be very small.

Vogmask N99 was designed for extreme air quality conditions. This came at the cost of higher breathing resistance. This is not ideal for Taiwan’s conditions, where pollution is not as high as in other parts of Asia, while weather can get really warm and humid.

Attending to the concerns of our customers, we have searched for a better balance in our latest models. Our newer VM masks give up the N99 rating, but in exchange they are much more comfortable to wear and breath in, even in hot summer weather. The actual loss in filtering efficiency compared to the older model is only about 2~3% (they are still better than 95%, N95), but breathing resistance has been reduced in more than half. As a regular user, I can assure you this is our best mask so far.

We still have some leftover N99 masks in Taiwan, but they are no longer in production and they will not be restocked. They are still as good as before, so if you liked them, get them while they are still available, since they are now discounted. If you felt the previous masks were too hot to wear, try the new VM models instead.

Exactly.

Don’t worry too much about the 2~3% loss in filtering efficiency of the new masks. It would only be important on days when the AQI (air quality index) is in the extreme range never seen in Taiwan. On such days, an emergency would be declared and you should stay home anyway.

Regarding your interest in the older Black N99 C2V and after what I explained above, I suggest you try the new Black VM Organic C2V if you want to stick to organic cotton. It offers a better overall experience.

Please note that organic cotton masks, due to the different natural properties of the material, tend to feel hotter than microfiber masks in the humid and warm weather of Taiwan. They have 2 valves instead of 1 to compensate for that, but in my opinion (your experience may vary) they still get a little hotter than microfiber masks. For summer, I would definitely recommend a microfiber (CV) mask, but that is just my personal preference. The new filter I discussed above also applies to organic cotton masks. All VM masks are cooler and easier to breath than the older N99 masks, be it microfiber or cotton.

Bonus trivia 1:
That other brand someone commented about above is a shameless clone of Vogmask. Its creator used to run operations of Vogmask in China. One day he ran away and started selling a clone. Good for him.

Bonus trivia 2:
If you watch or read any reviews of Vogmask, check the date of publication! Most date back to the original introduction of Vogmask in China years ago. Vogmask was the original stylish filtering reusable mask. While innovative at the time, it has come a long way since its first revision. Every year new improvements have been introduced. The current models are a totally different (better) product.

1 Like

Have they launched in Taiwan yet? I usually use the US version. More selection.

How effective are Vogmasks against coronavirus?

If anyone needs a convenient alternative to the Vogmask, I’ve used the 3M 9501V mask and it’s pretty solid. It’s rated N95, fits well (at least for my face), has a single exhalation valve and is sold at Watsons for 129NT, for one set of 3 masks.

Short summary:

Vogmask is at least as effective against the new coronavirus as typical N95 disposable masks approved for medical use. This is based on empirical lab test results. No mask can guarantee 100% safety against viral infection, and I do not claim such, but as far as disposable face masks go, Vogmask is as good as it gets.

FOR EFFECTIVE PROTECTION, ALWAYS ENSURE PROPER FITTING OF THE MASK TO YOUR FACE.
Note we have recently introduced 2 additional sizes to ensure a better fit for more customers. Current range includes S, M, M+, L and XL sizes.

We are closely monitoring the development of the nCoV outbreak. Current Vogmask stock levels are low due to the recent bushfires in Australia, but we will try to ensure enough supply if the situation escalates.

For conveniency, I will repeat the link to our website here:
Vogmask Taiwan official website and online store

Here is a more detailed answer:

We do not market or advertise our masks as medical devices because our products are oriented to everyday consumer use, rather than to medical use. In practice, however, we subject our masks to the same range of independent, external lab tests, including bacterial and viral filtering efficiency tests. Based on the results from these tests, Vogmask offers protection against bacteria and virus at least as good as N95 medical-use approved masks.

Our masks have been tested by Nelson Labs. This is one of the reference labs for medical mask testing in compliance with both EU and US regulations. Here is a link detailing these tests, for those interested:
Nelson Labs BFE tests

Here are some basic preventive measures against the novel Wuhan coronavirus (2019-nCoV) infection:

• Avoid touching the interior face of the mask with your hands to prevent cross-contamination.
  • Wash your hands with soap before putting the mask on to prevent contaminating your mask.
  • Wash your hands with soap when entering your home before touching other objects.
  • Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth with your hands. These are the gates the virus uses to enter your body.
  • Do not consume raw or partly cooked meat and eggs.
  • Limit unnecessary physical contact with other persons.
  • Avoid close contact with anyone showing symptoms of respiratory illness such as coughing and sneezing
  • Be careful after touching objects that change hands frequently, such as money, and objects in public spaces and public transport.
  • Boost your natural defenses. Ultimately, they are your only help in case of infection. Get enough sleep, avoid stress, practice exercise regularly and eat a healthy diet including fresh fruits and vegetables.

Last, since I have seen some people saying surgical masks will protect you from infection by coronavirus, here are a few facts about surgical masks:

• Surgical masks offer higher protection than no mask at all, but this protection is not enough. If you are attacked by a bear, a stone is better than nothing, but it is not adequate protection. If it works, consider yourself lucky and buy a lottery ticket when you return home. If something as simple as wearing the right mask can save your life during an epidemic outbreak, don’t take unnecessary risks.
  • Surgical masks are designed to be worn by surgeons during medical procedures. They do not protect the wearer (the surgeon). Rather, they protect the patient. They work by stopping secretions such as saliva from the surgeon entering into contact with open wounds and tissue from the patient.
  • Surgical masks are quite ineffective as a barrier against microscopic particles, including viruses. Such small particles pass practically unimpeded through and around surgical masks. Only a low percentage of unlucky particles will be stopped by their non-filtering material. This is totally fine, because it is not their purpose.
  • Surgical mask usage in daily non-medical environments seems to have been imported into Taiwan from Japan. Japanese polite and respectful society demands that if you are sick you don’t infect others. Japanese wearing a surgical mask when sick from a cold to stop their own secretions from being spread around when coughing and sneezing, thus infecting others. In Taiwan, this was obviously misunderstood, and surgical masks are believed to protect the wearer when it is actually the other way around.

Don’t just take my word, since I’m a biased human. Go and check them, and correct me if I’m wrong.

4 Likes