Vogmask - protection from air pollution in Taiwan

Ok so I wanna buy some masks for friends in HK, what are the readily available or off the shelf N95 masks that I can get relatively easily?

You can go for cheaper, one time use disposable masks from 3M, that are tested and certified N95. You should not have problem finding them in retail (physical) shops around Taiwan, but in times of peak demand (such as NOW) I would be concerned about fakes if buying from smaller stores. I imagine these masks should also be readily available in HK at the moment, but knowing merchants, by now they are probably double or triple their usual price.

Your other option is going for the more expensive, higher class, reusable Vogmask. In terms of filtering efficiency both offer adequate protection, but this is only true if the mask properly fits the userā€™s face, making a tight air seal around the edges. I find Vogmask much easier to fit, with its 5 different sizes and being designed to last months of daily usage.

Recently, countless other Chinese brands of one-time use masks have appeared out of nowhere. All of them are marketed as certified N95 masks, some even CE certified. I canā€™t speak for their quality, but I know at least some of them are lying about their certifications. I would avoid them altogether.

If you decide to go with Vogmask, there are currently 13 physical retailers selling our masks, so you might have one near you. This can be helpful if you just want to see the real thing first and get an idea of the different sizes. Our retailers carry a limited selection, and in particular they might not have the new M+ and XL sizes, but we can deliver any of our items available online to your nearest store under request. Ordering online is probably still the most convenient way, usually received in less than 24 hours. Bless Taiwanā€™s logistics.

You can find the link to our official online store at the top. Never buy Vogmask from random online marketplaces. We have seen sellers from China offering repackaged expired masks and worse. This really hurts our brand, because first time users will get an inferior product without being aware of it.

We are almost sold out on all the older models, but new stock is on its way.

2 Likes

Hey Gustavo, I was interested in buying a Vogmask for pollution and now it becomes urgent to be protected for the virus lol. Iā€™m confused about the sizes, in the FAQ you only describe 3 sizes S M L and L is for 12cm+. But on product page XL is for 11cm+
I measured myself to be 11.5cm, what should I take?
You should think about updating the FAQ as it is a bit confusing.
If I do have to buy a XL one, do you know when the stocks will be back? Every XL is out of stock for now.

Thank you for bringing Vogmask to Taiwan!
Cheers

New stock is on its way, including XL sized masks. Expected arrival date is Friday 31, barring any delays.

This might be the last shipment arriving until March due to the tight supply situation. I will try to secure more stock for Taiwan, but it is not looking promising right now.

Export of N95 masks, including Vogmask, has ben banned in Taiwan for the time being. At least you can rest assured that the masks we do have are staying in Taiwan :sweat_smile:

You are right, the FAQ is outdated. Here is our current size recommendation:

This is only an approximate guide, because human faces are so different. In your case, L size might work, although it might be a little tight, especially around the ears for the first couple of days. In those cases, some gentle manual stretching of the earloops out of the box often helps.
There is a considerable jump in size from L to XL. If L size is only slightly tight the first few days and then fits fine afterwards, XL will be too lose. If you have a Vogmask retailer near you, it might help you to walk there and check the different sizes for real before buying.

Gustavo, Iā€™ve been wanting to buy one of these masks for my wife. Until this recent situation she has refused. Just bought one online and will give it a review here once she gets/wears it for a while. Good selling.

1 Like

Thank you! Let me know if she has any complaints :slightly_smiling_face:

Thank you very much for the reply and updates! Really appreciate it.
Cheers!

After reading the below website and looking at it a bit more i decided to go with the Cambridge mask. (as mentioned by some one above)

I have also linked the company website just to give an alternative product.

https://www.cambridgemask.com.tw/index.html

1 Like

Iā€™m going with theseā€¦

3 Likes

I thought you would want one of these

1 Like

Disclaimer: remember that I represent the local Vogmask distributor, so whatever I write here is my rant and not the view of Vogmask as a brand.

Such ā€œexpertsā€ as the Lady of Lyme blog writer just linked do more harm than good. Her ā€œfact checkingā€ amounts to going by Cambridge Maskā€™s word. If she was not paid for that article as she said, she did a good job for them nonetheless.

At Vogmask, as a policy, we do not pick on our competition and simply focus on improving our product, but to prevent spreading misinformation, I will have to write some facts:

Cambridge Mask founder worked for Vogmask in China and had access to extensive confidential information and data property of Vogmask. One good day he left and started selling his own masks as an original product. They are a shameful clone.

Cambridge Mask is very agressive with online marketing and fantastical claims. Vogmask, on the other hand, tries not to hype and overpromise. The blogger linked above falls on this trap. One of her complaints about Vogmask compared to Cambridge mask is that Vogmask does not guarantee viral and bacterial filtration, while Cambridge does. Here is a fact:

Vogmask has been tested by one of the worldwide top labs in viral filtratrion efficiency for respirators, and result was higher than 99.9% (as high as the test goes, and higher than Cambridge by their own account). If Vogmask does not guarantee safety against viruses it is because that is the only responsible thing to do. Consumer masks are not approved for medical usage. Of course, you can promise it if you have no principles.

Vogmask does not filter gases, and does not lie about it. Anyone selling a similar mask claiming that it filters gases is making a fool of himself. If you need to filter VOCs, chemical vapors and such, you need to follow what @suigeneris recommended:

And do not get me started on the ā€œmilitary gradeā€ filters. I could just say Vogmask uses ā€œNASAs Jet Propulsion Labsā€ derived technology for its filters, and it would mean the same thing: nothing.
I have heard Cambridge Mask first tried to get the same filters we use for Vogmask, but our filter supplier refused them as a show of respect for our longstanding working relationship with them (one good thing about not manufacturing in China). I cannot confirm the veracity of this.
Vogmaskā€™s filter is state of the art. While other competitors can theoretically offer similar performance, be suspicious of any product claiming to be immensely superior or doing things nobody else can.

I am all for fair competition, and that is why things like that blog pretending to ā€œcheck factsā€ while doing the opposite get on my nerves.

By the way, Vogmask makes considerable technical improvements on its products year after year. Letā€™s compare apples to apples.

Bonus fact: Vogmask took some extra effort to actually get the CE mark and pass the FFP1 and FFP2 certifications in the EU some time ago. We saw some of our competitors shamelessly using the CE mark logo or claiming to have it, while we know they were just lying about it. Nobody cared.

2 Likes

Anything past this point i class as profiteering,
i have no reason to believe you over any other blogger.

Here is a list of alternative masks available some more and some less expensive

I wonā€™t recommend any mask as Iā€™m not an expert or a sales person, just letting people know there are different ones on the market and to make up their own mind.

1 Like

Absolutely correct from your standpoint.

I wonā€™t expect anyone to take my facts, Iā€™m biased. I just share what I know, in opposition of the previously linked blog, as a starting point for anyone interested in verifying the facts.

On the other hand, since I suffer from asthma and Iā€™m hypersensitive to air pollution, if there was a better mask I would be interested in knowing about it. I started distributing Vogmask in Taiwan after using it (imported) for 1 year because it was the best available. Thought if I can benefit from it, so can Taiwanese.

The more choice the better. All of them are going to be sold out in two weeks and people will need alternative sources of protection.

Some countries (Taiwan included) are restricting exports of N95 masks.

1 Like

Do these come in XXXL?

will this fit?

2 Likes

Would one even be allowed to get on the MRT it HSR wearing a hazmat suit? Just wondering.

Yes, it would. But it would make going to McDonaldā€™s a bit inconvenient. Especially since their doors are already narrow to start with.

Get the little pink pandas to bring it

very nice indeed, love it

Iā€™m going with one of these. No one will come close.

1 Like