Vogmask - protection from air pollution in Taiwan

Hey @gustavoqueipo could you perhaps explain the stated “need” to change filters (and thus masks since the filters are not replaceable) every 6-12 months (or whatever it is)?

Is there some component that “expires”? Is there too much buildup and the filters become ineffective? Do they break down and let larger particles through?

And, Realistically, what happens if we keep using it beyond that recommended date?

That’s why something like this is better. Wear it a few weeks and throw it away. Replace with a new mask/filter.

With use, particle buildup will eventually clog up the filtering material. This does not render the filter less efficient, so don’t be afraid of particles passing through as long as you are wearing the mask properly. It is more like the opposite: when the filter clogs up, air flow will become more restricted, increasing breathing resistance. This occurs very progressively, and it is up to the user to decide when the mask feels unfomfortable to breath in and it is time for a replacement. It will mostly depend on how bad the air is while using your mask. If you are driving in traffic daily, you will surely need a replacement faster than if you are jogging on the seaside. As long as it isn’t Kaohsiung’s seaside.

Based on my own experience in Taiwan, I always have 2 masks that I alternate so that I always have a clean, dry mask ready (and because I like wearing different styles). I usually get 10 months out of the pair, so that’s 5 months of daily use for each.

The filtering material is well protected in between the external layers and it will not break under normal use. Just basic care will do (wash by hand, etc). Note that washing the mask simply keeps the external layers clean and fresh. It will not extend the life of your filter. Be gentle when washing the mask.

There is no “expiry date” as such. There is a “shelf life” date printed on the box of every mask. It is meant for retailers and what it actually means is “do not sell this mask past this date”. It is set at 3 years after manufacturing date or something similar. This date is only a precaution to ensure the product is in optimal conditions when received by our customers, but honestly, it is quite conservative. It could as well be 5 years. Masks past this point are donated to charity.

2 Likes

What about the particles a person exhales does not that block up the filter ?

Exhaled air will exit the mask via the exhale valve (or valves), and will not be filtered. Any amount of particulate matter caught inside will be negligible compared to what comes from outside.

1 Like

Change “months” for “weeks” and you’ve got Vogmask. Except easier to fit, more comfortable to wear, sustainable and way more stylish. I would say it is overall better than disposable masks.

Then there is this…

:laughing:

Ok folks. The wife and I took the plunge this evening and purchased three Vogmasks at 21:00.

https://vogmask.tw/en/

As I mentioned, I’ve got a doctor’s appointment at a major hospital on Thursday afternoon and then again on Friday morning. I couldn’t find any other N95 options anywhere else, so we’ll see how this goes.

My wife is also a long term allergy sufferer. She’s very sensitive to automotive exhaust, pollen, smog, dust and burning fires on farms where we live. She routinely uses the cheapo paper surgical masks when she has difficulties, but they aren’t very effective. The attraction to the Vogmask is the reported quality of filtering, the ability to wash and re-use for an extended time. She doesn’t need to wear a mask every day and every where she goes, but she always keeps surgical masks in her purse and in the car when her allergies act up. Hopefully the Vogmask will be a good investment for her.

I will report back my unbiased findings as to the quality, durability, ease of use, comfort, etc.

I guess the first review will be how fast they get to us and if they get to us before I have to go to the hospital on Thursday afternoon.

Details later.

2 Likes

Eh may I suggest some cat/kitten/dog/puppy designs would attract more local customers? People here like cute.

I hate pandas!

Your setup feels like the industrial use ones I wore during SARS, plastic with a replaceable filter. But look much better and I think they should be more comfortable.

I agree. I’m not Chinese, therefore I don’t want the pandas. How about something Taiwanese? I love birds.

Blue Magpie 002 Blue Magpie Kingfisher Mullers Barbet 001 Mullers Barbet 002

Koalas? With a tie in to give a percentage to koala rehabilitation centers? Like the koala shaped Japanese chocolate cookies?

2 Likes

This season in fact is heavy with animal-themed styles:

Image00001 Image00003
Image00004 Image00002
Image00005 Image00006

There are your cats, dogs, birds and even some unicorns. I guess carnivore plants don’t count.

YET… Taiwanese only seem interested in black masks. Our designer is not feeling the love.

That is a sensible suggestion. I will pass it on. Not necessarily koalas, but also wallabys, wombats… OK, maybe not wombats.

1 Like

Did not see these on your website.

1 Like

So the bottom line is that as long as I am okay with the breathability, the mask will continue to be effective, even for several years?

Also regarding sizing, right now I have a large, but the straps pull my ears forward a bit - I had to stretch them out and even still they pull a bit. Does the sizing affect this, so I should get XL?

Also also, I just checked the site and found that there’s no N99 in all black. Is that right? I seem to recall there was one before. To me there’s no difference between an N95 reusable and an N95 disposable - they just don’t sell the N99 disposables and so that before (along with better breathability of 2 vents and black color compared to the 3M vented ones that were pure white) was the reason to get Vogmask. Now it looks like you guys are taking the product design in a different direction :frowning:

They were all sent to Australia for the bushfires. We didn’t even get a chance.

That is correct. Keep us updated on that!

If you go way beyond the reasonable ideal use of the mask, you will start to feel quite uncomfortable with it. Use your own judgement to determine when it’s worth a change.

How long have you been using the mask that pulls on your ears? Sometimes I have had masks that felt uncomfortable after an hour of two. This only happened when the mask was still pretty new. A few weeks later, I wouldn’t even notice I’m wearing it.
If the L size fits you perfectly, except for the ear loops issue you mentioned, chances are the XL will be too big for you, and not form a tight seal around your face.
If the problem with the earloops persists, you could try adding the head strap. It will move most of the support to the back of your head.

Only a few N99 units remain, in limited styles and sizes. N99 masks are discontinued. All the new ones are now N95. There were a few reasons for the change, but mostly, Vogmask customers (worldwide, not just in Taiwan), preferred a mask that was easier to breath, even if it meant giving up 2~3% of filtration efficiency (that is the difference between the current N95 filter and the previous N99 filter). The breathing resistance of the new N95 mask is less than half compared to the old N99 one. It is overall a better balance, and specially in Taiwan where pollution is not extreme but heat and humidity are.

Don’t be mistaken about our masks with 2 valves. They are not easier to breath in compared to the 1 valve models. The 2 valves are there to compensate for the different breathability of organic cotton. I would say the 1 valved microfiber masks are still easier to breath in, but some people just prefer the feel of organic cotton. The valves are mostly there to keep the mask drier and cooler.

For me, Vogmask feels more comfortable, being designed with better quality materials to last longer. I find the disposable masks akin to single-use plates and cuttlery. They get the job done when you are in a pinch (most of the times anyway), but that is as far as they go. They are ugly and generate a lot of unnecessary waste. Of course, this is just my personal taste!

Honestly, I don’t get much of a say in terms of product design. I make suggestions and forward customer concerns, but then it is up to THEM.

5 Likes

Interesting. I will consider the single valve next time but still would want N99 and thus will keep mine for now - several years old and breathability is still fine.

I appreciate your passion for the product and your thorough & informative replies.

1 Like

That is a nice way of saying “the massive walls of text you write every damn time” :sweat_smile:
Thanks.

2 Likes

Do Vogmasks come with a disposable filter for the inside similar to 3M? Or is the filter built in and you wash it?

How to wash the mask?

All your answers shall be answered… on this link:
Vogmask FAQ: Maintenance

2 Likes