Voltage Adaptor?

Most of the “stuff” I bring travelling has no need for Voltage Adaptor, only plug adaptor:

Just to be sure, I checked the following items in my posession:

Aeer Notebook
Sony Digital Camera
Sony Video Camera
Sony Ericsson mobile phone
Motorola mobile phone

…all the power adaptors (AC-DC) indicates that they accept 100-240 VAC as input, and thus you only need the adaptor plug to fit various outlets.

Good luck, and have a nice trip.

5 kg … handy for traveling? That’s about 25% of your weight allowens … so, don’t pack too much underwear … and, who needs a hairdryer in Tibet anyways … :slight_smile:

Right, well as you can see I am a professional travel writer, truly on top of my trade. :laughing:

OK, picked one up a plug adaptor pretty easily today. All I need is for recharging my camera battery. No point bringing anything else where I’m going. I’ll be lucky enough to have running water let along electricity.

Electric shaver? I’m coming back as a Yeti.

Anyway, ta for all the feedback.

I used to have this problem between US and AUS. I just went to the local tech store and bought a bunch of plugs in a bag. All seems to work fine. Then one day, I had to have Homey show up on my door step. Homey was a nice guy but - not a clue. One day I look at my dining room table and I see a monster slab of seel that is omitting an ominous hum. I jump back, nail it a few times with a 9mm and wonder WTF? Homey comes out in his altogether (more info that I EVER wanted to now(see) and rescues his adapter.
Moral: Dont do things that hum in the tropics
Semi true story

Do you mean an adapter that will convert 220v to 110 volt output? If you mean the other around from what I just stated you can’t get one. Yes, you can probably find them at RT Mart, B&Q, Carrefore, the computer market, 3C and any other electrical store. There are generally two standards and they only differ in build quality. If you need one for long term use i.e. permanently on for six months, then you need the better one.[/quote]

The good ones are based on a transformer and should last about forever. The downside is that they are heavier and bigger, especially if you need a high wattage one. The cheap ones use resistors and capacitors and while they are much lighter, they do bad things to the waveform of the electrical supply, emit lots of heat, waste electricity, and are much more likely to fail, sometimes with unpleasant effect to whatever is attached to it.

If it’s a transformer type, the 110 to 220 model is exactly the same as the 220 to 110 model, just hooked up backwards. Be careful though, they can also be a 110 to 55 or 220 to 440 model if you hook it up wrong. Basically a transformer like this will double the voltage in one direction or halve it in the other direction. The non-transformer kind clip the voltage, so they can only reduce the voltage.

For transformers of any size you can go to a shop near Guanghua Shangchang (Zhongxiao Xinsheng mrt station): walk from the MRT station in northern direction on Xinsheng S. Rd. Turn left at lane 12 (the first lane with shops). The first shop there, on the left side, sells transformers at 1F. Some really big ones too.

Besides that, this shop (and its neighboring shop) sells many electronics tools and electronics components.

(edit: the shop’s name is Jin Hua (今華), see their shop locations http://www.jin-hua.com.tw)

Celebrating my 70th post! :smiley: