Voltage Adaptor?

Where can I find a voltage adaptor: 110 to 220?

What for?

Travelling. Need an adaptor so I can plug my stuff into Chinese and Tibetan outlets.

Check the Guanghua computer market, and especially that underground complex at the old Guanghua location. There’s one store down there that specializes in adaptors, btw, including heavy-duty ones.

Thanks. Do you know what they are called in Chinese?

I’ve got one lying around somewhere that I can loan you…When are you leaving?

MJB

In a few days if the situation in Tibet settles down. Thanks for the offer but I need to go out and do a lot of shopping anyway tomorrow or Monday so it’s easy enough to pick one up now that I know where to look.

Bian Ya Qi [change pressure {voltage} equipment]

Guanghua used to sell them. Isn’t it defunct now?

Do you mean an adapter that will convert 220v to 110 volt output? If you mean the other around from what I just stated you can’t get one. Yes, you can probably find them at RT Mart, B&Q, Carrefore, the computer market, 3C and any other electrical store. There are generally two standards and they only differ in build quality. If you need one for long term use i.e. permanently on for six months, then you need the better one.

Do you mean an adapter that will convert 220v to 110 volt output? If you mean the other around from what I just stated you can’t get one. Yes, you can probably find them at RT Mart, B&Q, Carrefore, the computer market, 3C and any other electrical store. There are generally two standards and they only differ in build quality. If you need one for long term use i.e. permanently on for six months, then you need the better one.[/quote]

Doh, yes of course the other way.

Did you check your adaptors? Now a days most are made for universal use 110/220V … just the pins are different and you’ll need an adaptor for that only … there is a travle plug adaptor that tackles the most common pins … US, UK, Europe, Japan Taiwan … India and HK I believe use the 3 fat-pin UK system …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Did you check your adaptors? Now a days most are made for universal use 110/220V … just the pins are different and you’ll need an adaptor for that only … there is a travle plug adaptor that tackles the most common pins … US, UK, Europe, Japan Taiwan … India and HK I believe use the 3 fat-pin UK system …[/quote]You mean most appliances will take both 110 and 220? That’s certainly true of the electronic devices I’ve bought in the last few years. Not sure about things such as shavers.

Good point. Pieman, and if that is the case, you can pick them up in any airport - HK and CKS have them, I got a couple last month, although they are much cheaper at the wu jin, or hardware stores.

I routinely travel from 220 (HK) to 110 (Thailand & Taiwan), basically nothing I have requires altering the voltage, just the plug. Mind you I do have a Mac book and they assure me - and so far it seems okay - to automatically detect the voltage and adjust for it. Phone/Blackberry chargers, speakers you name it, they all work on both.

HG

Some are, my Braun was … you just had to switch a knob … and some are even battery powered, load once and you get juice for 3-4 days …
Anyways, shaving wet is the way to go … no need for electricity …

There are even USB chargers, plug in your laptop USB and recharge any small appliance

Right again. I got a brilliant little charger that does any mobile phone or Blackberry off the laptop. What a neat little godsend!

HG

Even the new LCD monitors and printers are made for dual use 110/220V … why make two when you export worldwide …

Off course, when you take your electric space heater from Taiwan to Tibet to get some warmth … you need a transformer … :slight_smile:

What do you mean by “stuff” ? The power requirements are important when choosing the right adaptor. You might not even need one, depending on your “stuff”.

Well you know, stuff, stuff. Is that not clear enough?

HG

I have got a number of these adaptors at home as the country before here and the country after is 220-230v.

The are all over the place. Be careful of wattage. Hairdryers, shavers and clippers can be fairly high and you can blow those smaller travel types.
There are digital types which are high wattage (around 1600w for example) but be careful what you plug into them as long term use can be damaging (wave is not a pure sine or something like that).

A useful one I got in Singapore is a 100w analog type, with reversing.

Guang Hua basement is the best selection. I got a nice 1500w industrial type analog type recently for about 2000nt. Weighs about 5 kg+. Really handy for travelling. :wink: