VTEC 1, 2 or 3?

Once again I need some knowledge from all big bikers here… I just purchased a 03 CB400 VTEC2 and since this is my 1st big bike ever, I try to gather more info on this…

here’s the question : what are the differences between VTEC1 version to VTEC 2 and 3?..so far, all I know is that in VTEC1, the four valves opens at 6750rpm while VTEC2 reduce to 6300rpm…but how about VTEC3? and are there any other differences beside this?

Also, is there anyway I can download the english manual instruction from internet?..any useful link related to CB400 (forum, etc…) would be great too…Thanks

IIRC,
VTEC1 activates at 6,700rpm.
VTEC2 activates at 6,300rpm.
VTEC3 activates at 6,300rpm in 1st gear thru 5th, and 6,700rpm in 6th gear. This model also has the LED tail lights.

firstly, congratulations… great bike, lots of fun, good choice… just watch out for clearance on the footpegs, they tend to touch down very early in corners, which can be mildly alarming in a “I’m going to loose the front and hit the cliff” kind of way…

as far as I know that changes for the Hyper V-Tech SpecIII are the variable cut on point for different gears as Hsiadogah mentioned above, some FI map tweaking to reduce emissions at the all important 5000rpm testing point, some exhaust plumbing / packing changes to reduce noise levels as the V-Tech kicks in and cosmetic bodywork changes to the tail unit (flatter, included OEM grab rail and added LED’s) and headlight assembly and surround… [EDIT: just remebered the SpecIII comes with Honda’s HISS key imobiliser system as well…]

IMHO the V-TechII was the best looking version hands down (although I’m biased since I used to have one)… I don’t like the new “even smaller” bodywork changes of the SpecIII although since I’ve never ridden one I couldn’t say if the V-Tech is significantly different… I’d speculate that there probably is a tangible difference, although not a positive one since when they say “refined for even cleaner emissions and noise values” they really mean “we put a flat spot smack bang in the middle of the rev range and choked the gas flow a bit too”…

as for forums and owners clubs try searching on Singapore based websites… CB400’s are to Singapore what sheep are to New Zealand.

• ie. they’re everywhere and the locals love to ride them

:smiling_imp: he he just kidding… much love to all New Zealanders out there, but seriously I’m sure you could find a Singapore based, English CB400 forum or two…

Thanks both of you…I found a discussion specially for CB400 at singaporebikes.com, thanks

[quote=“plasmatron”]CB400’s are to Singapore what sheep are to New Zealand.

• ie. they’re everywhere and the locals love to ride them
    [/quote] :laughing: :notworthy:

StreetSpec, I owned one for a few months. Great city bike. When you get used to it, and are looking for some more zip I recommend the following.

1. New FCR from Yoshimura (+7HP)
  2. Full exhaust system Yosh or TSR (+3-5HP) *BTW the factory pipe has a power restricting baffle in the mid pipe region.
  3. K&N air filter
  4. A set of rear Ohlins shocks and Ohlin replacement springs for the front forks wouldn’t be a bad idea either, the stock shocks are way to soft and bouncy.

Here’s a pic of the one I owned 2 years ago: pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eric_diep … pg&.src=ph

Is there a big difference in ride and handling between the rear twin shocks of the 400 as opposed to the monoshock of, say, a Hornet 250? I’ve been wondering what kind of bike I would get that would be the most suitable for everyday driving here, and it’s kind of a toss-up between the CBR400 and the Hornet 250.

K&N airfilter…done…muffler and shock, wait till the wife calm down… :wink: …BTW, what is FCR?..and what about “OVER” exhaust system compared to yoshimura?

Paogao, I had the same question as yours several months ago…I asked around (see “hornet or VTR250” thread) and most of them recommend me to get CB400…and I tell you this, I would regret if I got myself a hornet 250 in the first place…It’s totally different riding experience…The feel and force when the VTEC opens up is quite an experience…Therefore I would suggest you to get the CB…

nope, not really… not with those bikes anyway…

the twin shock design is the older design which basically dates back to Soichiro Honda bolting generator motors onto converted bicycle frames… the weakpoints of the twin shock design is that 2 shocks weigh more than one, 2 shocks cost more than one, but more importantly it’s hard to get both shocks to react in the exact same way to suspension inputs… ie. if you want to adjust the compression damping, rebound damping, pre-load or whatever just so to suit a particular road surface / track it’s harder to do when you’ve got 2 seperate shocks that react and perform slightly differently to each other…

monoshocks came around when frame technology increased past the engine being a “stessed member”… ooer… with the shocks attached to a huge big sub frame bolted on the back of it, to a point where the frame does all (most) of the load bearing with the engine, subframe, swingarm pivots and shock linkages bolted onto it… being able to mount a single shock with varying linkage systems also allows engineers to fine tune rear suspension travel, rates and performance… but also refines the suspension to apoint where a single system is carrying out all the suspension duties, which makes the system much easier to control and fine tune…

so monoshocks are better on paper, but unless you really have to get the absolute best out of your suspension because you’re riding at 99% of your bike’s ability, it’s not that big a factor, especially on what are comparatively speaking, lower performance bikes… in fact most people with ultra flash aftermarket suspension costing well over NT$100K ride around on settings almost exactly the same as the stock items would have provided… in addition the shocks on both the CB4 and especially the Hornet 250 are fairly budget items with only pre-load adjustment anyway…

but if you’re chosing between the Hornet 250 or the CB400 the CB400 wins hands down, no contest… 250cc’s are fun for the first 5 rides and then the novelty wears off… even with the sharper handling you’d get with the little Hornet, the lack of grunt will get tired very quickly… the 600 Hornet however is fantastic and I’d recommend it over the CB400, but if you want a rock solid everyday commuter that’s still a blast on weekend’s, low profile, low cost the CB4’s what you’re after IMHO :idunno:[/list]

Do you mean the CBR400 or the CB400? If it is the CB400 then hands down the choice would be the CB400. The stock mono shock on the Hornet is too stiff and doesn’t have as much feedback. And for everyday riding the more upright position is much more comfortable. Finally, the seat on the CB400 is a bit wider and has more padding than the Hornet’s seat.

Thanks for the info. I really liked the way the 250 took the twisties with it’s big rear tire, etc. Also, being cheaper, not having to get the big bike license or pay the extra taxes or have the “steal me” yellow plate were some of my reasons to like the Hornet. Plus it’s not a slow bike when revved up. The seat was uncomfortable, however, and it lacked low-end grunt.

Now I just need to get the big bike license, I guess, and rent a 400 to see if it’s worth the extra expense (Catch-22: have to get the license to see whether I want the license).

it may kind of defeat the purpose of trying to avoid that hassle, but in Taichung there are rental places that are happy to let you ride out the door with any of the bikes they have sans licence, as long as you’ve signed on the somewhat daunting bottom line… failing that if you’re keen I’m 95% certain I can arrange a test ride on a CB400 belonging to a mate of mine if you’re interested, although again this is in Taichung… send me a PM if you’re interested…

Kawasakirider: Completely off-topic, but where was that photo taken? And what on earth are those things in the background?

[quote=“StreetSpec”] I just purchased a 03 CB400 VTEC2 and since this is my 1st big bike ever, I try to gather more info on this…
[/quote]

Looks like I’ll be heading this way as well in the next couple of months…Would you mind letting us know what a 2 year old CB400 runs for?

I got quoted 289,000NT in Chungli for a new one…

It looks like it’s somewhere on the north coast, probably close to Danshui (?).
I remember seeing those abandoned holiday resorts a couple of years ago.

Yes, that place in the pic is between Danshui and Bai Shan Wan. I heard they used to be beach resort motels, but have been closed down for a decade now. Remnants of the past, they look really retro.

MJB: My buddy just sold his VTEC II for $210,000NT. Most used CB400s from '02-'03 range from $210,000-$240,000. Anything more is a rip off.

Plasmatron: I don’t get down to Taichung that often, but if I do I’ll give you a buzz.

Those “flying saucer” places have been derelict for about 20 years at least, though there are still some squatters.

[quote=“KawasakiRider”]Yes, that place in the pic is between Danshui and Bai Shan Wan. I heard they used to be beach resort motels, but have been closed down for a decade now. Remnants of the past, they look really retro.

MJB: My buddy just sold his VTEC II for $210,000NT. Most used CB400s from '02-'03 range from $210,000-$240,000. Anything more is a rip off.[/quote]

That damn place has been closed for alot longer than ten years…It was abandoned when I lived out there, and for quite a while by the look of it back in 1988.

Thanks for the info on the bike prices…But I think I’m going new this time, tired of dealing with other people’s junk.

[quote=“MJB”][quote=“KawasakiRider”]Yes, that place in the pic is between Danshui and Bai Shan Wan. I heard they used to be beach resort motels, but have been closed down for a decade now. Remnants of the past, they look really retro.

MJB: My buddy just sold his VTEC II for $210,000NT. Most used CB400s from '02-'03 range from $210,000-$240,000. Anything more is a rip off.[/quote]

That damn place has been closed for alot longer than ten years…It was abandoned when I lived out there, and for quite a while by the look of it back in 1988.

Thanks for the info on the bike prices…But I think I’m going new this time, tired of dealing with other people’s junk.[/quote]

MJB,
I got mine for $215K but it’s in mint condition with only 5000km on the clock…I also checked the price on the new one at several bike shops before and the cheapest I could get is $280K (all included)

StreetSpec, what color did you get? Post some pics of your baby.