Wack (and tragic) things in Cambodia

Even if you’re wearing a helmet and have a license they just go, well you don’t have ownership papers so it’s still 300 baht.

A post was split to a new topic: Human trafficking rings in Taiwan

What’s it cost to blow up various animals now? how much for a child?

last time I was there it was 400 for a cow.

On the tragic side in Cambodia: a dynastic family transfer of power, as if this is what the neighbourhood really needs.

Guy

1 Like

More reporting on the cozy relations between Cambodia and the PRC. What a deal!

Guy

4 Likes

“The main obstacle is that many of the Chinese that run human trafficking and scam rings in Cambodia have a lot of influence,” says Ekapop Lueangprasert, a Bangkok volunteer whose network rescues and repatriates Thai victims. “If the local Cambodian authorities hear anything about a raid from their Thai counterparts, they inform the gangs, who move the victims and confiscate their phones. Sometimes when there are raids, the rescuers find the location empty.”

1 Like

Someone was making fake videos about being tortured or whatever (complete with props and fake blood and all that) in Cambodia. They were arrested and sentenced to 2 years. The crime is basically making fake news and destroying the country’s reputation.

But that’s really fast, how does Cambodia justice work, do they just arrest you and then hand down a sentence in like a couple of days?

If they’re really unlucky, they’ll be “repatriated” to China to serve their terms.

The Taipei Times has an English-language report on this apparent scam artist (in modern lingo, an “influencer”):

Guy

1 Like

My question is, does Cambodia just impose a sentence after 3 days? Usually the wheels of justice turns a lot slower than that. Or did they make a special exception for this?

I think they just do whatever they feel like at the moment.

One of the best books ever:

Off the Rails in Phnom Penh: Into the Dark Heart of Guns, Girls, and Ganja by Amit Gilboa | Goodreads

There is a character in the book called John the Canadian. I think they should make a movie about this bloke.

2 Likes

Alas, this distinctive form of stupidity is not restricted to Cambodia, as this twit from Singapore operating in K-Town clearly shows:

Guy

2 Likes

Yeah, so implausible. Who would waste perfectly good eggs remembering the last year shortages :rofl:

3 Likes

Pig butchering scheme ran by Chinese criminals now in Dubai and uses migrant workers there.

John Oliver also covered Pig Butchering scam in his last show

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Waddlethon - Girl Streaming Her Walk Across Taiwan