Wack Things in Taiwan 2019

Nothings a problem until it’s a problem. Depends what you like. You like it. Many don’t. Used to frequent the Breeze center in that area and other spots. The graffiti put a damper on it personally. But hey whatever. I call it the way I see it. The eyes don’t lie

I’m having a laugh and yes I did notice it was prevalent in some areas . The tags on the shutters. But I think there are many worse eyesores out there that’s all.

Ah so HAVE noticed something then :sweat_smile:

One down. One to go @afterspivak where do you live exactly?

I reside in the heart of Heavenly Dragon Kingdom with regular excursions to my beloved hometown Hsinchu.

I guess my paths fly right over Kavalan Country. : D

Guy

Bam! Finished these two doubters off and it’s not even lunch yet.

I learnt the Chinese word for graffiti 塗鴉

Glad at least the discussion is being had amongst some locals. Catch and fine these idiots. Surely with all these cameras around but police aren’t going to do the forensics so they probably get away with it and on it goes.

They even had a guy on ICRT recently from the UK about what an art it was bla bla. Maybe he was doing the murals one hopes

Local government doing some good work on this. Opening up areas for proper artists who do amazing murals. Promote these guys, and arrest the guys who spray can squiggle their name on wall and run away.

I’ve noticed more in my hood in Taipei recently. Some fresh tags (are they still called that?) put up a fortnight or so ago. A lot of that bubble lettering style, looks the real deal. I don’t really react strongly to it. If it was on some thousand year old sandstone building I might show some middle class outrage. But hey, most of Taipei is a knockdown as far as I’m concerned, so go forth young street artists. Maybe a bit more colour, proper murals would be nice. But in this surveillance city it is probably too risky to hang around and make it beautiful.

1 Like

Wrong, I picked up some money, bought a lottery ticket and got the jackpot! :crazy_face: Than I put the money back.

1 Like

Saw a girl crying and another girl consoling her at the sink in Starbucks. Or so I thought but I was wrong.

She was washing off makeup and they were practicing at a table in the corner with their own mirror setups and supplies.

3 Likes

Pet peeve:

When you go to the laowai section of Carrefour (for example), and buy some imported product that needs to be prepared, like soup or couscous or curry (for example), take it home and find that the cooking instructions and ingredients are listed in six languages, French, German, Italian, Spanish, English and Serbo-Croatian (for example), but they ALWAYS put the Chinese instruction sticker (which is impossible to remove without a laser or TNT) over the English instructions.
Seriously, are there more French/German/Italian/Spanish/Serbo-Croatian speaking waiguoren in Taiwan than English speakers?
And before some sanctimonious twerp writes “Why don’t you learn Chinese” (for example): it’s not the point, it’s a straw man, and it’s none of your business, :kissing_smiling_eyes:
And I’m most certainly not learning Serbo-Croatian.

16 Likes

I hate that too

5 Likes

You a better off learning German. :de:

On a serious note. Just use your phone camera to translate the label. But better translate other than Chinese text. Those computer translations are bad with Chinese -> English

1 Like

That’s exactly my pet peeve too!!! Why don’t they stick those Chinese instructions elsewhere on the package??? Although I can read chinese to a certain extent, I still find it hard to decipher everything 100% and with those wordings so small on the label (especially if the language used is something different that what we’re used to, it becomes more difficult to read it), I usually give up and just cook using my common sense.

On a side note, I bought those sticker removal liquid (自粘貼紙清除劑) from a stationery store and have been using it to remove those darn labels and it works great!!! IMG_0023

9 Likes

Bru? People stopped using that term in, like, 1990, yeah?

Thanks! That’s the most useful post I’ve seen on Forumosa in 19 years!

4 Likes

Better than just water?

That specific product, I don’t know, but there are certainly other products far better than water. Don’t you have glass jars or plastic containers with that bit of plastic residue you can never get rid of, no matter how much you wash them?

Plus in this case the goal is to remove the top sticker, and preserve the label that’s underneath.

2 Likes

Okay. I agree in this case water is not the best option.

Yes!! Definitely better than water…you just dab one coat of that liquid onto that label and it peels off entirely…smooth and effective! and it preserves the label underneath, just like lostinasia mentioned.

1 Like