Wack Things In Taiwan 2021

Huh? At least in some countries if you have the means you can put some distance between yourself and high crime areas or a concentrated population of street-level criminals. In Taiwan gangsters are everywhere, they’re your neighbors, you can’t get away from them.

1 Like

So Taiwan has high crime and is comparable to Latin America now? Are you for real? What you described is exactly the problem with these countries. Rich people and poor people go to different schools, use different hospitals, shop in different stores. Exactly how is that a positive thing?

Ok. I never should’ve engaged. What a waste of time.

Why? It’s the truth. Gangsters and wannabe gangsters are everywhere here sadly, they’re not confined to some ghetto like they usually are.

2 Likes

I don’t know which parallel universe you live in, but carry on.

Having lived in a gated community in Guatemala City and in various parts of Taipei City, there is no question of any equivalence between the two in terms of crime. Yes, in Guatemala City I was safe in my home, but that was about the only place I was safe. Every car journey (public transport being incredibly dangerous, walking being suicidal) was fraught with danger, every parking lot had an armed guard, and to simply walk around outdoors in a safe environment required a large police presence.

Yes, you are never going to find a Germantown (model crime-free community I lived in in Memphis), but it’s safe to live one’s life and to wander the streets at any hour here, far more so than my home country, the UK, most American cities, Latin America, etc.

2 Likes

Except @Super_Fire seems to believe gangsters and wannabe gangsters are everywhere in Taiwan and he has to watch out for them wherever he goes.

1 Like

Yeah, he’d no doubt see them in Germantown too.

Dont miss the fact that he is assuming gangsters are poor or maybe all poor people are gangsters.

2 Likes

Killer fled to China :flight_departure:

2 Likes

Nah, ghetto is more about race than class isn’t it?

I don’t think Taiwan is dangerous really but there are still a lot of classless people here…Even middle aged and older people . And way too many wannabes and real gangsters driving like they own the roads. It is a real risk when you encounter them because many seem to not fear the police (for obvious reasons ).

6 Likes

I met what I reckon was a real gangster a few months ago. I was probably lucky to get away in one piece as things were going down South very quickly.

“He changed again at the station and took another taxi to Taoyuan International Airport, where he boarded a plane headed for China at around noon, according to CNA.”

The guy prepared a Covid-19 test in advance? He’s now in quarantine in China?

4 Likes

According to news report he sounds like a professional assassin.

And according to another news report the victim was an expert in drugs and used to produce it.

2 Likes

Wrong, but then again I don’t live in the Taipei bubble. If you live in Tianmu or whatever you’re lucky.

1 Like

What’s it matter where you live we are talking about the statement you made.

1 Like

Real hamsters won’t interact with the public. That’s a free pass to being sold out.

Impossible. There isn’t a drug problem in Taiwan so why would people be getting 86ed in connection to it?

2 Likes

Because it seems a certain set in the foreigner crowd is oddly either out of touch or has their head in the sand. Look, I chose to move to Taiwan but that doesn’t mean I dislike the place or that it having flaws makes us lose face. People like Gain are essentially being Taiwan jingoists and pretending everything is perfect. People do that for the same reason there were Windows vs Mac or Android vs iOS flame wars, because people view their choice as an extension of themselves, which is silly.

4 Likes

What do they expect putting a ladder up?

4 Likes