Wack Things in Taiwan 2022

Someone found a niche

2 Likes

claims by locals that the “monkey is looking after the dog like its own offspring” were not true.

2 Likes

“The monkey and dog are fine, why catch them?”

Never trust a monkey.

1 Like

Since the dog was apparently alive for some time, my hypothesis is that the first monkey was originally attempting to take care of the dog but didn’t know how (not unlike some human owners), and that the dog was subsequently killed by other monkeys (or even by humans). Other monkeys do, after all, exist. The injuries are consistent with some kind of struggle over the dog.

Cases of primates adopting (and being kind to) dogs are not unknown and do not “defy common sense”. However in all such cases both animals are in captivity and are assisted by humans.

The macaque is believed to be an abandoned pet though. I’m going with following pet or doll-play behavior that it learned, as opposed to consciously trying to take care of it, with the natural result of a quick end for the puppy. Even if it was actively trying to care for it, it wouldn’t take other monkeys for it to fail miserably. In fact, from what I know of macaques, a troop of other macaques in the area would mean a quick end for this lone macaque.

There was a city in India where a pack of stray dogs killed a young monkey and the monkeys took revenge chucking dogs off buildings. I’ll see if I can find the link. It was interesting primate behaviour.

2 Likes

Yes, If I remember right, it was an urban legend though. Monkeys may have taken some dogs up to rooftops where they soon died of thirst was the bottom line, I think.

1 Like

It could have been an interesting human reaction to stray dogs dying.

Primates. What can you do?

2 Likes

Quite possibly. I was just suggesting that it probably didn’t deliberately kill the dog. It simply wasn’t aware that it was failing - again, not unlike plenty of humans. For example some people sincerely believe that their dogs can be fed on ‘vegan’ food. A macaque probably wouldn’t grok the idea that dogs don’t eat what monkeys eat.

Maybe. But perhaps there are other feral macaques in the area that have adapted to urban life?

2 Likes
1 Like

It would make a good movie.

1 Like

This could be Disney’s next big animated hit.

1 Like

It would be a bit heavy on death. But it might work.

So, half metre balloon X5. Seems quite a lot of balloon.

IF filled with hydrogen, quite a big bang.

(Neo Big Bang Bin Lahdinism)

If filled with helium (more likely) potentially quite a squeeky voiced argument.

Sounds like a perk of the job, which otherwise isn’t one I would much want.

Just tried the aforementioned lychee orange Oreos.

They taste like washing-up liquid.

2 Likes

So they’re good, or bad?

Depends if you like washing-up liquid, I guess …

I ate three, just to make sure they really are as horrible as I thought.

I like lime. Can’t stand apple. And morning fresh? How’s that supposed to taste anyway? Like the first fag of the day?